Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help!! fix rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! fix rust

anyone know how to fix rust? i mean really fix it professionally and not like slapping bondo on it. if anyone knoe let me know how and what to use to fix the rust i have for my eg. thnx
Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help!! fix rust (turbo_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know how to fix rust? i mean really fix it professionally and not like slapping bondo on it. if anyone knoe let me know how and what to use to fix the rust i have for my eg. thnx </TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends how bad it is. if it is a tiny rust spot that is surface only you can get a mini sandblaster and some chemical rust remover and get it out that then touch it up.

If it is more serious than that you pretty much have to cut the metal away and weld new metal in.

Some people have used something called Por15 with varied results.

It's much easier to prevent rust, i.e. get your car oil sprayed if you are going to see snow.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help!! fix rust (old man neri)

i'm finally fed up with it. i'm gonna try and tackle the rust in the next few days. too bad i waited so long.

most ppl will say you have to cut it completely out and weld in new metal or it will come back eventually. yikes
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. the rust is okay but it eat a way the metal. i guess i have to cut a new metal and weld it on. but when you mean little rust you mean when its starting to bubble out?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Deends on how bad it is. If it is really bad it is called patch repair that is when you cut out the rusted part and replace it with new metal . Small **** you just sand it down spray primer on it and paint it. Doing the patch jobs aren't easy have a professional do it unless you work with sheet metal for a living like me. Good Luck with it. It really sucks you have to do that.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Depends on how bad it is. If it is really bad it is called patch repair that is when you cut out the rusted part and replace it with new metal . Small **** you just sand it down spray primer on it and paint it. Doing the patch jobs aren't easy have a professional do it unless you work with sheet metal for a living like me. Good Luck with it. It really sucks you have to do that.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixing rust is a dreaded pain in the *** in the body shop.

First you have to remove the rust grinding or sandblasting.

If there is a hole then you have to weld in a piece of metal or replace the section.
This is done by drilling out the spot welds and welding in the new piece
The best way to patch the hole is to "lead in" the area, but this is a outdated practice but still the best way. I would recommend to put a layer of Filler/Fiberglass (i.e. Mar-glass, Tiger hair. then to sand that down with 30-50 grit. Then I would put a layer of regular body filler (i.e. Evercoat's Rage Gold*, bondo) sand that down with 180. Then put a layer of finishing putty (i.e. Evercoat's Glaze Coat*) over it sand this down with 250-400*. Note: i will take a couple of coats of each stage , you might even find your self sanding off the whole layer, it's ok. it takes Patience. next you have to seal the repaired area to restore the corrosion protection, this will be done by the painter. just let them know what you did and tell them you would like to have some epoxy primer sprayed for the reason (i doubt MACCO will do it) I mention it because if you do do the epoxy coating you can take wet 2500 grit and a paint stick and sand the primer.

The higher quality supplies make the job easier *is stuff i would use my self

Evercoat &gt; Bondo (Its a Brand not the true name of body filler kinda like Kleenex and facial tissue)
PPG (for the paint and primer Deltron series)
3M sand paper

if you are having problems straighting out your sanding look for a product called guide coat (3M i think) its a powder that you apply or it comes in a aerosol spray format, anyways you spray it on and then when your sanding you can see the high and low spots. The best tool to find the "highs and lows" is your hand, you can run it slowly over the area. Also i would recommend a particle mask (it's now fun when you have green, red, or blue snot) Use the particle mask with the breather valve it will keep your face cooler because those things otherwise get hot.

Good luck if you have any questions feel free to P.M. me
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help!! fix rust (Vintech)

thnx a lot. how much would it cost to be done professionally? any one know.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really depends one the condition and what part of the car. Also who does it the work does play a factor.

Am I to assume this is the imfamous honda rust spot on the rear quarter panel where it meets the bumper?

Estimates are free, get a few, you will probably be out a couple hundred.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thnz a lot. i didn't know estimate was free.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah they are free, I use to write them all the time back in the day (6 months and one job ago). is it just bubbling or did it crack open and you can see rust.?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thnz a lot. i didn't know estimate was free. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If a shop wants to charge you for an estimate, never ever do business there.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help!! fix rust (Vintech)

some crack and some bubble. i have about at least 5 or more rust. ill post some pics soon of the rust.thnx a lot guys.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for sure man! right on.