Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related)

This all started about a year ago. The car(EG w/b16 swap) started sputtering after it warms up. If I feather my throttle and use minimal throttle it seems ok but, half throttle and more, bad bad sputtering. The first time it happened, changed wires, plugs, cap and rotor. It was fine for a few weeks then on my way to work, it just died and would not restart. Got it to my shop, swapped igniter and coil. It was fine for a few months again. It all happened again, swapped igniter and coil again and it was fine for almost a year again. Until yesterday, all started happening again. Brand new plugs, fairly new wires, cap and rotor were a little ify.

What do you fellas think my car is eating ignition parts??? This is driving me crazy swapping all these parts every few months. These must be a common denominator in these equation.

RECAP: Car stutters bad every few months, swap various ignition parts, its ok, til a few months later.( maybe the infamous bad ignitor problem, but so many in a row?)

ALSO: Is there a easy way to test the coil and ignitor??????????????????????

Modified by HNDAPWR at 2:43 PM 5/24/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (HNDAPWR)

Might be internally. My car was doing it and I just found out that it was a blown ring.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (civickid99)

Checked compression, thats all good.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (HNDAPWR)

If I were to buck up and buy a whole new distributer, which one would I use for my swap/car combo? At least that way I know everything internal to the distributer is safe and sound.

Modified by HNDAPWR at 3:18 PM 5/24/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 AM

Someone help a brother out, as this is my only car. I can purchase all parts needed and put them on my account so thats no issue. Would I be better off just getting a whole distributer?? Do the distributers come with all internal parts? (cap,rotor, coil,igniter)Whats the price of the distributer. Dealer OEM part/ Reman?
Which one do I use for my EG w/B16 swap? PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE help me out.

I am sending out an S.O.S.--i NEED to get this pig running again so I can work and not comprimise my Memorial Day camping trip.

And please don't flame me for not doing an extensive search as I am at work, and don't have time to sit and search the web for info.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:27 AM

up
Old 05-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you wash your engine bay alot? maybe water is getting inside your distributor and over time corroding the guts of the distibutor. You can test the ignitor and module if you have an ohm meter just get your self a haynes manul or there is a link somewhere to d/l a honda service manual for eg's (same test wll work for your b-series distributor) thants all I can help ya with good luck I hate car trouble.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (92lxsedan)

Almost never wash underhood, if I do, I bag the distributer and filter. We did get a ton of rain here this weekend and with the Gude hood, I may have gotten some water into places. I pulled the plugs again. Ok. Did ohm test on wires. OK. Right now I just have it idling out back to warm everything up and test it again. If its still there, i'm going to test the ignitor and coil.

OT: Could anyone tell me if switching to a MSD setup eliminates the ignitor also, or just the coil.(If I were to do an outboard coil)
Old 05-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you I would just go to auto zone or something of that sort and get a dizzy with a lifetime warranty. then you don't have to worry about anything.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (spoolineh2)

Thats what I'm thinking. I know dealer prices is $300-ish. I'm guessing remans are cheaper.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think that it could be boost related 11psi could make it more difficult to get a spark esspecially when hot. have you tried different plugs (2 degrees colder) and maybe a higher output coil. I don't know but it may work.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Issues with bad sputtering(believed to be ignition related) (spoolineh2)

Buddy ran the exact setup for 3 years and no issues. The first time it happened to me was previous to the JRSC install. I am running 1 step colder plugs. I just don't understand why it will be fine for months on end then all of a sudden, sputter,sputter, hesitate, sputter. I replace the ignitor and coil, and it's all good.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:53 AM

Well here's an update: Drove home from work last night, ran absolutely fine. Drive into work this morning, absolutely fine!!!!!!!!!! This is the **** that bugs me.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

distributorking.com has good distributors for good deals.

I would say that it could be a timing sensor going flaky...