Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I must be crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I must be crazy...

So I've been around the game for some time, hell I've been around the game before Hondas were running 10 secs on the quarter mile, that can tell you how old I am, not nearly 40 but whatevs, you know what Im saying.

Anyway I stopped turning wrenches back in 2003 because I was tired of being under hoods, and overall got burned out and said screw cars. Now 7 years laters, married, house in had and I am itching to get a second car to mod. Looked at an M3, then on to a 335i, then 535i, then I was like screw that, not down with the car payment specially with an perfectly running 2006 jeep....... I'm building an EK this time....

So what's changed since 03 ? Anything new aside from the K series ? What did I miss ?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I must be crazy...

Now EK's fly man! Just look up sometime. J/K man, just look around here. I'd say that fad has changed from ricer to racer, and much cleaner is the "in" thing. Just my .02
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

J swaps is where its at
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

j swaps are relatively new. beastly torque monsters too. b series have agone a long way, and are still doing good. i wouldnt say that the scene has changed too much, cars nowadays are much more clean than back then. flush wheel setups is what its all about!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since you know he we roll im gonna tell you what we tell every other "NOOB" ........"SEARCH"

But on the real....the scene is better now than those FnF days...... I would build a k swap Ek or a boosted gsr...all depends on your goals and $
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get off honda-tech.com and go to nwp4life.com...
lots of dumb kids on here with colorful tow hooks, pink wheels and other dumb stuff...

and j swaps are wack i wouldn't touch one... k>htob>b
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Well since you know he we roll im gonna tell you what we tell every other "NOOB" ........"SEARCH"
Why dont you search for a tutor and mayble learn some grammar. Anyways what the hell is he supposed to search for? It's a forum for christ's sake.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear the good ol' b series still sputtering around, along with the k's, and now the j's so there has been a little change, that's not too shabby.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cityslicker1606
Why dont you search for a tutor and mayble learn some grammar. Anyways what the hell is he supposed to search for? It's a forum for christ's sake.
No offense taken bro. Hey you're from Tampa ? I used to be from there, Im still an admin over at tamparacing.com and still post there every once in a while.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by POLLO
No offense taken bro. Hey you're from Tampa ? I used to be from there, Im still an admin over at tamparacing.com and still post there every once in a while.
Never been on there, I usually spend a few hours a day on HT learning stuff and tinkering with my car. I'm a noob lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by POLLO
So I've been around the game for some time, hell I've been around the game before Hondas were running 10 secs on the quarter mile, that can tell you how old I am, not nearly 40 but whatevs, you know what Im saying.

Anyway I stopped turning wrenches back in 2003 because I was tired of being under hoods, and overall got burned out and said screw cars. Now 7 years laters, married, house in had and I am itching to get a second car to mod. Looked at an M3, then on to a 335i, then 535i, then I was like screw that, not down with the car payment specially with an perfectly running 2006 jeep....... I'm building an EK this time....

So what's changed since 03 ? Anything new aside from the K series ? What did I miss ?
Not a whole lot has changed.

There's still B versus D threads/fights.

There's still cars getting stolen left and right.

It's still a giant dick measuring contest.

It's stil not rice if the person in question likes it.

I understand K swaps have come down in price, but they're still not worth it to me. The J swap is neat, but you have to chop your hood up. That kind of kills the sleeper look if you're going for that.

Hmm... There's a lot of places that are making replica OE parts and replica high-end parts which aren't so high end.

I was around in '03, but I suppose it's weird to think about how things might have changed from that point. Back in '03 I was on ClubCivic, which was a much smaller site at the time. So for me I remember when the scene was more close-knit and everyone knew just about everyone.

I've personally learnt a lot in that time period, but I couldn't update you off the top of my head on which businesses are new and big and reputable or which ones had a good reputation but have fallen (steer clear of PW:JDM though - they just sell replica parts at the same price as the original parts once they jack the design).

I'll try to answer individual questions if you have any though.

Oh, I should include that a year or so ago the site switched ownership. It now belongs to Internet Brands instead of the original creators. Because of that switch and since IB switched to vBulletin, which many old members were NOT a fan of, the site lost a lot of very valuable members all at once.

So unfortunately a lot of the help disappeared both because of that change and later more disappeared because so many others had already left. The site has slowly been nursing itself back to health but I don't know if it will ever be the same again.

Now it is more acceptable to be a noob who comes on the site and makes a million threads asking stupid questions without even trying to search. Gone are the days when noobies were too afraid of being flamed for asking a ton of stupid questions. Gone are the days that it was in their best interest to search before they even tried to post. Now you'll see posts straight up saying, "I know I could search but I'm too lazy."
Originally Posted by cityslicker1606
You should search for the definition of "joke" and "sarcasm".
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are alot less triple-deck GT Spoilers, body kits, underglows and graphics.
there are more "JDM Style" things now. more Knock-offs than real stuff lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by -__-
there are alot less triple-deck GT Spoilers, body kits, underglows and graphics.
there are more "JDM Style" things now. more Knock-offs than real stuff lol.
The only people who ever would post about how much they liked body kits in 2003 were usually also just trying to be nice.

JDM was popular then too. Body kits (besides the ones popular today), park bench spoilers and under body light kits weren't popular back then either.

Stickers were popular for some time, but not down the body so much. All over the windshield was popular around 2006 or so. I still see plenty of cars with stickers on the glass today too. The diagonal design across the sides of the windshield deal has waned in popularity though. Now I see them at the bottom or the traditional banner design.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One very positive thing i will add is that the cost of B swaps has gone way way down! They are a lot easier to track down due to years of importing from over sea's. A couple moths ago, i bought a full B18C1 long bock for $200. Look around, there are some real deals out there if you are patient
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

oh, almost forgot...Hondata has come a long way to for tuning. If you run OBDI, you can program an ecu to run pretty much any motor setup!