Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them?

Is it difficult? Any advice? Do I need a lug key? I don't have one, just wrench and jack.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 01:41 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (Hazem)

you just need a 19mm socket to get em off. none of the hondas i ever worked on had wheel locks. if there's a wheel lock youll know cuz one of the lugs will look weird compared to the other 3.

as for painting, check out the search function man. i painted my rims using their DIY wheel painting thing, and they turned out pretty good i think. personally i think you gotta spend a good amount of time on em to make em look good, but i think youll be happy in the end tho.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (Hazem)

Go ahead and break loose the lugnuts (just enough to break them loose, don't take them off) while the car is still on the ground. Put it in 1st gear and put the emergency brake on. If you have wheel locks, you will need a key, if not, you can just use the stock tire iron to remove the lugs. I use a 19mm deepwell socket on a breaker bar.

Jack up the car using any of the stock jack points (I'll suggest jacking from the drivers side jack point just behind the front wheel and the drivers side just in front of the rear wheel) and then inserting jack stands under the rear tow hook and the jack point on the front radiator support.

Now remove the lug nuts the rest of the way and remove your rims. They may be frozen to the hub, so after you get the lugs off you may need to kick them a couple times to break them loose.

Once the rims are off of the car, you have directions in other threads about prepping, masking and painting.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (Ricey McRicerton)

Thanks, I have an A/T, so just put it in park?

Also, could I just put a jack stand on the front drivers side/passenger side front, and do two at a time? I can use my dads jack and mine, I don't have four. How tight should I tighten them when I put them back on? And sorry but how do I mask the tire?

Sorry for all the easy questions, I'm just learning my stuff.

Thanks again
-Hazem
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM
EK22snatch

yes, just put it in park, but make sure when you jack it up you put it on the lift point.

yes, you can use jack stands. what i usually do is slide the jack under the front bumper and find the metal spot that kind sticks out a bit (slightly to the drivers side) and jack it up, then place a jack on the pinch welds on the side of the car, then set the jack SLOWLY down onto the stands. make sure youve got the stands holding up the car well and not half way on teh pinch weld. then just jack the car back up when youre done, and slide then stands out.

the lug nuts are sapposed to be torqued to honda spec, which is 80ft/lbs. this sounds liek alot but its really not. you just crank on it for a second and then thats good... dont be standing on teh wrench or anything trying to tighten it up

you just put small pieces of maskign tape all the way around the tire so you dont paint your tire while youre painting your rims.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (EK22snatch)

So when its tight, just give it a little pressure for a couple seconds?
Old 10-07-2004, 02:47 PM

its not rocket science, youre turning a nut.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (rentacop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not rocket science, youre turning a nut. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure some members on here could say the same if you asked a question they saw as simple. We all started somewhere and if he wants to ask to be sure he's doing it right, theres nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it you can leave the thread.

EDIT: I always tighten them to snug, and a little more. There is a certian tightness you're supossed to torque them down to with a torque wrench, but I'm not digging out the Helms right now.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (rentacop)

Really??? Dude awesome, I'm glad someone pointed that out!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:00 PM

I like to give Ricey a round of golf clap for his infinite patience for the noobness around here and not turning into a total *******. You sir, still give H-T a good name.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:58 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a certian tightness you're supossed to torque them down to with a torque wrench, but I'm not digging out the Helms right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, like i said, its 80ft/lbs. i just tighten em up then give it an extra push or two to make sure theyre tight. then of coarse after like 50 miles or so you should check the torque on em again.

as big of a honda enthusiast as i am, i seriously dislike their alloy quality. the only rims ive ever dealt with that were consistantly oxidized like crazy were the pontiac alloys. oh the woas of being a tech 1/2.

Hazem, dont get discouraged by some people on this forum. Like ricey pointed out, its ironic just how quickly people forget what little they used to know.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: I searched, don't worry--How do I take off my stock alloys to paint them? (EK22snatch)

Thanks man, I'll post some pics. Now to do gunmetal or flat black?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM
EK22snatch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hazem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man, I'll post some pics. Now to do gunmetal or flat black? </TD></TR></TABLE>
i had the same issue, and i decided "Graphite" looked the best. i think the paint was made by duplicolor? make sure you buy WHEEL paint cuz there is a difference.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow...im in shock this thread actually stayed on track...how many posts were delted ricey?
as for the color i say black for the stock alloys