Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power

mods:
b16a2, fully built head w/ omnipower valves, bc springs and retainers, bc3+ cams, bc cam gears (set to 0), bc 2 ply head gasket, p&p, jg/edelbrock 65mm tb, bc vcon (vtec controller) and custom cai
Bottom end stock

problem:

when it's cold it runs fine. I don't mean the engine is completely cold, just warm enough so that vtec engages, etc. etc. But when it heats up and i do a few hard runs, it starts to feel sluggish and laggy, like a big loss of power.

any ideas?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: loss of power (WONG FRIED RICE)

ttt
Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 PM

nobody?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the clutch. sounds like when it heats up after the runs, the clutch isn't allowing you to utilize the power from the engine. how old is the clutch?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loss of power (philosofy1)

does it run like this all the time in normal operating temperature? or is it just after a few hard runs? Is your ecu chipped/tuned/
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: loss of power (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe the clutch. sounds like when it heats up after the runs, the clutch isn't allowing you to utilize the power from the engine. how old is the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

clutch is about a month old. I hope it's not that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast95eg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it run like this all the time in normal operating temperature? or is it just after a few hard runs? Is your ecu chipped/tuned/</TD></TR></TABLE>

it does not run like that all the time in normal operating temperature. So basically if i do a few hard runs...it'll run like that until i give it some cool down time. ECU is not chipped or tuned yet.

oh and i do have a koyo radiator.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem and i recently got my timing belt replaced and cams and crank lined up at tdc, are urs? check them. Then today i decided to try moving my dist. I moved it from the middle a tiny tilt backwards and i felt quicker acceleration. i think i advanced it but i soon need to check it w/ a timing light to see where it's at. When i retardedit, my car started to bogg a little but as i moved it to advance just a tiny bit, it runs smoother and pulled a little harder. Just make sure to check ur timing with a light beacause if u advance i think, youll might get knocking in ur engine.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: loss of power (JDMaLLDAy050)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMaLLDAy050 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having the same problem and i recently got my timing belt replaced and cams and crank lined up at tdc, are urs? check them. Then today i decided to try moving my dist. I moved it from the middle a tiny tilt backwards and i felt quicker acceleration. i think i advanced it but i soon need to check it w/ a timing light to see where it's at. When i retardedit, my car started to bogg a little but as i moved it to advance just a tiny bit, it runs smoother and pulled a little harder. Just make sure to check ur timing with a light beacause if u advance i think, youll might get knocking in ur engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea everything was lined up to TDC. If i advance it a little, won't it require more fuel?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: loss of power (JDMaLLDAy050)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMaLLDAy050 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having the same problem and i recently got my timing belt replaced and cams and crank lined up </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree do this....

Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: loss of power (bmoua)

i'm guessing but i think it might be your cat is old but we need more info about the motor and whats been done
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: loss of power (street dreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street dreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm guessing but i think it might be your cat is old but we need more info about the motor and whats been done</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the car is a 97, with about 132000 miles on it. So the cat i'm guessing has that many miles as well. Motor is from a 99, papers say it has about 65K on it. Head is fully built as stated in the first post, block is basically stock. Stock header, and exhaust. custom cai
Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, im not sure if i moved it advanced or retarded. Cuz my friend says advanced is one way , then retarded is the other way, then i heard backwards. well, i moved my distributor towards the back of the engine . I dont think it affects fuel cuz distributor timing is more about how the engine performs. Just the time to give spark to the engine. If u move it any direction, youll have spark, but u have to move it around to get it just right and at the pefect time. Just make sure to check it with a timing light.