Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for?

Well, it is looking like I'll be getting a Del Sol within a couple months, so the search will probably begin in a couple weeks. The thing is that I have no idea what problems the car has (besides what I have read in consumer reports and the like).

But when looking for a used car, what should I look for to make sure it isn't going to give me problems? I don't really care about the engine since it will probably only be used for a short time, and I'll probably end up re-painting the car (I am thinking 99-00 Si Blue) after I get the swap done. But what should I look for in the interior? What about the rubber lining around the doors and by the targa top? I saw a car today that was nice, all except for that since it was all torn. What else should I look for? Someone help.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for? (explosive)

take it for a test drive, go to a parking lot and do some tight figure 8s and listen for the knocking sound that tells you the cv joints are going out. stop, pull the parking brake and try going to see if the e brake is working (or just pull it up slowly as your moving), roll down the windows and back up (including the rear window on del sols) look in the engine bay and look at the frame to look for any signs of a collision or major front end repair, make sure the spare tire and jack are there, some simple things but if any of them dont work they are all really easy to fix but you can knock some $$ off the price for it. i knocked the price down cause the cv joints were knocking and the passenger window didnt work (off the rail) brought the guy down $300 and fixed it for next to nothing. oh one of my ebrake calbes was snapped too.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for? (explosive)

Sorry..not really a Del Sol expert, but I know some of the years had bad problems with leaking around the roof...somebody help me out here....
Old 04-23-2003, 11:52 AM
93EH6

Heres what i looked for i was going to do the same thing as you repaint and swap so i found one with the best looking interior i could and and it had a great running engine the exterior had some problems but none that can't be fixed also if i were you i would wait until around october or into the winter cause they are alot cheaper then, also try to look for a 1995 cause the seals on those and the newer ones don't leak, if you can try to find the VTEC model so you don't have to swap the engine cause it has a b16 in it.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for? (BLACK DEATH)

Pretty much any del Sol you find will have problems with the targa leaking. The weather stripping from the factory sucks *****. I suggest you put the car on a lift or atleast get under it. Make sure of no dry rotting or frame damage. Also check for corrosion. Del sols are summer cars and lots of people down the shore have them. We all know what sand and water can do to cars.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Looking for a Del Sol...what problems should I look for? (BLACK DEATH)

I big thing that looked for was the rubber seals. I made sure that the seal was still in good condition before i bought my sol. The sol is knowned for leaking mainly on the right side. Apparently, 95-97 sols have better seals so i'd look for something around that time. Great car though...good luck.

i'm going to be sad when i sell mine...
Old 04-23-2003, 05:59 PM

Hmm...thanks a lot guys...I guess I will have to pay extra attention to the seals.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
GENERAL LEE

Default Re: (explosive)

don't buy a 93 ... they had a ton of probs w/ leaking on the roof/doors etc.. i had a 96 (no fogs) car ran great but it is kinda whimpy for a guys car.. plus there is NO ROOM for anything.... if you like to drive alone w/ a backpack buy a sol.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM

Well...looks like I am going to have around $6k to put down and if I have to finance a little, I will. I am hoping to get an Si or S model, either one is fine since I am doing a swap (and no, I am not putting the B16a in). I heard that there was a recall about the leaking though? Is this true?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:27 PM

Yes there was a recall for the roof seals on the 94 and earlier models. I have a 94 and my driver side window leaks about 10 drops when i wash my car with a pressure washer, no big deal at all really. The 96 and 97 models have a different front bumper (no auxilary lights) and to some they think it looks better so u can decide on that. S models are the lightest so if ur swappin i would look for a 93 S model with a shitload of miles with good interior and good body. And i dunno bout other sols but mine had a problem with the power antenna, urs prolly will too but thats not really a big deal either. Anyways, i love my sol and u prolly will to. GOOD LUCK with ur sol!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:45 PM
TSPeed Factory

for 6 grand you probably won't need to finance. paying 6 grand or more is too much IMO, unless it is the VTEC model. if you get a 93 or 94 del sol you'll have the leaking problem, but i've heard the improved seals from a 95+ del sol cost around $300-400 for parts and labor.

you should check all the fluids to see if everything is up to par. if the oil looks like ****, then it mostly means the previous owner(s) didn't take good care of it. another good idea would be to get a carfax on the car. just ask around on h-t, their are people on this forum that do them for free, if you don't feel like paying the money to find the history on the car.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:50 PM

Yeah, a CarFax report is a given. I do not wnat anything that has been in an accident or anything like that. If I could get a 96 or 97, I would, but they are hard to find and expensive.

Any idea of what sites I can go to besides like cars.com and carsdirect.com to find private sellers in my area? I look in the newspapers, but I don't find anything good usually.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:59 PM

I will sell you mine. IM me
Old 04-23-2003, 07:08 PM

A couple problems...one, you're probably modded it, and I want a car that is untouched since every mod on the car is going to get ripped off. I have a specific vision of what I want to do with this car.

Second, I don't need one with the B16a...I don't like that engine, and it would end up coming out. Third, you live in AZ and I don't have the money right now to even put down a payment. It will be a couple weeks at least.

Beautiful car though, if the timing was better, and I found out that you didn't have mods on the car, I would be all over it, it's just about what I am looking for except for the rims and the engine.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explosive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A couple problems...one, you're probably modded it, and I want a car that is untouched since every mod on the car is going to get ripped off. I have a specific vision of what I want to do with this car.

Second, I don't need one with the B16a...I don't like that engine, and it would end up coming out. Third, you live in AZ and I don't have the money right now to even put down a payment. It will be a couple weeks at least.

Beautiful car though, if the timing was better, and I found out that you didn't have mods on the car, I would be all over it, it's just about what I am looking for except for the rims and the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cry me a ribber
Old 04-23-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (TXDelSol)

I have a delsol, 93-94 have leaky seals, and if they haven't been replaced they probley leak and the seals are around $450-500 from hond and they are the only people who have them, other that that it is a bad *** ride check mine out
http://www.cardomain.com/membe...72350

love the targa top, try to get an SI that way it has 4 wheel disc, any other question let me know
Old 04-23-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (93solsigsr)

what motor are you looking for Mine has a GSR in it, w/ only 11K on motor
Old 04-23-2003, 08:13 PM
TSPeed Factory

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explosive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, a CarFax report is a given. I do not wnat anything that has been in an accident or anything like that. If I could get a 96 or 97, I would, but they are hard to find and expensive.

Any idea of what sites I can go to besides like cars.com and carsdirect.com to find private sellers in my area? I look in the newspapers, but I don't find anything good usually. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.autotrader.com

the best site i've seen so far
Old 04-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TXDelSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TXDelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes there was a recall for the roof seals on the 94 and earlier models.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does this mean that the dealer would fix/replace the seals?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bluesolguy)

I'll sell ya mine :-P Only mod is Ground COntrol coilovers with Tokico Illumina struts.

Car only has 47,000
Old 04-24-2003, 08:00 AM

It's not a B16 it's a LSVTEC
Old 04-24-2003, 02:37 PM

You guys are too funny...offering to sell me your cars, lol.

I couldn't even buy the cars if you guys were in fact serious since I have a long list of requirements that need to be met before I consider buying a car. Most of the things I am looking for have to verified through a test drive of the car or seeing it in person. Plus, I don't have the money for a Del Sol that has mods or low mileage. Only $6k at the most.