Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM GSR B18C MOTOR SWAP IN CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM GSR B18C MOTOR SWAP IN CIVIC

Okay guys i need some help. I bought a jdm b18c motor and the wire harness is on the opposite side i was jus wondering if any one has done this swap if so do ineed some type of jumper harness or will the harness reach the other side i could really use yalls help thank u in advance
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR B18C MOTOR SWAP IN CIVIC

no the harness will not reach, you have to use a usdm wire harness
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just use your existing harness.. You'll only have to run 3 wires, VTEC, Knock, and IAB unless you have an EX model, then you'd only have to run IAB. You'll have to extend a few wires here an there, but all that is much easier than trying to get the JDM harness to work.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think jdm motors come with knock sensors.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8
Just use your existing harness.. You'll only have to run 3 wires, VTEC, Knock, and IAB unless you have an EX model, then you'd only have to run IAB. You'll have to extend a few wires here an there, but all that is much easier than trying to get the JDM harness to work.
so ur saying i could just use the harness thats on my car now.
what is iab
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any one else got any info ineed all i can get
Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmstyleEJ6
so ur saying i could just use the harness thats on my car now.
what is iab
Yes, its always better to use the harness thats on your car right now.. all you have to do is modify it or get an engine harness thats the same year as your car with vtec wiring.

For example, if you have a 96-98 civic and your civic doesn't come with a vtec engine, then you have the option of finding another 96-98 civic engine harness that came with a vtec engine. The 96-98 civic models that came with vtec wiring in the U.S. would be the EX model. That engine harness can be used. Same goes for 99-00 civic vehicles. If you have a 99-00 civic model that doesnt come with a vtec engine, then you can find a 99-00 civic EX or SI model engine harness that came with a vtec engine harness..

IAB is the secondary butterfly that is used with the intake manifold. Its a black box thats located under the intake manifold. Usually comes on all GSR or Prelude motors.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can help...

Ok, the gsr is like any other b series. Use the integra mounts, you need a 2000 Civic si rear t bracket. Use integra axles and shift linkage.
For wiring, use you original harness and just add the wires for vtec, it's not hard. Your life will be easier if you toss the original intake manifold in favor of a type r style like blox or skunk 2. The sensors are easier to get to then and less wire lengthening is needed.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What year civic and model do you have? then maybe I can help you out. Also what year is the gsr motor?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
What year civic and model do you have? then maybe I can help you out. Also what year is the gsr motor?
i have a 96 honda civic dx obd2a i bought a 97 jdm integra obd2a motor thanx for your help in advance
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like other people said use your existing harness. You may need to wire up the Dizzy manually, but it should be strait forward. You will have to extend some plugs, use some plugs off the JDM harness, but it will all work out. The JDM motor does not have a crank case fluctuation sensor, but yes it does have a knock sensor. I think people get confused about that.

There are a plethora of images and documentation on your swap. It will be a bit of reading, but it has been done many times.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You will have to convert your 3 plug IACV to two wire. Add wires for IAB, knock, VTEC solenoid and VTEC pressure switch. Also its possible your engine didn't come with the VTEC pressure switch you'll have to check and see then you can either buy one or bypass it. If you use the US OBD2 P72 you'll have to do the CKF bypass trick or convert to OBD1 to save yourself some headaches. This link will be one of your best friends: http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/. Scroll down to OBD2a section if you stay OBD2.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM = no VTEC pressure switch. Run a bypass by shorting the VTEC Pressure switch lead to the VTEC solenoid lead. Much more cost effective
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8

what does the IAB do because on my engine i just capped that little vaccume line since i couldnt find the tank and because im not using the stock air intake./

also jdmstyleEJ6.....what you doing about your a/c? because thats what im trying to fig out for my civic right now lol but as far as the harness yea just mod and use excisting like everyone else thats what i did....just remember that if ur engine came with the p73 (G8) ecu when you take it to smog if you have to the computer wont be able to communicate with it
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scanme
what does the IAB do because on my engine i just capped that little vaccume line since i couldnt find the tank and because im not using the stock air intake./
To dumb it down heres an explanation:

You have 8 opening valves on the GSR/Prelude manifolds. On 4 of those valves, you have a mini throttle body for each valve that opens and shuts the valves. Therefore while your driving under a certain rpm like below 6500rpms, 4 valves are open while the other 4 are shut. This helps create more mid range torque for daily driving. However, once you hit around 6500 rpms or above, your ecu sends a signal to the IAB box and the 4 valves that were shut are now open giving you more power. Therefore you have 8 valves that are now wide open. Once you decelerate back below 6500rpms, the 4 valves are now shut again.

If you want you can actually open up your intake manifold and you will see how it works. Also to see if its working or properly connected, look at the side of the manifold. You will see this "bell" looking metal object that opens and closes. You can even open and close it with your fingers like a throttle body. This is what attaches to those miniature throttle bodies inside your manifold that shuts the valves. To see if it works, have your friend start the car. You will see the vacuum tube slowly suck that "bell" thingy and you can see the handle attached to it slowly move up.

Also if you want to disable the IAB, you can simply unplug it. It will not give you any check engine lights and I don't think you can even tell when its unplugged. If the IAB is properly connected, the 4 valves automatically closes once you start the car. If the IAB is NOT connected, the 4 valves will simply stay open meaning all 8 valves will be open.

I don't know the proper terms but I hope that kinda helps out.. However, I used to have a JDM GSR and I found that installing a skunk2 intake manifold with a hondata gasket saves much more time and gives your motor much more of that "punch".
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmstyleEJ6
i have a 96 honda civic dx obd2a i bought a 97 jdm integra obd2a motor thanx for your help in advance
Simple, its now about whether you want to modify your civic's engine harness or buy an engine harness that comes with all the necessary wiring.

What do you want to do?