Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for good Security system with Remote Door locks 1999 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good Security system with Remote Door locks 1999 Civic LX

Hi,

I have bought a 1999 Honda Civic LX for my daughter. It has power locks, but she would like to have a remote to lock/unlock them. Doing research and open for suggestions. Thought maybe for a little more money I could get a security system all in one. Maybe even a remote starter but the price starts going up and up. Not sure where to go or best products. Looking for it to be installed too and was hoping to stay under $200. Fat chance eh! In Columbus Ohio.

Thanks,
Kyle.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for good Security system with Remote Door locks 1999 Civic LX

I personally like viper, you can find deals on ebay and get a place to install it for you. Viper alarms come with remote lock/unlock features. Some come with auto ignition starts, but I recommend not putting those on if you have a manual transmission. If the transmission is left in gear and it's started, the car can be rolling and hitting another car before it stalls. You can get viper's top end stuff with pagers and what not, but I don't think you need something like that, plus they are bulky to carry around. As for just general advice. You don't need anything expensive. Just something that can arm/unarm your car and has remote door locks...that's it. Anything else is overkill because alarms don't mean anything to thieves and a lot of them can be bypassed very easily. If you really want to protect your car, you have to look into kill switches and other physical locks, such as the clutch/brake locks, etc. Since you're in Ohio, I'm not sure how bad the theft issue is there, but in Southern Calif, driving a civic is an invitation for your car to be stolen.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for good Security system with Remote Door locks 1999 Civic LX

Good luck for under $200 unless you go to ebay and then take it to a shop. Plus, those ebay stuff alarm are deceiving; meaning, "Too good to be true." Just for a basic alarm from an authorized dealer, it would cost you up to $300. Also, if you were to get a security system, it would make the thief more curious; for example, "Why does that car have an alarm when it is an LX? Maybe, I should steal it and see what's under the hood." Trust me!!! In my overall opinion, chances are that your daughter's car won't be stolen because it is an LX. Not to bash you or your daughter, instead of spoiling her, tell her to raise her wrist and hand and just open the door locks the original way.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To the OP, go to hookedontronics.com, that's where I got my Viper alarm for a really good deal. Here's one for $77, http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...34&brandtype=0. You don't need anything complicated. If you want to know how to install the main control hub of the alarm in a more secure place and make it harder to access for the thieves, just PM me, I have a few suggestions that will help you.

It's true, what the second person said about the likelihood of your car being stolen as it's an LX, but like I said, you never know and each area is different. Doesn't matter what civic you drive in Southern Cali, it's getting stolen if it's not protected...because even OEM replacement parts such as fenders, headlights, bumpers, etc can be sold in the black market.

I notice also that you said you had a 99, which means 99-00 front end conversions for people who want those parts. You can be the judge based on where you live, but if you want peace of mind, just get a simple viper, a brake lock/clutch lock (from autolock) and that way it'll at least slow the thief down or make him change his mind. If he sees an alarm and an autolok and notices you have an LX, he'll probably just move on to another car. He won't notice the security unless he already wanted to steal the car to begin with, thus he'll walk up to see what security you have. He'll have no reason to be by your car if he wasn't already thinking of stealing it. If you don't want people knowing you have an alarm for people that walk by, don't install the LED light that says ur car is armed or unarmed...simple...and stealth...and it can be done for under $200 with a viper).

It's better to be proactive then to just roll the dice. Trust me, a lot of thieves will just walk away if they see all the security and realize it's just an LX. He won't risk getting caught unless he knows it's worth it. He has to weigh the benefits vs the risk, they are just like us in the way they think, except in evil ways haha. Just stealing it to see what's under the hood or what he MIGHT get is not something a logical thief would do, as much as an oxymoron as that sounds. They are just as paranoid about stealing cars as we are about our cars getting stolen.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99 lx's have remote systems already installed. All you have to do is buy the remote from the dealer and then program them to your daughters car.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Hmmm. I took it to a dealer and they said the remote systems was an option for 99 lx so it didn't have it. They also said the remote was no longer available, so would have to do some serious searching even if it did have a remove system. That is why I started looking for after market systems. As I indicated initially, I was originally just indicated in remote for locking and unlocking the car and thought maybe a security system wouldn't be much more. If a security system becomes to much more and complicates the issue then I'll just look for a cheaper one that just unlocks and locks the doors because I like "spoiling her" . Specially after she had to live wth three older bothers that tormented her more than protected her. Anyone have older brothers knows what I am talking about.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Kyle.