Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I really need some help- knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really need some help- knocking

Ok this is kinda long and hard to understand so please bear with me.

I tore down my head down my head about a week ago. When I put it back together I had a really loud knocking noise. First thing i thought it was rod bearing, but the noise was coming from the head. well i tinkered with the valve train for a while. (I think it was one of the Vtec rocker sitting wrong.) Not exactly sure what it was that fixed the noise because I messed with a few things. Well there was still a slight quiet ticking so i waited til this weekend and adjusted the valves and while doing that i was looking at my timign belt and it looked like it wasnt all at TDC. I changed that. Well when i buttoned it all back together and the loud knockings back. I've taken it apart like 2-3 times since then and still just cant get it to go away. im getting pretty frustrated. i dont think its a thrown bearing because i got the noise to go away, but now it back so im assuming it rules the bearing out. I got to go to work Monday, im in the military so i really got to get this thing going so i can get to work.

Any help or related experiences please help. I have searched my *** off and havent been able to find anything.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I really need some help- knocking

Best way to check if it really is a rod bearing is drain the oil and look for metal shavings or metallic stuff.

Try adjusting your valves again. Make sure your timing belt cover on the inside isn't hitting your cam gears cause it can cause the some weird noises.