Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle and clicking problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle and clicking problems.

Hi,

I'm kind of in a bind. My timing belt broke on me a few days ago and I just got it rplaced and all put back together. the car cranked up without any problems and runs really well. my problem is this. while taking the car for a test drive once i started out driving with the clutch almost fully out it starts clicking. sounds as if something is sticking out and everytime to wheel passes a certain spot it clicks. of course the fast you go the faster the sound is. now i have searched for anything rubing that might cause this and have found nothing. perhaps its something internal in direct result of the timing belt change?

Next problem that occurrs is after the car has been driving the idle goes up and down/ sounds as if the car wants to die then comes right back. however after sitting at idle for a few minutes it returns to normal. i thought the timing might be off but again verified and it is dead on. at least by the timing marks on the cam and crank. any ideas??
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: idle and clicking problems.

If you hope to get useful replies, then provide all relevant information about your car and engine:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...48&postcount=2

Please familiarize yourself with the stickies at the top.

--------------

Does the ticking only happen with the car moving? If the car is moving in neutral is the ticking heard. Is the sound coming from a wheel?

For the idle problem, try bleeding the cooling system. Any CEL codes?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: idle and clicking problems.

your idle issue is from not bleeding the head with coolant, fill it up with antifreze start it with cap on , let pressurize then crack open the 12mm bleeder screw on the outlet of the motor (the top hose on radiator follow that to block)

crack it open till the bubbles stop... might have to repeat once or twice if not rite...

if it wasnt cold out id say pressurize it with a hoze and water and pop the screw watch it pour water out for a min then close it.. works fine in the summer and a hell of alot quicker...

as for clicking must inspect the side its clicking on and go from there