Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed

My hatch was stolen in December. We found it 10 days later stripped to the frame.

It took about 6 weeks for insurance to resolve everything. I gave them pictures of every single modification done to the car. I gave them over $8000 in receipts, plus the receipt from the original purchase. They decided to give me $4500, which is $1500 over "their value" of my car. The actual value for my car, according to KBB, in average-poor condition was about $4500, so needless to say, I lost a huge amount of money.

This is the second honda that was stolen from my house, the last was a 96 integra. I got that back, and $7000 later was able to repair it and keep it. I wasn't so lucky with the civic.

I've been completely unsuccesful trying to find a car that will make a good daily driver, and a capable track car with a little $$$. I've decided that I want another hatch after finding a couple deals that I would have to be stupid to pass up. The problem is, I'm afraid my insurance company might drop me at the end of the year, if I insure another honda, especially one almost identical to the one that was stolen. I'm not worried about $$ because my policy doesnt allow rates to go up because of a comprehensive claim. There's a new law though that allows insurance co's to drop a certain # of policy holders at the end of the year, without a reason.

Have any of you who have had your car stolen, and either: not found, or totalled, bought another civic and insured it? Did you have any issues with insurance? If I can make myself believe that I will be ok, than I'll be the happy owner of another eh2.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed (743)

I work for State Farm Insurance, and I'll tell you this, a company can drop you for too many claims, large claims, etc. But they CANNOT drop you just because you pick a car that is now topping the lists as being most stolen. That may be all you can afford, you may have an uncle who gets you a deal on honda's, whatever (just an example) so they have no say in what you insure...get anothe eh2 and be happy...
Old 02-24-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed (RSZero1)

over a time ur vest d in ur insurance company..they can t drop u for too many claims..raising ur rates is another issue

AAA treat d me pretty good though..the BB was about $7k and i got $9.2 back for the loss..from the day the car was jack d i was bitching constantly..that ll help only to show them that it was serious lost to u

the way AAA calculate d the loss $$$ was to take my BB value + mods. *which i show d proof of purchase*..and depreciated all of it from the yr. of the car..so for the mods..i got back about 30% of what i put in to it...i wish d id gotten more out it..but , after they explain d the process to me i was relatively satisfied

as many of of u know im one of the elder statemen in here..at a bitch session with the adjuster he ask d how much was the car worth to me..*98 JRSC coupe*..i said 15k !!..whoaa..listen man, when a kid has his car stolen..he gets another..when they stole mine..it took away my childhood
Old 02-24-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed (deepnite)

Is 23 years long enough to have invested?

over a time ur vest d in ur insurance company..they can t drop u for too many claims..raising ur rates is another issue
Old 02-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed (743)

My car was vandalized and statefarm resolved the issue and did not investigate too much although they took a look at it, they were cool when the adjuster took a look at it. The guy was into cars so he asked me the value of each item that was damaged and actually gave me the value of those parts and gave me a very fair estimate on what could be fixed. My brother on the other hand just had his car stolen and it was almost as bad as yours, but it has been two months and they are still investigating and they sent him a letter to sign that asks him to waive cr=ertain things and that they will prosecute if they suspect wrong doing. Don't go with a small company cause he went through a referal agancy and one of the best companies for settling claims that I ahve experienced is State Farm, Mercury. All State and especially AAA.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: insurance issues after car is stolen, help needed (Vspec Sol)

on a stole vehicle..AAA has a 30 day waiting period or when the car is found..whichever is shorter..after that AAA they want the whole thing resolved within 2 days..one thing nice though is that paid for my rental for the entire period..id put nearly 3k miles on the poor rental

larger companies charge just a little more in their rates..but if u ever need them..they re there for u..