Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A little smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little smoke...

Hey,
I've been working on a 93 VX hatch for some time. Went away to college and getting back to finishing it up. Really all I have to do is pass smog, B18b in with GSR tranny and LS ECU, naturally. I just put an AEM fuel rail on today (I know it wont increase performance but it has a fuel pressure gauge on it for easy reading). Stock exhaust manifold with new Carsound cat. Car runs awesome, revs to redline quickly and idles fine pressure sure all the valves are functioning properly. No CELs. Anyways, the car will blow white smoke when I rev it hard sitting in the driveway at the higher rpms. Could this be the old fuel in the tank or maybe oil on the cylinder walls? I don't know, I'm guessing its the old fuel but can't seem to find any reports of what is seen when older fuel is combusted. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little smoke...

once car is warmed up and still blows white smoke means coolant gettin into combustion chamber
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think coolant is getting in the more I tinker with it. The car still pulls strong and runs cool but the coolant is starting to look a little murky, the oil looks clean though. I'm starting to think I need to get ready to pull the head. I know OEM is the best but I think I might get the KP Gaskets (Japanese made) head gasket set and the NAPA timing kit (Belt and water pump) as well as the harmonic balancer pulley removal tool since I have been reading horror stories about getting that thing off with other methods. Sucks because I just got this thing put together but I suppose it was my fault for not checking initially.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah...for sure you might need to check on the condition of your head gasket to see if any coolant from the passages are seeping into your combustion chamber. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle Good luck with the fix!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This will be my first time at a B series hg fix but I've got the tools and am confident I possess the skills. Craigslist B18b, maybe I'll take the head to a machine shop and see if it needs anything else besides checking if the face is still flat.