Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Used Del Sol + Enlightenment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Del Sol + Enlightenment

xposted

Ok, so yeah, I'm definitely new to Honda Del Sols and even to the car scene. I'm here for a little help in choosing a car and what not, so here's a little back info. So I'm a senior in high school and recently I've been looking for a car for the last half of this year, and something I can have fun with over the next year or so. After looking around at different cars and what not, I fell in love with the Del Sol.

Oh, and before I go on, yeah, I actually know nothing about cars. I've only been driving my mom's Corolla for the last year and am just recently been developing an interest in cars. Anyways, I'll continue...

I think it's sleek look is what really got me. What I'm here for though, is for some advice in choosing a the best used model I can find. I live in Palo Alto, CA - the peninsula of the bay area, and I've been scouring Craigslist the past few days for a Del Sol. Oh, and a side note, I've also been looking specifically for a manual transmission cause I've been told that they're more reliable.

True? Manual > Automatic?

Ok, so here's the thing. What do I look for in the ad and in the car that will indicate a good choice? Here are a few that seem to stand out.

95 Honda Del Sol (Clean Title)
I'm guessing it's an Si model since it has power steering.

Then there's this, from a dealer.
1994 Honda del Sol Si, Like New, hard to find, $4,995

Oh, and this cheap one, at $1600, but with a salvage title...
1993 HONDA DEL SOL

And this interesting and detailed summary, but it has a rebuilt? engine.
94 Del Sol SI RED CONVERTIBLE!!! LS Swap (BAR)

At $4300 with a GSR swap.
1994 Del sol with GSR swap

And this one...
1997 Honda Del Sol SI Clean Title Low Miles

Yeah, so those are a lot, and the ones I'm somewhat eyeying right now. Hope is on the $2000 one as I'm asking my dad for some help with paying for it.

Ok, and if you don't want to read through those, I just have a few questions.

1) Like I asked, is Manual really better than Automatic transmission? In what ways?
2) What is the best option in a used car? Should I look for one with it's stock engine? What is the quality of "rebuilt" engines? And what's the opinion of GSR swaps? And haha, what exactly are those?
3) Acceptable mileage?
4) What should I look out for during test drives and when I check out the car?
5) Haha, could someone point me to a place with good info on how to drive stick? I'm still stuck on automatic.
6) Acceptable price range? Is $2000 too risky?

Well that's all I have right now, but thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! I'm in love with just the thought of driving a Del Sol around, haha. I couldn't even sleep the other night cause I was already picturing myself rolling around in one. Hopefully that fantasy can come true. Thanks a lot.

And yeah, those are not the only Del Sols available in my area, but they're just the ones that caught my eye. Any tips on what to look for while shifting through Craigslist? Thanks again yo.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Del Sol + Enlightenment

yeah as long as it is manual you wont be dissapointed (and wont have to worry about your trans taking a dump like all autos do)
you are going to want to get one stock (at least stock motor) since this being you're first car and your not going to to know what the previous owner did when they swapped it
The cheap sol actually looks pretty good just get it checked out to make sure it was fixed right the others were expensive (unless you have the bread to buy any of them that is)
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM

milage anything under 150000 miles ... a rebuilt motor can be good and bad depending on who built it... The del sols came with a single over head cam engine a gsr is a dohc motor which means more power... best way to drive stick is n a parking lot witha good friend who knows how to drive a manual...2000 is not to bad i payed 4000 for mine but mine is also fully built... but look for rust hondas are prone to it
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get a nice security system for your honda with a stealth install. Cause alot of hondas get stolen in CA.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
New User

SUCCESS! So here's come crazy good news! My dad said he's down to back up my purchase even if he's got a few reservations. Now all I have to do is get some more info and choose the right one!

Right now though, my dad is worried about the reliability of these cars. Few things.
1) How much do you think I'd have to shell out for regular maintenance over months of use?
2) Could I drive these long distances? I'm in the bay area, but we do sometimes have road trips to LA since family is there.
3) How long do you think the car will last? He said he'll feel good if I get at least a good year of use from it.

Any info on those? The thing is, he actually prefers that I get a new car, but I'm still iffy on that. If I were to get a new car, it would have to be the low-end Civic, but I'm digging the Si too much to settle for the Civic DX. And I just don't feel right with something that costs that much at this age and stuff. So that's why I'm really interested in getting a used Del Sol. Now the question really is how is the reliability and how much use can I get out of it.

Oh, BTW, he's in love with the CRX, he's had great experience with an '89 model back in the day.

So right now, all I have to do really is pick the RIGHT one.

He's looking for me to get something cheap, like the $2000 option, but he's not totally opposed to getting something more expensive, with the cap at around $4000.

Because of that, my interest is mainly on this one:
1997 Honda Del Sol SI Clean Title Low Miles

and this one:
95 Honda Del Sol (Clean Title)

Two ends of the spectrum, one at $2000 and one at $4300. One black one white too, haha. What do you think?

With the following in the mid-range:
95 del sol 2000 firm ($2000)
95'del sol V-teac 5 sp clean title ($2750)
Honda del Sol SI ($3300)
95 Del Sl ($3500)
1994 Honda Del Sol Si Black on Black - Nice ($3500)

And totally just for fun to post, this BEAUTY.
1994 civic del sol 5 speed

Haha, yeah, that's a lot, but damn, I want one so bad, haha.

So main things:
1) Reliability? Future costs?
2) What do I look at when I check out / test drive the car?
3) Worth it?

Thanks a lot guys! Oh, and yeah, I found a friend who's willing to teach me how to drive stick! Haha, my mom's too scared to get near a stick shift after all these years. :D
Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i don't know if your interested, i was thinking about selling my all stock 93 del sol si. i'm willing to sell it for 2 grand. the car is a clean title 5speed manual, 141XXX miles samba green with the stock green del sol seats with green stripes. I just bought this car about 4 months ago. So far i think its reliable, i just rather have a more quiet and comfortable car to drive. I live in Hayward and i commute all the way to san jose for work almost everyday. PM me if your interested.

btw sorry guys for trying to sell stuff on this thread.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2429625

interested?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pinoy2o9
arn't you looking for truck trades only? nice sol btw, ur car was kind of the look i was going for, clean and simple, but i kind of want a sedan now
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 AM
New User

Hey guys, so I'm back with some more info. So all the above deals fell through for one reason or another, but now there's something new. I've got two things going on right now.

1) 1995 VTEC DOHC (155K Miles) Black

So the dude has installed S Tech lowering springs, a Greddy Sp2 Exhaust, DC Header, and has HX rims on the Sol. Tinted windows too. What's an acceptable price on this? Considering KBB prices a good vehicle at around 3200, what would be acceptable? I'm thinking

150 (springs) + 250 (rims) + 500 (exhaust) + 300 (header)

Bringing the total to around roughly 4400. Really high for me, but still doable, worth it?

2) 1994 VTEC DOHC (96K Miles) Black

The low miles is really appealing, but his asking price is 5000, REALLY steep for me, considering the KBB value is 4K for one in "excellent" condition. No aftermarket add-ons. What would be a feasible counteroffer?

Thoughts and opinions?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 AM

if a del sol is going to be your "first car" then i would stay away from anything that has been modified by the owner. most cars that have been modified have been beet on. just my $0.02