Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Inexpensive headers for B16A

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive headers for B16A

Hello. I have a 93 civic hatch si with a swapped JDM B16a.

I have a set of DC headers that just rusted through after probably around 15 years. Not bad....

What domestic market headers will fit the B16a? Will the B16a2 aftermarket stuff fit? (99 civic si's engine for US market). That would be nice because there is stuff out there that would work if thats the case. Also Im looking for something under $200 as I am broke.

Heres what Ive found thus far from Pacesetter.

92-00 Honda Civic Pacesetter Headers

99-01 Civic Si PaceSetter Headers

I can get these for around $150 shipped so thats good. Its just a matter of fitting. The mechanic who works on our cars said the pacesetters are solid, and is working on an RSX of ours that has ebay parts and he actually said the first one will fit but I was just wondering if the B16a2 part will fit (which is the second hyperlink).

I called pacesetter and they wouldnt confirm it which I think they just dont know because the b16a is of course not a USDM engine.

Thanks for any help.
Keith S
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Inexpensive headers for B16A

Any B series header will fit on any B series engine.

I'd check the marketplace here, you can find a used header for under $200 that's nicer than the Pacesetter.

****, I'll sell you my beat up JDM DC 4-1 with the 2.5" collector for $150 shipped.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for. That being said, B series bolt patterns for the exhaust manifold are all the same (except for that funny old B20, but we don't talk about that thing). The only slight difference is in the dimensions, but that only matters when comparing a B16 vs a B18/B20. If it's made for a B series, it'll fit.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Any B series header will fit on any B series engine.

I'd check the marketplace here, you can find a used header for under $200 that's nicer than the Pacesetter.

****, I'll sell you my beat up JDM DC 4-1 with the 2.5" collector for $150 shipped.
Thanks for the info. A lot of the engines are stupid similar but certain things cannot be interchanged. I guess headers arent one of those things.

I think Ill try to get something new or like new, so they last for a spell but thanks for the offer!

KS.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You get what you pay for. That being said, B series bolt patterns for the exhaust manifold are all the same (except for that funny old B20, but we don't talk about that thing). The only slight difference is in the dimensions, but that only matters when comparing a B16 vs a B18/B20. If it's made for a B series, it'll fit.
Alright thanks. I cant afford to get anything good right now. Im driving a 22 year old car not by choice lol. Im gonna look at the market place stuff but Ill probably just get something that will just be reliable.

Thanks.

KS
Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Instead of spending $5 now, save your pennies and spend $10 tomorrow, so that you don't have to spend $15 next week. See what I'm getting at with that?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Instead of spending $5 now, save your pennies and spend $10 tomorrow, so that you don't have to spend $15 next week.
OP you just got the best advice you'll ever get on this entire website.

But I'm willing to bet you ignore it.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
OP you just got the best advice you'll ever get on this entire website.

But I'm willing to bet you ignore it.
Well youd be right. If I get anything more expensive I wont have enough money to get it installed. I also need my cat repaired and a new O2 sensor and several gaskets on the rear pipes. Im unemployed right now and this is refunded money from a local College I am attending.

Now I could hold off on the headers as they still kind of work (but have a hole in them), and just get the other stuff done but I figure something is better than nothing and spend the money while I had it on something substantial, I can always get food from the folks.

Lets say I get crazy and go up to $250. No food right off. Is there anything substantially better?

KS
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM

To...get it installed? Do you not know how to use a wrench, or a ratchet?

Dude, real talk time. If you're unemployed and living off refund checks and parental goodwill, the LAST thing you should be worried about is upgrading your car. Have an exhaust shop patch the hole while they're doing the other work, and be done with it.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

OH god no....please tell me your employed..... wrenching on a car isn't rocket science but does require you have all the proper tools. Sears has been having sells on there socket sets or buy a cheapo from harbor freight. Changing your own oil doesn't take no more than an hr, if you're taking your time.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Lets please avoid getting into personal details.

This sounds like the common starving college student in between jobs or struggling to get a job even with a degree.

Unemployment is on the rise and is only gaining pace.

The trend will be mass unemployment and most everyone will have to have some sort of social assistance if the powers that be wish to maintain this broken system we call the monetary system.

Lets keep to the tech.

NAR actually provided the best advise for the broke college kid scenario, get the original headers patched and worry about wrenching later when the finances are there to support it.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Lets please avoid getting into personal details.

This sounds like the common starving college student in between jobs or struggling to get a job even with a degree.

Unemployment is on the rise and is only gaining pace.

The trend will be mass unemployment and most everyone will have to have some sort of social assistance if the powers that be wish to maintain this broken system we call the monetary system.

Lets keep to the tech.

NAR actually provided the best advise for the broke college kid scenario, get the original headers patched and worry about wrenching later when the finances are there to support it.
Where I brought the vehicle they did not bring up repairing the header but they are repairing the cat tube as it fell off of the flange. I am not buying the header from them and they showed me carparts.com where to buy it from so they are not trying to sell me stuff. It might be that its too big or something but I will ask.