Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought some blades. Got a question about tires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought some blades. Got a question about tires.

Hey guys. I have a 00 civic ex coupe. I got a question about tires and the wheels. The wheels have 195/55/15s on them. My steelies tires were completely a diffrent size. I have noticed some road noise coming from the rear passenger side, and my steering wheel is no longer straight on the highway. The H is tilted to the left some. The blades arlready came with 4 tires on the, but they are missmatched. Its got 2 dunlops, 1 michelin, and 1 bfg.

The main question i have is am i getting road noise bc one of the tires is bad? Is a bad tire causing both the noise problem and steering wheel problem? Do the tires need to be balanced. Just wana hear what you guys think. I will probably just go ahead and get 4 new tires and be done with it. I dunno tho.

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just bought some blades. Got a question about tires. (mikeunreal2)

are any of them dry rotted?chopped ? if so that is probably your noise... you could also have some radial pull from one of the tires causing it to pull.. only if you feel a light vibration would i recommend balancing them
Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 AM

wheel and tire assemblies need balanced, also as they wear they become out of balance.

its very possible one of the tires has a broken belt or some other internal defect

just get new tires, they are one of most important part of your car
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gtlaw1)

so you guys dont think the rims are bent or anything right? there is only a slight slight viabration but my car was already kinda out of align before i got the blades.

Mike

PS Not to get off subject, but do you guys have any suggestion for a cheaper tire that has decent performance and tire life to it?

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought some blades. Got a question about tires. (Throwdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are any of them dry rotted?chopped ? if so that is probably your noise... you could also have some radial pull from one of the tires causing it to pull.. only if you feel a light vibration would i recommend balancing them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, it does kinda feel like the tires are really hard, at least 1 or 2 of em. Not really sure. I guess I'll just get new ones. The guy that sold me these wheels was not completely honest with me!!!

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend the Kumho SPT, $63/tire in 195/55-15 at the Tire Rack.

I have these on my 00 Si's
Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtlaw1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheel and tire assemblies need balanced, also as they wear they become out of balance.

its very possible one of the tires has a broken belt or some other internal defect

just get new tires, they are one of most important part of your car</TD></TR></TABLE>well if they already came with tires they were probably already balanced....<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeunreal2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you guys dont think the rims are bent or anything right? there is only a slight slight vibration but my car was already kinda out of align before i got the blades.

Mike

PS Not to get off subject, but do you guys have any suggestion for a cheaper tire that has decent performance and tire life to it?

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>vibration has nothing to do with alignment ...
Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recommend the Kumho SPT, $63/tire in 195/55-15 at the Tire Rack.

I have these on my 00 Si's</TD></TR></TABLE>

wdf? i paid $97 per at discount but i got 205/50r/16

anyways... ya bro kumho makes awesome tires look in wheel/tire forum and they have the kumho lineup stickied at the top
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought some blades. Got a question about tires. (mikeunreal2)

The inconsistency you're feeling is because they're all mismatched. Different tire manufacturers use different compounds and therefore you get differing noise levels and feel.
It's difficult to tell if the wheel assembly is out of round unless you get it on a balancing machine. Many of the modern balancers have scanners to measure the diameter of the whole assembly and not just where to put the weights on the wheels.
Like was said above, the wheel will become unbalanced as the tire wears, so you probably want to have them rebalanced. Unless you're going to buy four new in which case make sure to have them either check it out or show you when they balance them to ensure the trueness of the wheels.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94c1v1cex)

i think you should just take you car to a tire/auto center and tell them your situation...and they will tell you if any of them are bent, out of balance, if your tires are separated or chopped and why your car is vibrating....it would be cheap..most places do free estimates anyway and unless you don't know what to look for ..a waste of your time
Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (Throwdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if they already came with tires they were probably already balanced....vibration has nothing to do with alignment ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I said as they wear the lose balance, also weights can fall off
Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeunreal2)

I have kuhmo esta ast and they are great! I got them off tire rack for $56 a tire.
205/50/15
Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your best bet is to just pick up 4 new tires and have the car aligned immediately after you get the tires mounted and balanced.

It is highly unlikely that you have a bent wheel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recommend the Kumho SPT, $63/tire in 195/55-15 at the Tire Rack.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would also recommend the Ecsta SPT as an inexpensive, good-performing summer tire.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oddly enough, I have had a very good experience with Fuzion ZRi's (they're a redesign of Bridgestone Potenza RE750's). Very nice, rather stiff sidewall, comfortable ride, good grip wet or dry. I've had a set for almost a year, put about 5K on them, and still have about 90% treadlife.

$58 each for 195/50/15's @ Tirerack.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

My brother just got a set of Fusion ZRi's, nice tire.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (srehtorblos)

The front 2 tires are dunlop SP Sport FM901s. They are in great condition. Almost brand new. What I think I will do is get the 2 replaced with the same tires and get them all rebalanced. My car was only slightly out of alignment before, so I know thats not too big of a factor. If the problem consists I can get another alignment. I paid 60 for the last one and had them zero out the toe on every one.

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (mikeunreal2)

your alignment should be checked once a year. That doesnt mean you have to do it once a year, but it must be checked and done as nessacary. Most places will CHECK your alignment for free. What im getting at is that an alignment is not a permanent thing.

Zero toe is good. But your car obviously doesn't have zero toe if your steering wheel is turned to go straight. Or it does have zero toe and your steering wheel is off center. Either way, an alignment should take care of it.

You may have a radial pull in your tires...but thats usually a pretty small force. Getting 2 new dunlops to match would probably be a good idea. Just get the alignment checked after you do the tires.

Balance has nothing to do with a pull as someone allready mentioned. For an 00 civic, 195/55/15 is the right size.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most places will CHECK your alignment for free.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know where you're going, but they most certainly will not.

I did alignments on a Hunter optical rack for 3 years. About 50% of the time and labor in an alignment job is getting the car set up on the rack and setting the heads to compensate for runout.

Any place offering free alignment checks would spend all day just setting cars up and doing no work. Unless they're selling you a lot of crap you don't need and paying the technicians hourly, it's not a profitable business practice. Alignments are already a loss leader for the industry without offering free time on the rack. There may be a few places out there that offer it, but I've never seen them.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't know where you're going, but they most certainly will not.

There may be a few places out there that offer it, but I've never seen them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sears, Merlins, Just tires just to name a few.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I think the whole free align check thing works (the two biggest chains in my area do it too and I know a lot of the alignment techs) is because 1) most cars are not properly aligned anyway so there is something like a 90% chance that you will be able to demonstrate positive proof that it needs to be realigned, and 2) people are lazy and once the car is on the rack, there are not a lot of people who will tell you to take it off and leave without getting any work done.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Frankenstired... (mikeunreal2)

Different tires, while they might be the same size/dimension, might have different weights and load ratings. These factors (in addition to possibly others) could lead to the behavior you describe.

** When you get your tires replaced, make sure that they're running with the correct Air Pressure. **.

Otherwise, (^^^^^) Falken & Kumho make good quality street tires at a very affordable price. Let us know how things go!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Frankenstired... (JasonGhostz)

Yeah i need to decide if I am just gona get 1 more BFG tire to match the other one in the back, and have 2 dunlops up front and 2 bfgs in the back, or just get like 4 falken ziexs. I am kinda broke after spending the money to get the rims. I just think the one tire is bad and its causing loud road noise and such. Its really hard and I can kinda see cracks down the side of it; and it looks kinda muddy.

Mike