Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!?

okay, so i woke up early this morning because of my baby, so i couldn't go back to sleep. well anyways, when i went out there, i was working on my stereo harness because it was cut off when i bought the car.

*forgot to mention that this is a 1994 honda civic lx.*

so after i finished with the harness, i decided to hook the battery.

i bought my battery from O'Reillys, and was given the wrong one, needed a 51r or something like that cause the terminals are switched around. so i didn't check the terminals and just plugged the postive on the negative and the negative on the positive. when i placed the negative on the positive terminal, i saw a few sparks. i was like what the f***...........i then looked at it and saw that the stupid battery was put on backwards by accident.

so after i finally realized that, i just turned the battery around and hooked up the postive and the negative to it's correct terminal.

i went to put the key in the ignition and not a single sound came on when you first stick the key in to the on position.

i thought that i might have drained the battery by doing that so i put my battery charger on. let it charge up for 30 minutes and still nothing. so i was thinking maybe i blew some fuses, checked the fuse box in the engine bay, and the fuses under the driver fuse panel. i didn't see any blown fuses at all, but still switched the fuses to make sure. after doing that, nothing still came on. the only thing that works is my brake lights and the hazard lights. my gauge cluster doesn't turn on, head lights don't work, signals, high and low beams, clock and i don't even hear the fuel pump click.........

out of ideas, please help me out....gots to get this thing up and running so i can finally get it inspected for a title.....

the car started before........i took the battery out cause a buddy of mines needed to start up their car with it to see if the motor works and after it did, i brought the batter back home and just stuck it on the battery tray without looking at the terminals....................................

help please

and i know that i'm an idiot for not checking before putting it on...
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I've never seen that happen before.

Alright, well there's a few things to consider here. I would check your main relay, but if it's not doing anything then I doubt it's that...but it might be good to check just in case. Sounds like you blew multiple things if the cluster won't work as well (but the lights do, meaning there's enough power). Though likely you can exclude back-feeding the alternator as you had it hooked up to a charger and still got nothing (though it is possible you back-fed it and fried it). No, what I'd check is your starter motor, you probably roasted that.

Gonna have to try to give us more info, when you stick the key in and turn it, does the fuel pump prime (not all the way to "start", just to "on") (just to make sure that's working).

Right now u fried your starter motor would be your best bet, from there you can work on other things. For now, most important part is to get the car running.

So check the main relay then try jumping the starter motor...if it doesn't click try changing the starter motor.

Also, check for fuel/spark when you turn it over. Might wanna invest in a fuel guage and T it off right b4 ur fuel rail and see how ur fuel pressure is when ur trying to start it. Also, ground one of ur spark plugs to something and see if the spark jumps, those are indeed what you need to start a car so you want to make sure both of them are working.

Though if it's not cranking over that's the starter motor - probably. Look into that first.

Good luck..
Old 12-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

when i turn the key to the on position, i don't hear anything....not even the pump priming....no lights turn on, not even the sound to having the key in the ignition. sigh.....i'll go and check on the main relay, but for the starter motor, you mean the actual starter itself?

my brake lights work when i step on them, and my hazards turn on when i push the button, but when i go to turn on the headlights, none of them turn on.

when i have the key in the ignition and on the ON position, none of the lights on the cluster works and no priming or beeping....dome light doesn't turn on also...what to do....!?!?

i'll go check on the main relay switch and hope it is only that that is fried.....

so if the starter motor isn't working, but the battery is, nothing will still turn on? j/c....

and starter motor is referring to the actual starter itself correct? hehehe...
Old 12-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek4_b16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4_b16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so if the starter motor isn't working, but the battery is, nothing will still turn on?

and starter motor is referring to the actual starter itself correct? hehehe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Starter motor = Starter

If the starter isn't working the motor won't turn over, regardless of spark or fuel that you are or aren't getting.

Judging by how the starters are usually set up I'd say it's very possible you iced (fried) the starter.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (ek4_b16a)

WOW is right!!!

