Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I shall shoot people: Distributor people please look here... final call before suicide.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I shall shoot people: Distributor people please look here... final call before suicide.

I know this might not seem urgent but it really is. Today is the LAST day I can do anything about my car before it sits for two weeks while the guy working on it is out of town and quite frankly, I can't afford to go one more day without it because I have too much I have to do.

Here's the problem:

obd1 vehicle... obd2 (d16y5) head... and I have a d16y8 distributor in my hand. I can get a DX obd1 distributor... but this is what I want to know and someone.. PLEASE ANSWER.. I need it bad.

A) How do I repin the obd2 d16y8 distributor to work on an obd1 vehicle. Don't just say.. switch the connectors... because then you won't be making any sense. The obd2 distributor has 8 wires... while obd1 distributors have 9!!! The final wire missing from the obd2 distributor is one of the ingition wires off of the coil pack. What's going on here?

b) IF I get the DX distributor... will it run an obd2 head? I would believe so because its' an obd1 Vehicle anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. THe only problems that I would see are bolting issues ( Fabrication.... ) and timing problems. But I suppose I can get around that.

I really want to use the y8 distributor... so if someone could PLEASE tell me how to repin it in DETAIL. I've seen plenty of pictures but none explain where the missing wire goes or even deals with the missing wire. What's up people???

AIM: MLX3R
Old 02-29-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I shall shoot people: Distributor people please look here... final call before suicide. (Civic H

I've never seen a dizzy up/back dated before... that doesn't mean that it can't be done, but why? Why bother with it and risk messing it up when it might work? Unless you can't afford one for your year or can't trade the one you have at a junkyard or anything... I dunno, I'd say it's easier to just go with the right obd for your car...