Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS/VTEC Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 12:07 AM
93EH6

Default LS/VTEC Questions???

1. When you are doing a LS/VTEC conversion should you replace the crank also cause i heard that the one in the ls is weaker than the one in the vtec engines so should it be replaced with a crank from a vtec engine?

2. How much does it usually cost for all the parts to swap it into a civic hatch?

3. How reliable will it be if i have it done by honda certified mechanics at my local shop?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (BLACK DEATH)

A shop called Fast Trax in Beaverton, OR offered to sell me a whole LS?VTEC set up for my EH, $2500 out the door. That was about 2/3 years ago though.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:51 AM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (D16Z6racing)

If you switch the crank, then it isn't really an LS/VTEC anymore. It would become basically a GSR block then. The only problem with an LS/VTEC motor is it has a slightly worse rod to stroke ratio which does not like high RPM as much. If you change the crank, you get a slightly better rod to stroke ratio like the GSR, but you lose the added displacement of the stroke difference.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:00 AM
93EH6

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you switch the crank, then it isn't really an LS/VTEC anymore. It would become basically a GSR block then. The only problem with an LS/VTEC motor is it has a slightly worse rod to stroke ratio which does not like high RPM as much. If you change the crank, you get a slightly better rod to stroke ratio like the GSR, but you lose the added displacement of the stroke difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So i should or i shouldn't put that in it and also how reliable is it going to be
Old 05-01-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLACK DEATH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So i should or i shouldn't put that in it and also how reliable is it going to be</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could if you want, for the extra displacement.

Reliability depends on how good of a job you or the tuner builds your motor.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go straight GSR if you're gonna put a VTEC crank in it. The point of the LS/VTEC is to have the LS Crank and rods for the upped diplacement and torque. Go with either aftermarket LS rods, shot peened LS rods, or some people even stick w/ the stock LS rods. The crank can be balanced or even knife edged. Some people actually drill for the similar type VTEC oil squirters in the crank(I don't know how safe or reliable this is). What a lot of people do is put in a GSR crank girdle which secures the crank a little better at higher RPMs. The B16 doesn't have crank girdle so it'll have to come from the B18C1 or C5(Type R).

Also a little bit of other advice for the bottom end. Use all the VTEC pumps such as the oil pump and water pump b/c they have more pumping capacity and flow characteristics. Be carefull who you let build this setup. Too much compression is a major player in the LS/VTEC setups going bad. I know so many people that keep blowing headgaskets.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:51 AM
93EH6

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (jigga008_99)

Ok well i am getting it built by my local performance shop both of the mechanics are honda certified and have been doing it for years so i should be reliable will i have more or less power with a gsr crank
Old 05-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (lazy bum shaughn)

Reliability will also depend on how you drive it. If it's not fully built, and you're revving above 8k, it won't last as long. My roommates LS/VTEC lasted over 100,000 miles, before finally throwing a rod.

not sure why I'm helping this kid after he talked **** to me
Old 05-01-2003, 12:18 PM
93EH6

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> not sure why I'm helping this kid after he talked **** to me </TD></TR></TABLE>

When did i talk **** to you please refresh my memory.

Also i will probably never go over 7200 so i am hoping it will last a long time
Old 05-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLACK DEATH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When did i talk **** to you please refresh my memory.

Also i will probably never go over 7200 so i am hoping it will last a long time</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was joking, was a while back, something about how I need to think before I post, it was kinda funny. But as far as the LS/Vtec, you should rev it further than 7200, cause you'll still be making plenty of power, I just wouldn't suggest going past 8k too often, the bottom end, unless fully built, isn't designed for it, and can let go. Usually the rod bolts will stretch, and become brittle, eventually breaking. I think ARP head bolts are a must.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't replace the crank w/ VTEC, it will mess up why it's an LS/VTEC. You're thinking of the block gurtle, which the LS only has 5 main caps instead of the 2 outsides and the center 3 being fused as 1 unit. Z10 Engineering makes a block gurtle for the LS which is stronger.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:24 PM
93EH6

Yeah i remember that it was funny. So reving past that will be fine cause i heard it was best to keep it below 7400.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 PM

it won't fit in there anyway the rod width of a ls won't fit the GSR crank it is too small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:17 PM
93EH6

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (OSOFASTEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OSOFASTEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it won't fit in there anyway the rod width of a ls won't fit the GSR crank it is too small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey fucktard i know it will fit but i wanted to know if it was worth it to put it in and my question was answered and the answer was that it just wasn't worth it, not that it wouldn't fit so i would rather listen to the guy that i talked **** about than you cause you are a ******' noob oh yeah THINK BEFORE YOU POST
Old 05-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLACK DEATH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i remember that it was funny. So reving past that will be fine cause i heard it was best to keep it below 7400.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll most likely still be making decent power at 7400, you can take it to 8k, just don't go crazy, or make a habit of shifting past 8k. My roomate revved his to around 8,400 pretty frequently, and it lasted a long time, but our motor/tranny guy knows how to build them right.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You'll most likely still be making decent power at 7400, you can take it to 8k, just don't go crazy, or make a habit of shifting past 8k. My roomate revved his to around 8,400 pretty frequently, and it lasted a long time, but our motor/tranny guy knows how to build them right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what tranny was he running? and btw where did he get it built? TiA
Old 05-05-2003, 11:41 PM
ISELLRIGHTHANDDRIV

Hey fucktard i know it will fit but i wanted to know if it was worth it to put it in and my question was answered and the answer was that it just wasn't worth it, not that it wouldn't fit so i would rather listen to the guy that i talked **** about than you cause you are a ******' noob oh yeah THINK BEFORE YOU POST </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey, **** off that noob has built some sick *** cars!!! he's probably built more cars then motors you've blown with the stupid ideas you have!!! the noob use to work at onE. i got your back art!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLACK DEATH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard it was best to keep it below 7400.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So many misconceptions with ls/vtec's and b20/vtec's.

Just use ARP rod bolts and you won't have to worry about the bolts stretching.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC Questions??? (usdm_ED7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usdm_ED7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what tranny was he running? and btw where did he get it built? TiA</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's used a GSR tranny the whole time.

The builder is our friend/mechanic. A local guy that's been building motors for a long time. Besides being a nice guy and good friend, he has fair prices, and is very thorough, never cuts corners. He has a regular job, and does all of the motor work on the side.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ls/vtec can be built to be reliable. its just most people don't know how to maintain their "high performance" motors.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:09 PM

i heard u cant put a GSR cank on the LS motor...+ u use the LS block for the torque