Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intake mani swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default intake mani swap problem

i've spent a few hours the last two days swapping my old DX mani to blox EX style. first anticipated problem i've run into was the throttle cable, but I've already got a new one on order from the dealership, $22 .

Here's the problem that I cant get figured out. When i turn the key, it starts (reluctantly) and then acts as if the injectors were open, revving to redline. I havnt let it hit redline...each time i've adjusted something and turned the key again, as soon as it starts revving, i cut it off. I've tried switching the two identical plugs attached to the TB, and also turning on the car with my TB opened, hoping it was something with the TPS...no luck. I didnt notice, but my friends also said it was putting out black smoke, which they said meant it was dumping fuel. everything was working fine before the mani swap, so i'm hoping i just have something hooked up incorrectly. what'd I do? thanks in advance. and if it matters...

D16 block
y7 head
y8 style IM

Originally Posted by klungemonger
"The only difference is the throttle rotor & spring. You can just put a Y8 auto t/b right on and plug it up without swapping anything over. It has the Y7 IACV and all that. It's perfect for this swap. If you can't get a Y8 auto t/b you can just get the spring/rotor off any other Honda t/b and install it on the Y7 t/b."

found that on another forum... do i need to work on my TB? I need to get this figured out before friday night, have to drive an hour for my national guard duty...and here are some pictures for you guys.

[/
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump, need to fix this...

anyone know? even someone confirming or denying the idea of switching the spring/rotor out of any other honda TB? im tempted to go to the junkyard and find a TB with a larger bore...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were your injectors, your car would be flooded with fuel and bogging until it died. Sounds to me like you have a vacumme leak and its sucking all the air throught that leak and making your engine rev higher. Check to make sure that all your hoses are connected properly and none are loose. Did you happen to replace your TB gasket and IM gasket?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (jbpnoman)

For starters youll need a 3wire IAC if you have a 96-00 DX. But that wont cause a rev to redline. Is there any vac leaks? Also is the throttle body fully closed?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

From the pictures, it doesnt even look like the IACV is present. hmmm...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Luserkid)

to yoffer: everything that was there is still there. i dont know exactly what is what...but im assuming the IACV is the piece attacked to the TB that has coolant lines running to/from?

to luserkid: didnt replace the IACV, just the mani, bolting everything else up to it as per mfg of the mani.

to both: i thought i had all the vacuum lines covered...the only open hole as far as i can tell is for the cruise control, but i've got that plugged off. and yes, new honda TB gasket/hondata mani gasket. if it helps at all, im using the Blox D16 intake mani...are there any weird holes they've put in it to make it more generic?

Modified by jbpnoman at 6:16 PM 2/20/2008
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Default Re: (jbpnoman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbpnoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to yoffer: everything that was there is still there. i dont know exactly what is what...but im assuming the IACV is the piece attacked to the TB that has coolant lines running to/from?

to loserkid: didnt replace the IACV, just the mani, bolting everything else up to it as per mfg of the mani.

to both: i thought i had all the vacuum lines covered...the only open hole as far as i can tell is for the cruise control, but i've got that plugged off. and yes, new honda TB gasket/hondata mani gasket. if it helps at all, im using the Blox D16 intake mani...are there any weird holes they've put in it to make it more generic?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No thats your FITV not your iacv. The IACV is a unit all in itself, it bolts onto the back of the IM next to your throtte body.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

That is where your iacv should be.
Are there holes on the back of your IM next to your throttle body?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yes, there are holes back there...but i dont remember pulling in IACV off of the old mani. would there be one on the DX? its being towed to a shop as I type...but i'd still like to know my problems so the shop doesnt jerk me around. I seem to be getting by alright without the IACV...and it isnt missing like it was, but the problem i've run into that has me taking it to the shop is coolant running into the block. Its comming through vaccuum lines, so i'll stop off the lines...but it still drains into the block. what am i missing here?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:43 PM

you def dont have the iavc on there.I live in the cville too and I had to pull my iavc off to clean it the other night. look up IAVC it may refresh your memory and you will remember taking it off.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad info here.
the dx and auto ex models have a eacv thats on the bottom of the throttle body. they dont have the iavc. make sure any holes are blocked of on the manifold that are not being used. also make sure you are using the right throttle body gasket.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Re: (2redstars)

Also make sure you set your throttle position sensor correctly. It has slotted holes in it so it can be rotated. The way you test it is with a voltmeter. Find the info on your engine, it will say the voltmeter is supposed to read ??? volts when closed. Thats the proper way to set them.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: intake mani swap problem (jbpnoman)

Did you use a new IM gasket? Is your TB gasket good?

A huge rush of air at start up could cause it to rev like that. Been there. I thought my old gasket was good. I must have been blind....so I had to do it twice lol. It was hilarious to drive, though.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Default Re: (2redstars)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbpnoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've spent a few hours the last two days swapping my old DX mani to blox EX style. first anticipated problem i've run into was the throttle cable, but I've already got a new one on order from the dealership, $22 .

Here's the problem that I cant get figured out. When i turn the key, it starts (reluctantly) and then acts as if the injectors were open, revving to redline. I havnt let it hit redline...each time i've adjusted something and turned the key again, as soon as it starts revving, i cut it off. I've tried switching the two identical plugs attached to the TB, and also turning on the car with my TB opened, hoping it was something with the TPS...no luck. I didnt notice, but my friends also said it was putting out black smoke, which they said meant it was dumping fuel. everything was working fine before the mani swap, so i'm hoping i just have something hooked up incorrectly. what'd I do? thanks in advance. and if it matters...

D16 block
y7 head
y8 style IM

Originally Posted by klungemonger
"The only difference is the throttle rotor & spring. You can just put a Y8 auto t/b right on and plug it up without swapping anything over. It has the Y7 IACV and all that. It's perfect for this swap. If you can't get a Y8 auto t/b you can just get the spring/rotor off any other Honda t/b and install it on the Y7 t/b."

found that on another forum... do i need to work on my TB? I need to get this figured out before friday night, have to drive an hour for my national guard duty...and here are some pictures for you guys.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2redstars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad info here.
the dx and auto ex models have a eacv thats on the bottom of the throttle body. they dont have the iavc. make sure any holes are blocked of on the manifold that are not being used. also make sure you are using the right throttle body gasket. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hes using a y8 style intake manifold. y8's have IACV on the back of the manifold, so how is there "bad info" here? If hes using a y7 hes going to have to wire up the iacv because it will not work on a y8 intake manifold.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it depends on the throttle body, if you are using the dx or auto ex tb, then make sure you are using the tb gasket that matches the tb and then block off the iacv holes on the back of the manifold. the tb has the air holes for the eacv in it. nothing to do with the mani. if you are using a iacv on the back of the mani, then you have to use the correct tb for that, it lets the air go into the manifold to the iacv.
when i did my first mini-me(y7 w/ y8 head & im) i went through all this.