You probably F'ed up a lot of things but not the starter motor.
Re-check all fuses and fuseable link with ohm meter.
Start to troubleshoot from the beginning, it should make sound when you put the key in, should have power to gauges and fuel pump when turned to "on".
I'd worry that the ECU is fried, maybe the radio too.

ouch.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (tietze)

also forgot to mention, i did take my ecu out after and looked at it....i opened front and back covers for the ecu and nothing was burnt on it...so it couldn't be the ecu...but i'll be back to post on this issue......just need it started up for timing...and then call for inspection......i should've just been more aware and double look at the terminals before hooking it up.....stupid me....stupid stupid stupid....but i'll check on the main relay....and hope that is it....that i fried that is.......

be right back...
Old 12-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (ek4_b16a)

also, would my old starter from my 98 civic work on the 94? just curious....but i'll be back
Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4_b16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also forgot to mention, i did take my ecu out after and looked at it....i opened front and back covers for the ecu and nothing was burnt on it...so it couldn't be the ecu...but i'll be back to post on this issue......just need it started up for timing...and then call for inspection......i should've just been more aware and double look at the terminals before hooking it up.....stupid me....stupid stupid stupid....but i'll check on the main relay....and hope that is it....that i fried that is.......

be right back... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well don't dwell on the past, it's not worth it.

Just check the main relay and starter, see what you come up with.

I don't know which starters will work and which ones won't :-\. Just jump the one that's in there and see if you hear the solenoid clicking.

EDIT:
Or you can say expletive the starter completely and try pop starting it...

Old 12-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay i went to look at the fuse panel on the engine compartment and found that the battery fuse was actually blown....i took it out and it is shot.....could it be just that? and anyone knows the price on that fuse...it is the big black on screwed in and is an 80A.....!? sigh...i'll just go grab one from oreillys or autozone.....brb
Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4_b16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay i went to look at the fuse panel on the engine compartment and found that the battery fuse was actually blown....i took it out and it is shot.....could it be just that? and anyone knows the price on that fuse...it is the big black on screwed in and is an 80A.....!? sigh...i'll just go grab one from oreillys or autozone.....brb</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it can be that, that's what it is there for.

Whenever you are diagnosing a problem, start with the simplest thing first, or you will be spending lots of money, time, and frustration chasing other things, when the fix could have been a $1 part.

Always check your fuses!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (my_slow_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whenever you are diagnosing a problem, start with the simplest thing first, or you will be spending lots of money, time, and frustration chasing other things, when the fix could have been a $1 part.

Always check your fuses!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed
Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (Syndacate)

Wow, that's pretty crazy, I have never heard of that either, but thank Gawd for battery fuses, hopefully the battery just shorted and blew that fuse out for you. Good luck on that, with the symptoms you're describing, that's probably the scenario. But let us know what happens!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (bart2546)

problem solve!!! thanks to all you techs out there............whew.......it was just the battery fuse.....now to do the timing, i know there is supposed to be a little jumper harness somewhere under the kick panel on the passenger side, but i can't seem to find it at all....little green plug? well it is green on my hatch....just wondering if you can point me to the correct location for this? all i see are wires that runs to the ecu and two other clips that are plugged.......help?! thanks!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4_b16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">problem solve!!! thanks to all you techs out there............whew.......it was just the battery fuse.....now to do the timing, i know there is supposed to be a little jumper harness somewhere under the kick panel on the passenger side, but i can't seem to find it at all....little green plug? well it is green on my hatch....just wondering if you can point me to the correct location for this? all i see are wires that runs to the ecu and two other clips that are plugged.......help?! thanks!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to hear, lol. Bit of a scare there, eh?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, that's pretty crazy, I have never heard of that either, but thank Gawd for battery fuses, hopefully the battery just shorted and blew that fuse out for you. Good luck on that, with the symptoms you're describing, that's probably the scenario. But let us know what happens!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, fuses FTW! .
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM

Whew is right!!!
to check timing.. put a jumper in the service connector( its the one with a wht/green and brown wires) down near the ECU
Old 12-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an issue i ran into this morning.....help me out please!?!?!? (tietze)

There is a link at the top it is one of the stickys like FAQ ECU thread...I will get it for you.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1171263.

Also another good sticky to look at is the one about getting an archive together. They have a tone of links to a lot of good stuff, if you already haven't browse through it.
Congrats on getting the car up and running I hate the feeling of not really knowing why the car isn't working and having to look for it but what he said is true.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Always check your fuses!</TD></TR></TABLE>