Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input????

I already searched...didn't come up with much (want some more detailed info).

I am looking to upgrade my suspention setup on my 94 del Sol. Currently it is completely stock. I don't need any kind adjustability (lots of rain, but almost no snow...plus I have an Explorer to drive over the mountain passes). I just need something with a more agressive look, a decent ride (it's a daily driver, but if I cared too much about comfort with this car, I would have bought a sedan or another SUV), and good performance/handling/lifespan (remember it is a daily driver, I don't Autox or really care too much about how it performs compared to the next guy...I just want something that I can be happy with).

I was planning on getting some lowering springs (I've heard they ride a little smoother. Not sure what kind yet or how much of a drop) and KYB AGX Adjustable gas shocks (I've heard good things), when I saw the GR-2's. Now the GR-2's are NOT adjustable (as far as I can find), but is there any other downfall to these from the AGX's? Is the overall quailty comparable, or is the extra $50-$60 per corner worth it for the AGX's?

We've all heard the phrase "You got to pay to play", but if I would be spending unnessacary money on adjustability that I don't really care about, it would be nice to know before it's spent...on the other hand, if these are really no better than my stock shocks, that info would also be of some value to me.

Any comments/experiences/other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (541delSol)

KYB GR-2 are good shocks for the money. They arent adjustable. As far as just replacing the stock shock the are close to stock shocks but will last longer and are more durable than OEM shocks while having your car lowered. KYB GR-2 will give you are looking for performace, handling, lifespan, and a decent ride while being lowered.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GR-2=****
i think there just basically oem replacements, not good w/ any kind of a drop. my buddy had em on his vr6 w/ coilovers, they lasted about a week. AGX's are the way to go, i have em on mine and i love em. haven't heard too many complaints about em. not too $$ either compared to tokico's or koni's adjustables...
Old 03-29-2004, 03:27 PM

i have them paired up w/ h&r sports for two years . i havent had a problem and my car is daily driven in new york(horrible roads/ snow).
Old 03-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (DV98CVC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DV98CVC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GR-2=****
i think there just basically oem replacements, not good w/ any kind of a drop. my buddy had em on his vr6 w/ coilovers, they lasted about a week. AGX's are the way to go, i have em on mine and i love em. haven't heard too many complaints about em. not too $$ either compared to tokico's or koni's adjustables...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your opinion = **** in my opinion.

I've had 2 sets of GR-2 struts. One on this car for 4 years (and just now starting to get bouncy):

4 years on that low of a drop and they are just now losing their control over the O.G APC coil-overs. Before anyone jumps my **** the APCs in question are so old that they are the ones that were exactly the same as Skunkworks coil-overs - rates, perches, etc. all the same. Only difference is thew color of the springs.

Also here's my other car on GR-2 struts:

The strut/spring combo:

And my driving impressions:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me say that the Tein S-Tech/KYB GR-2 combo rides AWESOME. It's almost like a stock ride. No bounce whatsoever, and not too stiff. Seems like body roll has been cut down a bit, but I'm not 100% sure because I'm not pushing the car until I align it tomorrow.

Cruising around town, the suspension soaks up bumps and inconsistencies in the road better than my old 190K stock set-up.

The Tein S-Techs can be had for about $140.00 and have a 1 year warranty against over 5mm of sag, and the KYB GR-2 struts have a full lifetime warranty for the original purchaser on the original vehicle as long as there are no tooling marks or scratches on the strut piston surface or outward signs of abuse or incorrect installation. the KYBs can be had at or just under $200.00 if you look around.

So for around $340.00 I've got a nice even 1.5'' drop that rides as good or even better than stock in terms of comfort, and with progressive rates the suspension can firm up when you need it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already searched...didn't come up with much (want some more detailed info).</TD></TR></TABLE>

My search of key word KYB yielded 140 topics in just the EG+Civic/Del Sol forum alone.

Here's a good one about KYB GR-2 vs. Tokico Blues:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=704329

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (B18C5-EH2)

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone for their opinions, especially the last one (very detailed, first hand experience).

As for:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My search of key word KYB yielded 140 topics in just the EG+Civic/Del Sol forum alone.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanted specific info on the GR-2's, not just KYB's. The vast majority of threads I found that were strictly dedicated to the GR-2's were "For Sale".

Thanks for the info/pics though.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good shocks in my book.

Plus, a lifetime warranty is always nice!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:46 PM

That thread you reccomended was pretty informative...dunno how I misssed it...

