Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

iacv will not work! help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iacv will not work! help

ok so my ls vtec hatch is throwing the bad idle code, i've had a shop go through everything and after adjusting the fitv and checking the tps, i was told it has to be the iacv. so i had a spare b18b in my garage that i just pulled outta my ek, so i was just going to mount up the ls iacv on the gsr intake...however, the mounting holes are different and the gsr's iacv holes are farther apart than the ls. i was told that all b series iacv's were the same and that a gsr intake had extra mounting holes for the smaller, more narrow iacv, but apparently not.....anyone have any info on this?? i'm stumped and tired of this shitty idle up and down up and down after warming up! thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well obviously, whoever said all b series iacv's were the same was wrong... Gsr does have wider bolt pattern (ls and d series share the same, however)
Some manifolds have an additional hole, to use another iacv...aftermarket.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what ecu, chipped or virgin???

also, you say its got an idle code, but how is the idle???

first thing obviously would be to birp the cooling system of any air as its the most common source of rolling idle.

check for vacuum leaks. i use propane but some potent carb cleaner works too.

if none of that helps and you have a chipped ecu lowering the iacv duty cycle SHOULD help alot.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM

ecu is obd I p72, virgin. all i know is that i was told the iacv from the ls will work, but after attempting to switch them out i know that they are different sizes and when i post a thread stating that i'm looking for a gsr iacv i get numerous and numerous posts of people saying i've got an ls iacv, it will work; all b series iacv's are the same, etc etc. i know this is myth now, but i'll explain my idle problem and tell me what you think: on a cold start the car will idle at nearly 2 grand constant until it is warmed up and then as soon as it warms up the car has a horrible bouncing idle from 0-2500 rpms.........................

and on my ls swapped 96 hatch, it's completely opposite. the car will bounce idle from 1500-2000 rpms constantly until the car is warmed up and then it idles perfectly fine, i'd say around 800 rpms....but every so often while it is IN GEAR cruising at low rpms, the car will start shaking like i'm just stomping the gas, letting off, stomping the gas, letting off, much like it idles when it's cold......

so go figure, two hondas and two idle problems.......haha. help guys! i'm thinking maybe the ek is just a fitv, but if that were the case, the car wouldn't try to do that stupid jerking **** after it's warmed up and in gear would it??
Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean and adjust the FITV on both. i know you say you did this already, but its not right, if the idle is that high on cold starts its either not screwed in all the way, or you have a vacuum leak.

i have NEVER seen an IACV go bad.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 PM

the shop i took it to (autolab in louisville) says that he adjusted on the fitv numerous times and it never fixed the problem....i dunno what to do about the eg! maybe it isn't the iacv......i'll just try cleaning it

as far as the 96, if it were the fitv, why would the car still bounce through the rpms when the car is moving and warmed up already>??
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pmpm06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pmpm06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the shop i took it to (autolab in louisville) says that he adjusted on the fitv numerous times and it never fixed the problem....i dunno what to do about the eg! maybe it isn't the iacv......i'll just try cleaning it

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait wait wait, are you sure that shop even knows what the FITV is??? you dont adjust it, you simply remove it, take it apart, clean it up real good, re-assemble screwing it ALL the way in (not so tight that it cant unscrew though) and install back onto car, bleed cooling system and you are good.

it takes ten minutes to do, why not try it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 AM

by adjustment i assume he meant on the screw bro........

thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pmpm06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pmpm06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by adjustment i assume he meant on the screw bro........

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

what screw though, sounds like they were messing with the screw on the throttle body.