Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

koni yellows and tokico illuminas

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:33 AM
VTcivic

Default koni yellows and tokico illuminas

ok now, in a week or so im gonna be ordering shocks. ive come down to these two, which have people had better experience with? please explain/elaborate. which has better/more/user friendly features? ive done a search here and on other boards, and to no avail. please help me out, greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (VTcivic)

yellow are stiffer then the illumina's.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:47 AM

Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (gambit33 y0!)

i used yellows, i loved them, as for which is better, i can't tell you first hand cause i haven't used tokico. the yellows were easy to adjust. and i think yellow shocks look cool quality of the shock was great, and the performance was amazing. it was a good buy.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, i have no firsthand experience with Tokico Whites, but everyone I've talked to suggested Yellows. I use Koni Yellows, and I love them. Very easy to adjust the dampening, and they come with a lifetime warranty. The only thing I don't like is there's no indication of how much you've turned the adjusting **** except saying, "Okay, I turned this one about two full turns. Now the other side will be two full turns, also." Makes it hard to get the dampening even all around, but I've never had a problem with these shocks.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Illuminas are supposedly capable of effectively dampening spring rates up to 400lbs, while the Yellows should be able to hand spring rates up to the 500lbs mark. Neither one will last long with higher spring rates unless you get them revalved for higher tolerances.

For most street and amateur-competition springs, the Tokicos and Konis will be a good damper set to use.

In terms of ease of use and configuration, the Illuminas are probably the best way to go. The five preset damper compression and rebound settings make it so you know that each corner is using a specific setting. The adjustment **** of the Koni Yellows is not as precise a measurement, but will obviously offer you a greater variety of settings. You just won't know exactly what each corner is set to.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:30 AM
I to Smooch Pickle

Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (Hash Browns)

can i also add that the koni yellows has ride adjustable perches wheras the tokico illuminas do not. Let's say one day.. u decide your ride is too low.. or want it lower.. just take an hr or so.. and u can adjust yr ride height with the koni yellows.
Also, the koni yellows have a thicker diameter shaft... meaning its a stronger shock...
Although they both come with lifetime warranty, i heard that koni warranties their shock with little hassle. I had the tokico blues and my rears were blown to hell, tried to get them warrantied, and I noticed a tiny little scratch mark on both the shafts, and when tokico asked me if there were, i said there were tiny tiny marks on both the shocks and they voided the warranty right away saying it's my fault. To this day, i still dont think it's my fault. Tokico warranty
Koni yellows gets a from me. also if you decide to purchase koni yellow, try to get the neuspeed koni yellows, since it has more height adjustability.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:27 AM
VTcivic

Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (mingchi69)

i like the height mine is at now...so i dont really care if i can make it lower. i like the adjustablity of the tokico illuminas, and how its simple, whereas the koni's just have a ***...and no numbers or clicks or anything. plus im gonna get a boot to protect the shaft. hehe shaft anyways, i found a set of neuspeed/koni yellows for 535+25 shipping, regular konis for 510+25 shipping, and tokico for 405+25 shipping.

its hard deciding such things as this, since i have people tell me that tokico and sportlines (springs i have) are the 2nd best setup. (first is tokico and ground controls) guess ill wait and read up some more. but please still post about this.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you shop around and get lucky, you should be able to get the Illuminas for much less.

I got a set of Illuminas for $335 shipped two years ago.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*sigh* Decisions, decisions heheh I personally have a set of Tokico Illuminas with Skunk2 coilovers on my 92 hatch right now and have had no problems with them performance wise. I autox on monthly basis and they've worked great for me.

The one thing I like about the Tokico's vs. the Koni's is the ease of dampening adjustability, they are adjustable 5 ways in the front and rear so it's easy to decide what setup works best especially if you're constantly changing it at the track. For example I can say, alright my best run was done with 3 in the front and 5 in the rear and so on. But with Koni's I feel it would take a little more guesswork.

I've driven my friend's 92 hatch and he has Koni Yellows and Ground Control coilovers. Compared to my ride, his is really stiff. Which can be a good thing at the track but during city driving maybe a nuisance. And his was set on medium.

Plus most of the Koni Yellow kits out there I've seen are always more expensive than the Tokico Illuminas. So, it's really based on your preference. If you want a stiff ride get the Koni's. If you want an all around damper get the Tokico Illuminas.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:00 PM
I to Smooch Pickle

Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (Jonny G.)

if you wanted a softer ride, you could have lowered the koni yellows to the softest setting. thats' what i have set on.. when daily driving with pro kits.. and rides almost like stock. Pro kits and koni yellow set on lowest setting roughly equal a sportline drop.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: koni yellows and tokico illuminas (Jonny G.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonny G. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*his is really stiff. Which can be a good thing at the track but during city driving maybe a nuisance. And his was set on medium.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

As said above, that's easily cured by setting the shocks to full soft for daily driving. That's what I do, and it feels like I'm driving on OEM shocks again but w/o the bounciness.