Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Swap

I'm in N. Cali. Anyone up here or anyone know of a way to swap in a JDM motor and still have your car street legal? I've heard that it won't pass visual smog? I've also heard other things... and how it's really hard to make a jdm swap legal in Cali. It's so much cheaper for a jdm motor and from the people I've known or met that have jdm motors... theirs aren't street legal.
Can anyone give me some info? I've tried searching the threads, but came up with nuthin. I remember reading on some other forum a while back that it's not possible to make a jdm motor street legal... what do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I read the regulations, they stated that it was legal, as long as the motor was from the same class vehicle (for example, you can't swap a mack truck engine into a teg) and it retained stock US emissions equipment (to include ECU). Also it has to be in the same emissions teir, meaning As long as it is the same OBD it can be used, and not an older OBD. The way it read was a 92 motor can go into a 95 because they have the same standard, but a 89 motor can't go into a 95 because it is a different emissions teir. For some reason the CARB site hasn't been able to load in a while as well as the NHTSA website. Check them out for more recent additions, and updates.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (92b16vx)

As a matter of fact here you go...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.

If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.

Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is from the CARB's site, here's the link...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Old 10-25-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (92b16vx)

Thanks for the info