Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loose clutch pedal after new clutch install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose clutch pedal after new clutch install.

Hey guys, I recently got a clutch job and tranny work done to my car and now my clutch pedal does not have as much pressure as it did before the tranny work.

Basically I had my mechanic put in a new clutch + flywheel and replaced the ISB in the transmission. After the install, the clutch pedal lost a lot of pressure and was very soft. I was told the cause of the soft clutch pedal was because of my leaking clutch master cylinder, but I had that replaced a week later and now it's still the same.

What is it that caused my clutch pedal to lose pressure? It's frustrating because my clutch was stiffer before I spent all this money on the clutch and tranny.

Input please guys.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Loose clutch pedal after new clutch install.

Are you having any clutch engagement/disengagement issues? Softer pedal doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the clutch.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Are you having any clutch engagement/disengagement issues? Softer pedal doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the clutch.
No clutch disengagement\engagement issues. Just wondering why the clutch was stiffer before I had the old clutch and flywheel replaced.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Possible causes for a soft clutch pedal:

air in the line - bleed

leak in the hydraulic system - could be a line or a seal

defective clutch pedal assembly - could be a spring, a pin, a rod, the bracket, etc.

softer pressure plate - not necessarily a defect, but replace with a stiffer pressure plate
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nobody123
Possible causes for a soft clutch pedal:

air in the line - bleed

leak in the hydraulic system - could be a line or a seal

defective clutch pedal assembly - could be a spring, a pin, a rod, the bracket, etc.

softer pressure plate - not necessarily a defect, but replace with a stiffer pressure plate
thanks for the input. after some more searching I found out that I might have well changed the clutch slave cylinder at the same time I had the master cylinder changed. I'll try that first and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by mrlaz1ex1
thanks for the input. after some more searching I found out that I might have well changed the clutch slave cylinder at the same time I had the master cylinder changed. I'll try that first and see if it fixes the problem.
I'm still not convinced that there is a problem. I'd say based on the fact that there doesn't seem to be any engagement/disengagement issues that you simply got a softer pressure plate than what was in there last.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still not convinced that there is a problem. I'd say based on the fact that there doesn't seem to be any engagement/disengagement issues that you simply got a softer pressure plate than what was in there last.
the clutch kit comes with a new pressure plate? I bought an exedy oem clutch kit btw.

sorry for my newbyness.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the clutch kit comes with a new pressure plate? I bought an exedy oem clutch kit btw.

sorry for my newbyness.
I'm agreeing with 94EG8, do you remember what clutch you had in there originally?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Seagull Management

the clutch kit comes with a new pressure plate?
If it's a kit then yes, normally you get a new disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release/throwout bearing.

I bought an exedy oem clutch kit btw.
An OEM Exedy replacement clutch will have a relatively soft feel to it.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17
I'm agreeing with 94EG8, do you remember what clutch you had in there originally?
The clutch that was originally there was the factory clutch. Pretty worn out.

If it's a kit then yes, normally you get a new disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release/throwout bearing.

An OEM Exedy replacement clutch will have a relatively soft feel to it.
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I was just perplexed at why the original factory clutch kit was stiffer than my new OEM exedy clutch kit.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Seagull Management

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I was just perplexed at why the original factory clutch kit was stiffer than my new OEM exedy clutch kit.
It may not have originally had an Exedy/Daikin clutch, they supplied honda with most, but not all of their clutches. I've personally pulled a couple now from Japanese production Civics that were a different brand, me another member years ago were pretty sure they were supplied by FCC.

Btw, were you driving another manual transmission vehicle while yours was down? I drove a 4wd Tacoma a few years ago for a week or two when I blew the engine in my civic and when I first went to drive it I thought I had a hydraulic leak when I went to start the car, all it was, was me being used to a much heavier clutch.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It may not have originally had an Exedy/Daikin clutch, they supplied honda with most, but not all of their clutches. I've personally pulled a couple now from Japanese production Civics that were a different brand, me another member years ago were pretty sure they were supplied by FCC.

Btw, were you driving another manual transmission vehicle while yours was down? I drove a 4wd Tacoma a few years ago for a week or two when I blew the engine in my civic and when I first went to drive it I thought I had a hydraulic leak when I went to start the car, all it was, was me being used to a much heavier clutch.
Ah I see... No I did not drive another vehicle while my civic was in the shop. Well anyways I feel more content now with the whole clutch pressure issue.
Thank for all the help sir!