Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Larger sunroof in my EG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger sunroof in my EG?

Now, I know most of you with sunroofs don't really use them, but I live in Florida, and I LOVE mine. The only thing I dislike about it is that it's so goddamn little. With it fully retracted, there's like.. 6 inches of open space. My rain/wind visor takes up about 4 inches of space, and the sunroof doesn't actually retract to the back of the hole in the roof, only about 2/3 of the way, which is like another 5 inches.

Anyway, is there a way to install a sunroof that retracts into the headliner, so that I can use the entire hole? Or perhaps one of you has modified your car to fit in a larger sunroof? I mean, what if I want to stand up through the sunroof and shoot grappling hooks at semi-trucks?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (Aphelion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aphelion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, I know most of you with sunroofs don't really use them!</TD></TR></TABLE> wrong

Modified by 11-bravo at 8:56 PM 5/6/2005
Old 05-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (11-bravo)

from everything said on here, it seems to be true. thanks for letting me know that you use yours though you could have just said that though
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a pic of a white eg one here, it has a huge sun roof i looked but couldnt find the pic, i think it was in the for sale section
Old 05-06-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (11-bravo)

hrm, I tried searching the for sale sect, I couldn't find it either
Old 05-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Buy a convertable
Old 05-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (eg8000rpm)

I don't want one, I get to drive your mom's when we go out.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't the 96-00 civic w/sunroof goes in the headliner. If so modified those in your eg.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:47 PM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aphelion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, I know most of you with sunroofs don't really use them, but I live in Florida, and I LOVE mine. The only thing I dislike about it is that it's so goddamn little. With it fully retracted, there's like.. 6 inches of open space. My rain/wind visor takes up about 4 inches of space, and the sunroof doesn't actually retract to the back of the hole in the roof, only about 2/3 of the way, which is like another 5 inches.

Anyway, is there a way to install a sunroof that retracts into the headliner, so that I can use the entire hole? Or perhaps one of you has modified your car to fit in a larger sunroof? I mean, what if I want to stand up through the sunroof and shoot grappling hooks at semi-trucks?

Thanks for any help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its called a moon roof. thats the difference b/w the sun and moon rooves. as far as putting a biger one in, i wouldnt advise it. aftermarket sun rooves are prone to leaking alot!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (egcoupe94)

how about swapping it with the one from an ex sedan? i know they retract inside the headliner instead of tilting, then sliding back...

i always wondered why they made the sunroofs on the si like that...they shoulda made it like the sedan since the roof is longer than the coupe
Old 05-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its called a moon roof. thats the difference b/w the sun and moon rooves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh ok, I didn't know that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about swapping it with the one from an ex sedan? i know they retract inside the headliner instead of tilting, then sliding back...

i always wondered why they made the sunroofs on the si like that...they shoulda made it like the sedan since the roof is longer than the coupe</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh sweet, I didn't know that either. I wonder if it's even close to easily removeable without welding.. and if the hole size is the same as the Si's
Old 05-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can remove your entire sunroof assembly from your car by removing the headliner, then possibly swapping in the ex sedan assembly...

and if the glass from the sedan doesnt fit, then maybe you can swap or modify the sunroof glass originally from your car and put it into the ex sedan assembly

both the ex sedan and si hb sunroof glass should be the same size

i remember there was a user here on ht with a red si hb...and his sunroof retracted inside instead of tilting then sliding back...it was pretty interesting
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Larger sunroof in my EG? (eJone powereD)

I'm wondering what the point of a sunroof is if moonroofs can be put in... it doesn't seem like there's a point to it Anyway, maybe someone on here has done that! If not, I'll just measure the glass on an ex roof the next time I see one around town
Old 05-08-2005, 09:36 AM
most hood white kid

you cant put a moon roof in if you already have a sun room. there will. there is no room between the headliner and the roof for the glass to slide. i dont thinkink any of the honda civics had these, but i may be wrong?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

I thought if it retracts it's a sunroof and if it just tilts (rear part) then it's a moonroof thought moonroof don't retract just tilt. Another thing you'll have to change your headliner to fit this type of sunroof and yes it has a chance of leaking I currently have a sunroof in my lx and every once in a while I'll see a little water spots here and there (i have a cloth-like headliner instead of the vinyl-like) I need to take my headliner out 2day or 2morrow will get dimensions for you and post not able to post pics but I'll try to make it as detailed as I can. p.s. I have a sedan so don't know how it'll be in a coupe or hatch
Old 05-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: (extra cam needed)

how much does it cost to instal a sunroof ? im interested in putting one in
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v VV 88)

It was already installed in y car when I got it but I know the place where it was done have to go there within this week I'll get the price info so you can have a ballpark figure of amount.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant put a moon roof in if you already have a sun room. there will. there is no room between the headliner and the roof for the glass to slide. i dont thinkink any of the honda civics had these, but i may be wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if another EG had a moonroof, and the glass sizes are definitely the same, then modifying the headliner would be a piece of cake - just a large foam insert in the headliner would do the trick.. oh and it might take a bit of heat-molding to get it to look good.

Does anyone here have an EG EX with a sunroof or moonroof?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: (Aphelion)

I have an Si and I can stand all the way out of it (not like I need to). You should be able to, just take that dumb *** visor off (that really doesn't serve much of a purpose) and you're good. It's easier and you can put in on and off when you feel like it. Doesn't that make sense?