Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issues after a swap (B18B1 into 93 civic si hatch)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after a swap (B18B1 into 93 civic si hatch)

Ok...the motor is in and runs. Sorta. The tach is not steady, it jumps. The engine is choppy at anything below 2000 rpm, and idle is very rough. The speedometer doesn't work at all, neither does the odometer. The tranny is out of a GSR teg, and I have no reverse. I can get the shifter into the spot that should be reverse, all the way to the right and down, directly below 5th, but the car moves forward not back.

I know with the speedo it could be a bad vss, but I don't now how I would go about checking that without buying a new one, and I'd prefer not to if the one I have already is good.

I have adjusted the throttle cable as well as the timing as well as I can and there is next to no difference in the idle and general overall choppiness.

Any kind of input on any of these problems will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: Issues after a swap (Banjo the Ninja)

check engine light?

to check your vss for most common problem. remove the plug and look down on the connectors to see if there is corrosion built up on them, and make sure the pin's are tight and not loose..

did you install the reverse switch?

you might have a intake leak or a vacum problem also.. check over the intake mani..
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ecu and what dizzy are you running?? If you made a conversion harness for the dizzy, the directions on the internet are usually wrong and 2 wires need to be switched. Check to make sure all sensors are hooked up and that they are hooked up properly. Use a manual and look at what color wires go to which sensors cuz some of the plugs are interchangeable. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Yes, cel is on, but haven't had a chance to run the codes yet, it's down at the shop getting the alignment checked right now.

Reverse switch? Lol I feel like a retard. Can you give me some info on where it would be so I can check? A friend of mine did most of the work on the bottom end because he's a lot scrawnier than me.

I will post some pics of the intake and such, I've got everything I could see plugged in, except the line coming from vacuum that I was told just runs to a charcoal box and won't hurt anything if left open.

The ECU is stock LS, as is the distributor. The ECU came from same car as the motor, the dizzy came from canada by way of ebay, but seems to be functioning properly

I didn't make a conversion harness because I got the engine side harness with the motor when I picked it up.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: (Banjo the Ninja)

the reverse switch is on the bottom front side of the trans

check the engine light and let us know the code. that will tell you your problem.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 AM

I will be sure to once I get a chance, but for now the problems aren't enough for me to hold off my trip to colorado. I will post information as it's available.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you don't have vacuum leaks, plug all the lines that aren't hooked up. And make sure the plugs go to the right sensors, im guessing those 2 things will take care of at least part of your problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (inspector01)

Ok, yea the distributor was loose and that was the problem with the tach, as well as most of the issues with how it ran. The idle is still funny, I'm going to plug the one vacuum line that isn't plugged in to anything then run it down to advanced auto parts to get the codes read and I will post more later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us posted
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you going to autozone to get the codes read?
you have to be able to manage putting a paper clip on the port to pull the codes yourself, the directions are in the faq.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reverse switch is on the bottom front side of the trans

check the engine light and let us know the code. that will tell you your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Other then turning on the backup lights,im just curious what the reverse switch has to do with this guys issues. Its a five speed not an automatic.

As far as the idle and CEL,just double check your vacuum routing and make sure you have the proper vacuum to the map sensor.

Now for the shifting,did you use the spring pin on the linkage? If you used a 12mm bolt like alot of noobs you'll have lots of slop and possibly not be able to get it in reverse. Let us know.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM

Yea, I'm not sure about the spring pin. I'm going to assume it's a 12mm bolt, but I am not the one who hooked up the linkage since the car is so low to the ground even on jack stands, but the shifter is extremely sloppy. However, I have been able to get it into the gear where reverse should be, directly below 5th, but the car moves forwards not back.

Regarding getting the codes checked, I'll go do that now with a wire, I wasn't aware of how easy it was and in the mean time I had to replace my wheel bearings, lower control arms and outer tie rod end on the right side.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Ok just went to check the codes...and nothing. started the car back up and the cel is off, I'll wait for it to come back on, it sometimes goes off and comes back on fifteen or twenty minutes of driving.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Also, I checked out under the hood.

Not sure where this line leads to or what it's for...

These pics show the only vacuum line I have that's not plugged in.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=Banjo the Ninja]but the shifter is extremely sloppy. However, I have been able to get it into the gear where reverse should be, directly below 5th, but the car moves forwards not back.
[QUOTE]

If the correct pin wasnt used then yeah ur shifter will feel really sloppy... SO sloppy that u may think ur in the right spot for reverse but ur really in 4th still. Are u pulling the shifter ALL the way to the right then down? I know before honda shipped my shift linkage pin in i was using a bolt and i had the same problem except i was trying to shift 4-5 and instead i would always be going 4-3. Good luck with that though
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 AM

Yea, I have that problem unless I go waaay to the right I'll hit 3 instead of 5, but after a couple hours on the highway to colorado I got that figured out, so I'm pretty sure its hitting revers, but can't really swear on it.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiyahBeech!)

That vacuum line goes to your purge control solenoid. It was on the back right of your single cam intake. Black solenoid with a little cap like thing on it.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (IMALLSLO)

B18B1 is dual cam, does it go to the same place? I have a line running from the intake manifold to that solenoid right now, I will take a picture and post in a minute.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One comes from the canister to the solenoid then into the manifold just past the throttle body
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Is this what that hose is supposed to plug in to? It looks like there should be a little nub for the hose to plug on that got broken off, I will run out to the junk yard tomorrow and see if I can grab one.

Modified by Banjo the Ninja at 7:41 PM 12/1/2007
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes sir. One from the mani to the bottom of the solenoid and one from the canister to the top of the sol.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Fantastic, thanks a ton, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Even with all my stereo equipment in the car it's still pretty ballsy considering it's running like ****, can't wait to get it running right.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM

Hope someone knows the answer here, is this solenoid the same as the one on a B16? I don't want to drive an hour to an acura dealership to get something I can get at the honda dealership 5 minutes from where I live.

It's the evap purge solenoid? Or the fuel mixture solenoid?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should be same as Honda. Just use the one you already have
Old 12-04-2007, 02:49 PM

I can't, the nipple for the hose to plug on is broken off of the one that's on there. Honda can't order the one off of the b series si's for some gay reason, but I found one at the junk yard on a core return, not quite the same but close enough I hope, I'm gonna put it on tonight or tomorrow.