Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help!! Car keeps shutting off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!! Car keeps shutting off!

1994 Honda civic coupe
D16z6

Damn Car got issues , Basically it started on Friday driving normal to work car JUST shut off .. i turn the key turns back on okay nothing crazy I'm in 3rd gear Car shuts off again! i turn the key but it turns on at this point no check engine light!!.. get to work cool i leave at 5 car took 3 times to turn on it finally did. I needed gas after i left the gas the station drove up to a red light Car DIED!!!! this time it did not turn on had to tow it home!.This morning It turned on ! and drove it around my block nothing happened didn't die or anything!! AND still no Check Engine light! i have no idea what it can be i'm thinking Fuel pump but not sure ! ANY ONE PLEASE HELP!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOLY Sh*t I need help!! Car keeps shutting off!

most likely the fuel pump... try just turning the key to the on after it dies, and try to listen for the fuel pump to turn on... if u dont then their ya go u cant really try it when its still good to drive... since it is on for that period of time. happen to me before... if u hear the sound of it turning on still and such, check the fuel filter to see if u need a new one since it can get really clogged up.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM

usually you don't see pumps go bad, but **** has been known to happen. also does the car lose all electrical power too, or just the engine turns off. it could be lose battery cables
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you cut the key to the "run position" listen for the main relay to click a few times and listen for the fuel pump to prime. If it doesnt.. the car wont start. I've had this same sort of issue youre describing and it was the main relay. the car would die.... if you beat on the main relay it would start back up and run for a while. That would be my guess.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

ignition switch? maybe its going bad. if the main relay checks out, i would focus around the ignition switch.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Yea the car seems to just Die like motor wise all electrical is still turned on
When i turn the key to on position i do hear something but im not sure where i need to hear at by the speedometer ?? im thinking it might be the main relay where would that be located?? any pics of where i need to look at?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your fuel pump is in the midsection back below your seats you should hear something turned on by their but as i said i had the exact same problem you need to drive it around the block and let it die and then test it.

actually just test it before driveing to hear if everythings good... then drive it around the block or parking lot for awhile till it dies... then listen again if you do not have the pump turning on then its that
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you losing all power when the car shuts off or does the motor simply die going down the road? If the motor seems to just simply die while driving down the road a good possible cause is the crank sensor. This is a notorious problem for many of the Chrysler vehicles from the later 90's/early 2000's. I've never seen it happen on a Honda but from the way you describe it it's the same exactly issue these Chrysler vehicles have. If the fuel pump were bad the car would most likely not start and not die at random times.

Also, for the guy who said something about pumps not going bad - true for most Honda's, they don't go bad but if you look at any GM vehicle made from 95 - 04 almost every single one of them have issues with fuel pumps. Fuel pumps do go bad in many domestic vehicles, just not really in imports.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had something similar happen with my car, but it was the distributer core went bad. it happens out of nowhere, no CEL just dead.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 AM

This car has issues so yesterday i turned the car on Turned on perfect drove around the block nothing .. drive it to work nothing.. closeto arriving home car just shuts off all power dead . still have eletric on . all lights work cd player everything but no engine power!!! Crazy sh*t
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the whole dizzy...go to ebay and look up "distributor kings" and buy a whole new one. My budz just had this happen to him in his lude...it was dying in the middle of traffic and sputtering and dying....he bought a whole new distributor from DK and solved the problem. This may not be your problem but...hey you'll have a brand new dist.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 AM

can the main relay just shut off a car out of now where? without warning ? i dont have no engine check lights as well!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Trial User

I couldn't believe when the merchanic fix it. It was the battery clamps. It was so loose but tight enough to stay on, so when I hit a bump on the road, it loose contact. Engine die. Just want to share this.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Main relay

Edit I guess not lol^