Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lower engine mount nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower engine mount nut

I was replacing my lower engine mount on the driver side, my problem is the bolt to the frame is just spinning and it does not tighten or loosen. Is the nut welded on there? If so, it snapped. I dont see another way of getting in there it looks like you need to make a whole to get in there. Can I just drill a whole on top of the frame so I can just pull the old one out and replace it with a washer and nut?
Thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lower engine mount nut (blueR87)

Hi there,

Running into the same problem with my civic. I have a bolt that just spins when trying to remove it. I would really like to know how you end up getting access to the nut! In my case the bolt is about 1/2 inch removed and then the nut inside the tube frame broke free. Im not sure how to remove or replace the mount now without cutting that bolt and like you said, cut a hold in the tube frame from the top and try to get a new nut and bolt in there, somehow someway, to replace it.

This may be a really dumb question, but it appears that i have to remove this mount in order to replace the ac belt. Is this correct??

The following users liked this post:
ECM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lower engine mount nut

I'm having the same issue and I need to replace my A/C belt. How did you fix this?

Thanks!
-Dave
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Trial User

Lower Torque Mount nut stripped for me, also. Seems previous owner torqued it beyond 33ft lbs. It's just spinning in there! I'm tempted to weld the bolts to the frame, except Honda in their infinite wisdom made it so you have to remove the MOUNT just to replace the A/C belt?

I'm surprised no one has responded since 2012 other than those with the problems. I can't seem to find any help anywhere else on the net except for those posting this same problem. Anyone have any ideas how to address the broken off bolt within the frame of the torque mount?

Kindest regards,
R
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cut a hole, weld in new nut , weld hole closed. A hole saw is good for this as it leaves a nice plug to weld back in
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
Cut a hole, weld in new nut , weld hole closed. A hole saw is good for this as it leaves a nice plug to weld back in
Sounds like you'll have to do a little body work in order to continue with your mechanical work... the correct way, anyway. :/

Not sure how big the tube frame is, off the top of my head, but another option *might* be to just drill all the way through the tube frame, find a bolt long enough to fit all the way through and put a nut on the end of the bolt.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I bought a used 2001 CRV just a couple of months ago. Both bottom motor mounts were shot, and what'a know, the bolts broke and spin freely on the motor mount. I, too am unable to remove them. I'll see what I can do and share back to this post.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Try to pull on it with some plyers and see if you can get it to catch a thread.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by highschooler
Try to pull on it with some plyers and see if you can get it to catch a thread.
I did. I even used some vise grips to no avail. I originally used an impact wrench to get them off and maybe that played a role. The nuts are on those bolts tight, considering the nuts broke free from their welds. I'm considering cutting a hole like I've read others doing, I just haven't decided where.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the solution! This link shows a video. Worked like a charm to get access to the broken nuts inside the frame rail. This is Super easy compared to trying to cut a hole on top or the side. A combo wrench fits perfectly inside to grab. I had to use a magnet puller to get the wrench out of course.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Trial User

So hopefully some helpful input here, running into the same issue myself and it seems like the easiest solution would be to cut the bolt out and add a rivnut. Sure you'll have the excess bolt and nut that was cut off inside bouncing around, but rather than cutting a new hole in the frame and rewelding a new nut, just drill the hole a bit bigger, install a rivnut, and you're off to the races! Hope this helps someone else. About to do the job myself so if I have any issues I'll report back