Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm swap legality in MI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm swap legality in MI?

Is anyone aware of any legal issues to doing a jdm swap in MI? I've searched, but can find nothing on this issue. Since we don't have emission testing, does that mean we can swap whatever we want? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm swap legality in MI? (no_one_)

yah i dont think there is a law against it, but i am not in michigan. in some states it is illegal to swap an older motor into a newer car.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure but you could try calling your local State Police post and ask them. They should be able to answer your questions and if not they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't have emissions testing, everything should be good. If possible, try and get the same year or newer motor for your swap to make things easier.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:09 AM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by no_one_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is anyone aware of any legal issues to doing a jdm swap in MI? I've searched, but can find nothing on this issue. Since we don't have emission testing, does that mean we can swap whatever we want? Thanks for your time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you dont have to run your car through emissions, then u will be fine. they wont be able to tell the difference when u register your car with the state. Here in TN, all the counties bordering Metro-Nashville Davidson Co. have to go through emissions, but i dont have to b/c im 2 counties outside of Metro...lucky me!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know for sure if it's a law or not, but what matters is since there's no testing here you will never have to explain yourself to anyone. It is against the law to remove your cat though, I think that's Federal regulation. If a cop caught you doing that you'd get a nice fine, but in regards to the engine I don't think it's a big deal.

Always good to get an engine at least the year of your car though in case if you move somewhere else, or in case they start testing here again. I hear rumors they might. You can run a newer motor off older ecu's, but not the other way around usually.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:59 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (klungemonger)

yeah, it is illegal to remove your cat even though we don't have emissions testing. But it's always good to keep your car running clean. I hate driving behind people with stinky exhausts.

I've heard rumors of that for years now. I dought they will actually do anything though. But just incase they do actually start, everything I've done thus far to my car should pass.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TouringAccord)

It does seem pointless in MI to have testing. What good would it do when almost every vehicle is:
1) Low tech domestic engine
2) Gas-guzzling SUV, full-size truck, or H2
3) Old crappy beater from pre-OBD era

You could swap in any old Honda motor AND remove your cat and probably still produce less emissions than the average Michigan vehicle.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (klungemonger)

unfortunately thats sorta true. Although, they might benifit from emissions checking because of the fines they would be handing out to people for not keeping their cars maintained. I don't know, it would deffinately be a long proccess if they do start checking.