Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

length of exhuast pipe muffles noise????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default length of exhuast pipe muffles noise????

i have a non-daily driven track ***** civic. id like to eliminate my exhaust system and run the exhuast side ways with a straight thru muffler thru the side of the front bumper. sort of like the dumptube pipe from the wastegate lot of turbo'ed guys do. i was wondering if the length of exhust pipe contributes to the loudness? its a track only car but it is registered and i do drive it to the track.

ps. minnesota does not have emission tests and cops around here are clueless when it comes to honda's because i live where trucks rule and imports drool. but when i say clueless i do know that cops know mufflers coming off the side of the front bumper is not normal. with that in mind let me know what u guys think.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (98B00STED)

I would check into the noise ordinances for your state and see how well they actually enforce them. I have been running open downpipe on my civic for a year now with no problems from the popo. My old roommate wran open header on his RSX a lot too. As for the length of the pipe, a longer pipe (out the back) will make it quieter in the car but should technically be about the same volume outside. If you have an exhaust running out of the front bumper it is going to be very loud all the time to everybody.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (-TRINiTRON-)

of course its gunna be hella loud and look silly anothr thought i hope you dont hit anything with your front end you header or whatever will be toasted into the block!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (98B00STED)

why bother with a side exit exhaust? Its still gonna be louder than hell - might as well just run open header
Old 06-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (d16prideyhay8)

LOL...LOL...LOL..LOL....that was hilarious!! (d16pride)...anyway i live on MN too..never heard of your car before or seen it before in my life but to the noise crap...man the freakin cops here bust hella lot of people about exhaust noise..man i've gotten pulled over plenty of time before dude..not to mention they profile racers as well...as to the color of the skin and the type of cars..like domestic and imports! SERIOUSLY! good luck on the setup man, all i have to say is hope you can keep it quiter then 3 blocks away!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL...LOL...LOL..LOL....that was hilarious!! (d16pride)...anyway i live on MN too..never heard of your car before or seen it before in my life but to the noise crap...man the freakin cops here bust hella lot of people about exhaust noise..man i've gotten pulled over plenty of time before dude..not to mention they profile racers as well...as to the color of the skin and the type of cars..like domestic and imports! SERIOUSLY! good luck on the setup man, all i have to say is hope you can keep it quiter then 3 blocks away! </TD></TR></TABLE>

what the deuce are you talking about?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ANY exhaust that dumps out before ANY of the wheels is totally illegal...

You'll get pulled over in minutes...

Plus YES the length does affect the noise level...

Unless you have a resonator cat and muffler on there it's gunna be LOUD.

I have a full exhaust system with header hollowed out cat (getting a new one soon) resonator and a MUCH larger than supplied magnaflow muffler and my car is rediculous loud...

I don't get pulled over but I did with the regular canister muffler that comes with the magnaflow catback...

Also the reason that racers do that is they NEED to get the exhuast out from the turbo as fast as possible with as little resistance as possible...

You being NA will probobly LOSE power by doing the same.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also the reason that racers do that is they NEED to get the exhuast out from the turbo as fast as possible with as little resistance as possible...

You being NA will probobly LOSE power by doing the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what made u think i was NA? my screen name says 98"boosted" and my signature clearly states that i got a built block with turbo...

anyway so i would like to hear from some guys that have the setup i mentioned and let me know what u think of ur setup.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: length of exhuast pipe muffles noise???? (dreamer)

the deucies i am talking about are the dumb DOHC's. they blow, come on my EX wiped a GSR!

my mods:
dual intake
megan headers
straight pipe
(rare) revolution R exhaust canister
breathers
Iridium plugs
NGK 9.5 MM wires

and i think my ride is slow! hmmm makes me wonder if i should swap a Type R motor or not ?????? nah, ill stick with turbo!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:57 AM

wow. still don't know wtf you're talking about.

remember kids, popping pills at raves can turn you into an e-tard
Old 06-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the deucies i am talking about are the dumb DOHC's. they blow, come on my EX wiped a GSR!

my mods:
dual intake
megan headers
straight pipe
(rare) revolution R exhaust canister
breathers
Iridium plugs
NGK 9.5 MM wires

and i think my ride is slow! hmmm makes me wonder if i should swap a Type R motor or not ?????? nah, ill stick with turbo! </TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF??? you have headers, last i check Civic was a 4 banger Header singular homo **** and you cant have a str8 pipe and a muffler, ohhhh breathers those thing that hurt you crank case ventilation, zero horse thats like saying my mods include a mugen oil cap, rad. cap and valve cover along with my mugen res. covers you homo, quit posting please