Notices

Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq?

Old 10-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq?

Edit: I love the clutch. Thanks for the info guys. The engagement is just fine. I barely notice any chatter from the clutch in 1st...after 1st, it feels just fine. The pressure feel on the clutch is actually better than stock..I like the fact that it isn't that easy to push down...just me I guess.

Modified by 02SilverSiHB at 10:55 PM 12/9/2004
Old 10-12-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (02SilverSiHB)

Not that practical for daily driving and your power. Go with a Full face Kevlar clutch or 6 puck.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (02SilverSiHB)

im sure it will hold the power no problem but it will be pretty harsh daily driving on that clutch.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (non-VTEC)

had one once and it did chatter at lower gears. Didn't last but 8 months and my first time on slicks it went out.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (SuperTeg95)

well, grap...I put it up for sale...we'll see what happens
Old 10-13-2004, 10:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, grap...I put it up for sale...we'll see what happens</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT.. I have this exact same clutch and it works fine for everyday driving.. Its not just a normal 3 puck clutch.. Its a sprung 3 puck and it has very acceptable engaugement for street driving.. And im pretty sure it will hold the power of your motor..
Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (tgreaves)

when i had one on my R a couple years ago, it was a bitch in traffic, stiffest clutch pedal ive ever felt too
Old 10-13-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (Casey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i had one on my R a couple years ago, it was a bitch in traffic, stiffest clutch pedal ive ever felt too</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not saying anything about the feel of the clutch pedal.. Im just saying that it will engauge smooth enough to be streetable..
Old 10-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not saying anything about the feel of the clutch pedal.. Im just saying that it will engauge smooth enough to be streetable..</TD></TR></TABLE>

This Clutch is VERY streetable and works on a lot of our 360whp cars DAILY DRIVEN. Contrary to popular belief, I've sold and used these 3 puck SPRUNG hubbed setups from EXEDY and they are much more streetable than even the ACT Street version. This clutch is Fabulous to say the least.

THis is a very common misconception about the Exedy 8950 cerametallic clutch. Grabs hard, smooth engagement and can take the punch..

My fiance in her NA Civic drives this daily to work.. and she loves the engagement.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (SuperTeg95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperTeg95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">had one once and it did chatter at lower gears. Didn't last but 8 months and my first time on slicks it went out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure. On SLICKS, depending upon the torque you made. It's a stage II, not a serious puck clutch like a stage III.

It only chatters when it's cold, when it warms up after a few engagements, it smooth like butter.

No clutch is bulletproof, but look at what you're using it for, not JUST extreme conditions.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This clutch is Fabulous to say the least.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is pretty bad *** isnt it..
Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 AM

try the ACT 6 puck Xtreme.
that should be all u need for that power. you'll love the feel. not to harsh.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (BoostedVtecGsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedVtecGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try the ACT 6 puck Xtreme.
that should be all u need for that power. you'll love the feel. not to harsh. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm.. You kinda missed the point of the whole thread..
Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

i liked the clutch itself, just no fun in traffic. Mine engaged all at once, there was no in between. It would engage about 1/4" from the clutch pedal being let all the way out. It grabs like hell, and may be easier to drive on a boosted car instead of NA, i dont know
Old 10-13-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: (Casey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and may be easier to drive on a boosted car instead of NA, i dont know</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is that?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems to me if longevity is your concern,

would you not want something with MORE surface area.
might not SNAP into action like the 3puck, but the wear would be more evenly distributed.

I'm just going off my thoughts on clutches, not actual facts, so correct me if i'm wrong(or lmk if i'm right) but isnt it the material of the disc you should concern yourself with so that it lasts, the smaller ammount of pucks is more of a grip issue?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

like i said, i dont know personally
Old 10-13-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seems to me if longevity is your concern,

would you not want something with MORE surface area.
might not SNAP into action like the 3puck, but the wear would be more evenly distributed.

I'm just going off my thoughts on clutches, not actual facts, so correct me if i'm wrong(or lmk if i'm right) but isnt it the material of the disc you should concern yourself with so that it lasts, the smaller ammount of pucks is more of a grip issue?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A few ways to look at this.. The more surface are the "less grabbing" the material can be but there is more off it so you get a smooth engaugement and a clutch that will last a while..

With a 3 puck you have more pressure on 3 points instead of 360 degrees of clutch so its going to grab harder but not slip as much so it will last for a good while.. Driving a real high end clutch all the time is not good since the clutch is not meant to slip all that much and will wear it out faster..
Old 10-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This Clutch is VERY streetable and works on a lot of our 360whp cars DAILY DRIVEN. Contrary to popular belief, I've sold and used these 3 puck SPRUNG hubbed setups from EXEDY and they are much more streetable than even the ACT Street version. This clutch is Fabulous to say the least.

THis is a very common misconception about the Exedy 8950 cerametallic clutch. Grabs hard, smooth engagement and can take the punch..

My fiance in her NA Civic drives this daily to work.. and she loves the engagement. </TD></TR></TABLE>
wow! Now I'm loving this! So it's just a misconception? Man, if this is the case, then awsome, I'm keeping it!
Old 10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wow! Now I'm loving this! So it's just a misconception? Man, if this is the case, then awsome, I'm keeping it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too, I have that same clutch to go with my 8lb flywheel and now I feel pretty good about it
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (Hawkze_2.3)

whats a type S flywheel? your talkin about an rsx type S judging from your name.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (Hella_JDM)

i use it on my car, actually i am on my second one. i recently got the new thin plate version. a bit of chatter when it's cold and at low rpm but very streetable and holds the power well. good price too. a little tough for the women to drive.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq? (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats a type S flywheel? your talkin about an rsx type S judging from your name.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes, any clutch made for the ep3, is actually made for the type s. So we (ep3 and base rsx's) have to use some type of flywheel made for the type s rsx. The only reason is because of the alignment of the pins on the flywheel.

Basically, no one wants to bother making a different set of clutch/pressure plate with such a small difference...so we are forced to buy a type s flywheel...aftermarket or stock. I picked up a low mileage type s flywheel for 50 bucks....weighs 2lbs less, nothing special
Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 PM

i had an act 4 puck unsprung... on a completely stock b16 lol.... that **** was pretty hard to drive
Old 10-13-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (BoostedVtecGsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedVtecGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try the ACT 6 puck Xtreme.
that should be all u need for that power. you'll love the feel. not to harsh. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not too harsh? You've gotta be kidding me. The ACT is a straight 6 puck unsprung hub. Basically on/off. I think the Exedy looks like it would be a whole lot easier to drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a 3-puck exedy clutch a bad choice for my power…301whp and 255wtq?