Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I Need Help! 96 Civic Ex no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help! 96 Civic Ex no start

So here's what's going on:

I changed the head gasket and timing belt/water pump kit. It ran ok before this, and ran a few times after this. Then it sat over night and did not start the next day.

Instead of starting, it just cranks and the ABS light comes on when I key it to crank. The obd2 port doesn't communicate. It doesn't respond to jumping the service plug for obd1 style code reading.

So here's what I've done:
Cranked it with a spark plug out. It sparks.
Taken a plug out after cranking it. It was wet and fuel smelly.
Replaced main relay.
Replaced ecu.
Rebuilt the p/s to upper rad support ground. Sanded all the other grounds under hood.
Checked all fuses visually. They look fine.

I did have the dash out of this car and ran it a quite a few times with just the dash sitting in it unbolted. It ran like this after I replaced the HG and timing belt. Could this have caused a problem?

Do you think this is a problem with the wiring harness? What could have caused this to pop up over night? Any ideas welcomed because I'm fresh out of them!

This is it running after the head gasket and then what it's doing now. Ignore the rough running and the squeal. I figured both of those issues out before it stopped running.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: I Need Help! 96 Civic Ex no start

My first question would be pointing toward what you did to fix the rough running and squeal. You say it was running prior to that.. What'd ya do?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Take the upper timing cover off so you can see the marks then TDC the engine to make sure the timing belt is still in time.

Check ECU ground wires on the thermostat. Does the CEL and fuel pump cycle on then off when you turn key on but don't crank? Also, the "oil" and "battery" lights should be on steady when you turn key on but don't crank.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
My first question would be pointing toward what you did to fix the rough running and squeal. You say it was running prior to that.. What'd ya do?
I had a couple plug wires crossed up and the washers on the a/c belt idler on one in front of the pulley and one behind so it wasn't spinning. Little issues. After I fixed those I started it one more time where it had a bad idle hunt and then it just didn't run at all the next day.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Take the upper timing cover off so you can see the marks then TDC the engine to make sure the timing belt is still in time.

Check ECU ground wires on the thermostat. Does the CEL and fuel pump cycle on then off when you turn key on but don't crank? Also, the "oil" and "battery" lights should be on steady when you turn key on but don't crank.
I do have the timing cover off. It's in time still.

The CEL turns on when I key the car on, then blinks, and stays on steady. The oil and battery lights also come on when I key the car on. You can see they do in the video. The oil light goes out though which I think is a bit strange.

I sanded down the wire and the surface of the thermostat housing last night. It didn't change the behavior :/
Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello again. I've got a small update. I checked all interior fuses with a test light. Results in attached image.

Also found no power at the crank pos. sensor plug. Sensor itself seems to be open circuit.

Only other thing I noticed is the MTR CHECK fuse under the hood doesn't have power to it either.
Sorry about the hand writing! I had to write left handed and cramped up. I tested the top of the fuse first then the bottom. On = test light lit up. Off = self explanatory. No Fuse is also self explanatory.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone help! I can't figure this out for the life of me! What else should I check?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grab a helms dude. I believe the 96-00 helms have searchable terms, at least mine does. They don't always work but its better than having to spend a whole day writing in comments on a 92-95 helms to be searchable.
Some guy shared a link via google drive on clubcivic. Get it at your own risk or browse through the sections online.

https://www.
clubcivic.
com/forum/
threads/96-00-service-manual-free-to-anyone.176563/