Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for good info into swapping a B18C5 into an EJ6

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good info into swapping a B18C5 into an EJ6

Tried searching but the new engine keeps giving me dead ends and not what I'm looking for.

I been working on my hatch for some time now and it's time to start looking for a swap, no point boosting/spraying my D16. I want to stay all motor and also have it reliable for summer daily driving. Mainly I've been having my eyes towards a K20a2 or B18C5 motors. But decided on getting the ITR instead since it's cheaper to get and less of a pain to swap. Just looking for anyone who can link me a build thread with this motor into a 99' EJ Hatch so I know exactly what I need to make this stock motor run successfully in my car since Imma swap it in myself. Never done one before but got to start somewhere.

Chassis: 1999 Honda Civic DX
Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for good info into swapping a B18C5 into an EJ6

Not a Type R but just got done puting a 96 GSR into a 98 Civic Ex.Pretty much same motor (installation wise) except intake manifold.

* As far as mounts go you need a rear 99-00 Si mount.And your stock driver side mount from your motor.(you'll have to take the cam gear cover off yor motor and the Type R motor) to get to it.You can use the B18C5 or any 94-01 Integra passenger mount and your 2 lower mounts will work fine.

*Axles-Any B series axles will work

* Harness-You need a 99-00 Ex or Si engine harness to make things easier(can use your stock one but have to trow vtec wires yourself)Also depending on what motor you get,JDM or USDM,you'll need to wire/add a knock sensor,maybe a crank sensor aswell.Also keep in mind that certain wires and clips youll have to cut and reuse.Mixing and matching b/w both harnesses(integra and civic)Ex..Injector clips/ignition wires/alternator wires/02 sensors..It all depends on what year/model motor you get

* ECU-Depending on what year motor you get,most likely 00-01,you cant use the ECU.So you'll need a 99-00 Si ecu or get a obdII to OBDI conversion harness and get a OBD1 P72,P30 or P28(which you'll defenetly need to chip).

*Shifter-Assuming your new motor comes with shift cables you can just use them.If not you'll need B series shifter cables

*Header/Exhaust-Since you have a Hatchback it gets trickier.Right now your 02 sensors are in front by the radiator.Your mid pipe has no 02 sensors pluged into it.So for starters if you get a header w/ your swap,presumably a Type R header(same lenght as LS/Si),you would neeed a mid pipe with a cat converter on it(92-00 Ex's,99-00 Si,94-01 LS)Then depending,you would have to wire one of the 02 sensore directly into the ECU(easy)..

Keep in mind that little things like,Throttle cable,vaccum hoses,adding Power Steeering,adding A/C,adding a 02 sensor,knock sensor,crank sensor,ect..All those things depend on what model/year your motor is and what does it bring/missing

Hope this helps somewhat.There are diffrent ways of doing things and using diffrent things.This is the way I would do it.I probably forgot some stuff but over all is an easy swap.