Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 05:21 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments

I finally received my Neuspeed Short Shifter, so yesterday I installed it in my 00 Si with the help of a friend.

Regarding the install:
It was particularly easy and can be accomplished in less than one hour.

I had expected the removal of the stock bushings and installation of the new urethane to be a pain, but it was quite easy and only took a moment to accomplish. I would suggest using white lithium grease on all the bushings for lubrication, and of course antiseize on all the bolts for ease of removal next time around.

The instructions included with the shifter were sufficient, but as always, the more instructions the better!

Additional instructions can be found here:
http://www.hondaracing.ca/installs/shifter/index.htm
And here http://www.jdmfan.com/technical/perf..._shortshifter/

The Test Drive:
Before I pulled away I shifted through all of the gears to ensure proper engagement. I immediately noticed the reduced throw of the shifter and the slightly shorter height of the stock shift ****. Being 6'4" the height if the shifter was of particular importance because I don't want to have to stretch uncomfortably far to shift. That being said the Neuspeed shifter engaged all gears with no problem and is at a comfortable height for me.

I pulled away and slowly shifted from first to second, then to third. The reduced throw was extremely pleasant, but I did notice a bit of notchyness. After a while of light driving the notchyness disappeared... (I assume it took a bit of movement to get the grease to get everywhere it needed to be)

As I pulled back to the shop I decided to really test out my new toy. I brought the car up to redline and Shifted 1-2 as quickly as I could. Instead of the little chirp I used to hear I was surprised by about 1 full revolution of wheel spin. Not the best thing for your drivetrain or your ET's in the 1320, but when done intentionally very pleasing.

Now that I have driven it for a bit more there is no notchyness whatsoever. As expected from any short shifter, a bit more effort is required to shift gears, but coupled with the feedback through the shifter from the urethane bushings I found it quick, precise, and extremely rewarding to drive. No heat shield rattle as with other shifters. The closest thing to a Miata's top loader shifter I've driven in recent memory and I absolutely love it.

Total Cost: $140usd including the antiseize, grease, and a couple beers.

Total Install Time: Less than one hour with breaks for beer and cigarettes.

Total Smile Factor: Priceless The install was a breeze and I'm very pleased with how well the product works.
Old 09-30-2001, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (HaadkoeVTEC)

Old 09-30-2001, 05:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (DragIIcivic)

good review.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (tiiiteb16)

Do they make any for a 4th Gen Prelude? Reading that makes me wanna get one now!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (HaadkoeVTEC)

Did you have to raise the car for the installation?
Old 10-01-2001, 11:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (Spade)

unless you are really really small you need to jack up the car or drive it up on some ramps. you need to unbolt the factory shifter from the bottom of the car. really easy job though......shouldn't take mroe than 45 minutes to an hour of your time.

also, i am not sure what year your prelude is but the new ones have a cablwe shifter in them, not a mechanical linkage. you would buy a short shift adapter that changes the position of the cable and such. i am not sure about the install but i wouldnt imagine it to be all that difficult. good luck

CHRIS
Old 10-01-2001, 11:22 AM
New User

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (deviant94ex)

Thanks Deivant, took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 10-01-2001, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a 94.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Installed Neuspeed Short Shifter - Install / First Impressions / Review / Comments (Prelude_RCR)

According to Neuspeed's Online Store they do offer a Short Shifter for your Prelude.

Look here: http://www.neuspeed.com/order/index.php?action=1
It's toward the bottom of the page.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:32 PM
New User

Sweet, i have the Neuspeed also on my '99 SI and i love it. Recently i drove a stock SI b/c i forgotten how it felt. Im glad i got the Neuspeed, makes driving a lil' more fun!