Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jerky suspension bushings (need help identifying)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jerky suspension bushings (need help identifying)

hmm.. i actually think i figured it out now, i swear it always takes like five searches before i find what i need. anyways pictures just for fun. Honestly, i'd rather order parts, because its just more convenient than having to drive 45mins to a dealer, and then have to drive back again to pick the stuff up another day. So, i think i'm looking for upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushing, trailing arm bushings ??? did i miss anything?? If anyone has some links, that would be great. (also, paying retail for parts is really expensive) thanks.

and yes, before you ask, it was an ocean submersible.
Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Jerky suspension bushings (need help identifying)

Originally Posted by Swansen
hmm.. i actually think i figured it out now, i swear it always takes like five searches before i find what i need. anyways pictures just for fun. Honestly, i'd rather order parts, because its just more convenient than having to drive 45mins to a dealer, and then have to drive back again to pick the stuff up another day. So, i think i'm looking for upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushing, trailing arm bushings ??? did i miss anything?? If anyone has some links, that would be great. (also, paying retail for parts is really expensive) thanks.

and yes, before you ask, it was an ocean submersible.

LOL Salt is all i got to say???? northeast i am guessing

hmm the first bushing is the upper control arm bushing i think

the last one that is on the trailing arm is called the trailing arm bushing...... not sure you can do them yourself... you have to press them out and press them back in... i know its easy to get out but you can tear it up real easy putting it back in.... also mark your old bushing and install the new one exactly the same position or you will have some problems....

1st picture: UPper control arm bushing
2nd picture: Trailing arm bushing
3rd bushing: outer control arm bushing..... (you can order aluminum lower control arms for like 80 bucks) i am sure they already have bushings built in them.......

kev
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy salt.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic #1 is the upper control arm where it means the body.

Pic #2 is the rear Trailing Arm bushing. (There's a tool that makes the job easier)

Pic #3 is the rear lower control arm center (shock's) bushing

Unless you are really good with seized bolts, bring to a mechanic it'll be sooo much easier/quicker and maybe cheaper, again if you are really good at removing old nasty bolts.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, those aluminum lower control arms are cute, and well priced, but i'd rather spend the like $10 on bushings and just go over the arm with a wire wheel and rust converter. On that, a C clamp and a washer should work pretty well, but if not, i have a friend with an auto-repair shop, so i can just always go there. Doesn't it show up that i live in MI???? ether way, f'n michigan LOVES the salt, its stupid, i need to move below or out of the rust belt...... or just look over vehicles a little more throughly before i buy them... even if they are only a couple hundy. Anyways, thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure i had everything straight before i went buying stuff and thanks for the tip on the bushings kevin.

---edit---
PB Blaster is a godsend for rusted stuff. On the cheaper, a mechanic gets like 50/hour, my labor is free. Although i can understand what you mean, via breaking bolts, and on a final note OIL YOUR RUBBER.

Last edited by Swansen; 01-28-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

OMG....is there metal underneath all that salt damage? i mean ive def. seen worse, but thats def a reason for the destruction of the bushing.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will never get the bushings out with a c clamp. You will need a press trust me on this one. Also judging buy the way things look if I where you I would also order the lower shock bolts they always seize inside the sleave and brake when trying to get them out. You can get a tool for removing the trailing arm bushing that will let you change them in under 30 min per side (last i look you can find them for around 120), if you go the other route you need to take the trailing arm off the car to change the bushing using the press. I would also call your friend with the shop and work out a deal to use a bay when he is closed expect to have problems and having to cut through bolts to get that rusted car apart
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant using a c clamp to get the bushings back in, but i have a good amount of experience in taking real rusted stuff off, but every vehicle is different. I planned on taking everything off the car so i could go over the metal and make it look nice, and obviously have everything pressed back in or out. As far as bays go, i have a 4 car garage available to me and cutting/grinding tools, so i'll be set to take everything off my swiss cheese of a car.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like an abandoned oil tankers' hull!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/how-quick-easy-civic-integra-trailing-arm-bushing-replacement-also-es-poly-vs-mugen-1589298/

Theres the trailing arm write up. I'm about to do this myself. Good luck! Supposedly the cars' handling changes a LOT after replacing those bushings =D
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Juan_Mitosis
Supposedly the cars' handling changes a LOT after replacing those bushings =D
lol, go figure.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bushings make all the difference my friend.

Unfortunately, bushings are the biggest pain to change. You can use a torch to burn them out, but a shop press is so much easier and cleaner. Here is another write-up.

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=16

The worst part is that it takes time. I would recommend buying the control arms and links used and pressing in new bushings. That way you can simply swap them out.

That's what I did......