Anyway, what spring rates would you reccommend for the GR-2's and for the AGX's? Any particular manufacturer?
Old 03-29-2004, 04:49 PM

gr2s i used suspension techniques and was a little bouncy, would def buy the kybs or tokico blues.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (dpw41285)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpw41285 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gr2s i used suspension techniques and was a little bouncy, would def buy the kybs or tokico blues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

blues are one of the softest aftermarket shocks out there. I would stay away from them.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running some kyb gr2 w/ skunk2 coilovers, they are okay for the price, im gonna get me some tiens coilovers soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 PM

im running the kyb agx shocks on my car with ground control adjustable springs - i love it. i'd get the agx's, they are easy to adjust, and not much more expensive.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (dpw41285)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpw41285 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gr2s i used suspension techniques and was a little bouncy, would def buy the kybs or tokico blues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I agree with Bauley - blues are the softest aftermarket struts I've ever driven or ridden on.

As far as rates to pair up with KYB GR-2s, don't go too far over stock. They are not a high performance shock like the adjustanbles, so heavy rates will make the car bouncy.

My Tein S-Techs are a bit stiffer than stock and the ride is awesome. If you want some max-handling stuff then maybe look into stiffer and adjustable struts with stiff springs or Ground Control coil-over sleevs with custom spring rates.

On my daily driven "race" car 1992 CX I run Koni Yellows on full stiff (backed off a 1/4 turn per Koni reps' insructions) with custom Eibach ERs coil-over springs with super stiff, rear biased 425F 550R rates. It's pretty extreme for street use and probably borderline dangerous for those who try to push a car too hard on the streets, but it's just an exmple of a pretty crazy set-up.

By reading your first post though, it seems that a good old Eibach Pro Kit or Tein S-Tech lowering spring combined with the KYB GR-2 struts would suit you just fine.

Also be sure to get an alignment right after the suspension is installed. Screw a camber kit because the Teins and Eibachs in question won't throw that off enough to cause uneven tire wear, but you MUST get the toe aligned after lowering the car or you'll ruin tires and handling, drivability, and possibly safety will be compromised unless you get the toe set.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got kyb gr-2's on my car and i love them.. i bought my car with them on.. the ride is great on the streets i drive on.. it handles and rides better than stock... but if i were to get a set of shocks with my money, i would probably jus save up for sum koni yellows or agx's
Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes I agree with Bauley - blues are the softest aftermarket struts I've ever driven or ridden on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

C'mon now Tom, don't tell me you're getting your EG+ forum helpers mixed up!!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:24 PM

for good advice. I personally am going with Neuspeed springs and Neuspeed/Koni sp3 shocks. All together i'm picking them up for like 719(shipping to alaska=$$$). The only reason i deemed it fit to go with koni's is because of the roads up here. I think the Gr-2 should be fine for the conditions you described.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my daily driven "race" car 1992 CX I run Koni Yellows on full stiff (backed off a 1/4 turn per Koni reps' insructions) with custom Eibach ERs coil-over springs with super stiff, rear biased 425F 550R rates. It's pretty extreme for street use and probably borderline dangerous for those who try to push a car too hard on the streets, but it's just an exmple of a pretty crazy set-up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might want to have a seasoned autoxer play with your shock settings for best handling. Running full-stiff isn't the answer. I'm a full turn off stiff in front and 1.5 turns from soft in the rear. It transformed the car from a twitchy beast to almost totally neutral but easily oversteerable.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You might want to have a seasoned autoxer play with your shock settings for best handling. Running full-stiff isn't the answer. I'm a full turn off stiff in front and 1.5 turns from soft in the rear. It transformed the car from a twitchy beast to almost totally neutral but easily oversteerable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know how well the Konis will hold up to 550 rates on anything but full stiff - got any ideas?

Let's take this to IMs, shall we?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (Ricey McRicerton)

get the GR-2's. I had them on my EF for over a year w/ no issues on Neuspeed Race springs. I made the dumb mistake of getting the blues for my EG w/ Neuspeed Race about a month ago & I am very dissapointed these bite compared to the GR's - they are already bouncy.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: KYB GR-2 Shocks - Any Info/Input???? (DJ_SaNdOz)

I liked my Gr.2's on the S/T's, but they just fell apart with the stiffer rate Tanabe GF210's. Great shock for the money.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

Blues are ****...I was looking to get GR-2's but then I just did my first autox and realized how badly I need adjustable struts
Old 03-29-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)