Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

TL or 3 Series?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL or 3 Series?

Obviously you guys are going to be bias, but which car would you get? I'm thinking between these two. So it would either be an 04 and up TL or a 06 3 Series.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TL or 3 Series? (Get-InsuranceQuotes)

What are you going to be using the car for? They are very different animals.....TL is larger, has more room, FWD, 3 is RWD, smaller, more nimble, potentially automatic, etc. Are you looking at the TLS or regular TL? What model 3 series? With so many variables, it is hard to compare apples to apples.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TL or 3 Series? (pnthr30)

hey bro, my buddy just bought a 3 series he loves it. Personally i'm not a huge fan of the newer body style, and his car didn't even come with hids. I've never driven a tl, but i love the way they look, and i personally think they look a lot more luxurious and expensive than a 3 series. maybe not a lot more, but more. the 3 series is pretty fast, but i'm sure the tl is as well. If it were up to me, i love beemers, but i'd love a 6spd tl even more, especially with some 19inch wheels, it would look hot as hell. Another thing, everyone has a bmw. i can drive around and see at least 5 bmws to at least 1 tl. Drive them both, if the performance of one doenst sway your decision, and you need to decide on strictly which car would benefit you more, i'd say go with the tl. but again, i'm a biased ****, i have had 2 hondas, my mom has a tsx, and my dad might buy a cl . Let me know how things go tho
Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

It's such a tough decision, they both look so good in white. The TL's italian design vs the Bimmers German-Japanese style haha. I've driven the bimmer and the quality is like nothing I've ever felt, way better than my acura rsx. I'm pretty much just going to use the car to just show off haha.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Get-InsuranceQuotes)

i hear ya, but WOAH i totally forgot, my friend has a 4 door 3 series. If i had to choose between a tl or a 3 series coupe, i'd get a white coupe with no question at all.

but if its between a tl and a 3 series sedan, if the tl was just as fast if not faster than the beemer, and handled as good, i would probably get a white tl just to be a little different than everyone else.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned

great minds think a like, now let's throw a G35/7 coupe in the mix. see how hard this can get? lol
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd choose a TL over a 3 series because the TL comes with alot of standard features that the 3 series doesn't. With the TL you get more for your money. Parts and maintenance are alot less expensive and I would think the TL is more reliable. the pros I see about the BMW, are its a BMW, RWD and if you buy new you get the free maintenance **** for 4 years 50k miles, I think.

What I like doing before buying a car is reading magazine road test and articles from car and driver, motor trend, road and track ect. search google and also do some researching on some bmw forums. Good luck on choosing and let us know what you dececided on.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UA6 BALLER STATUS)

You still never answered TL or TL Type S to which 3 Series.

Hands down I'd get the TL. Between a TL and Type S I'd be split. I wouldn't turn my back on a Honda.

BMW has really only showen quality and realiabilty in the 3's and 5's. And that's not even being consistant.

When I look to get a car, I intend on keeping it for quite a long time. How about you? If you just want the car for a short lease, maybe the BMW would better you.

Do you wanna show your short with issues for a few years ?... or show you got some huge stamina!?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default Re: (D16Z6racing)

Are you saying the quality of a Acura is better than a BMW? I don't know about that.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM

TL type S ftw.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM

TL all the way.

BTW, first post. Hello all.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Get-InsuranceQuotes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you saying the quality of a Acura is better than a BMW? I don't know about that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your right, that could be debated all day. I'd say the 3 series, but I'm also a BMW owner and I'm slowly becoming more of a rear wheel drive person. As soon as this stupid economy picks back up I plan on scooping up a 330 ZHP for a daily driver. Just remember that an BMW is going to require far more maintenance (preventative & regular) than a TL. That maintenance is also a good bit more expensive.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Get-InsuranceQuotes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you saying the quality of a Acura is better than a BMW? I don't know about that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Consumer Reports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"Overall, the best cars sold in the U.S. are made by Honda. That's the conclusion of a recent analysis conducted by Consumer Reports that looks at the reliability, performance, fuel economy, comfort, interior fit and finish, and ergonomics of 262 vehicles we've recently tested.

Honda, with an overall score of 78, is followed closely by Toyota (75) and Subaru (72). BMW, Mazda, Nissan, and Volkswagen are tied at 71, after rounding."</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (cannan)

TL all the way... Germans just do it differently, I am more comfortable with the Japanese build quality and philosophies on engineering. Certainly both cars are really really good. but between the two to go TL
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TL all the way... Germans just do it differently, I am more comfortable with the Japanese build quality and philosophies on engineering. Certainly both cars are really really good. but between the two to go TL</TD></TR></TABLE>
As far as the <u>current</u>, new 3 series, I have to admit that I do sort of "get it" and would not mind owning one. I think the 335i Coupe actually seems like a good buy in the segment.

However, even though the TL series is about to be replaced, I still find it a more comfortable, technologically advanced vehicle that in most cases for most users would be a better overall choice than the 3.

And when you're talking about Consumer Reports findings, a difference between 78 (Honda) and 71 (BMW) is getting to the point where it's statistically significant.

BMW and Honda both report HP ratings that seem to close to reality, by the way, unlike Toyota, Nissan and many others. So you can rely on the fact that the 300 HP 335i motor fair hauls.

I can't fault either choice, and I'd have a hard time choosing myself!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
No Big Whoop

As a former BMW owner I can tell you that those cars don't age well.
I had a lot of problems with "lean engine" check engine lights and it turned out to be the rubber seals/tubes going and coming from all the intake hoses and what not. The rubber seals on the doors just drop down like nobody's business. The sunroof trim ended up in my lap one day. It's really annoying stuff that you should not have to put up with a "luxury" vehicle.

BTW, mine was a 2002 323 Ci with 56K miles.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: TL or 3 Series? (Maxbore.com)

The aging issue is a really good point... I have driven the 335 as well as the TL, TL type S and the new accord... there is a difference. the BMW's are really great cars, but after a few years they seem to loose something, where a Honda does not IMHO. I drove my 1992 GSR for over 15 years of track duty and HARD HARD driving, and you know what... this is what she looked like after being modded to death, driven into the ground, raced extensively:

Taken 30 days before sold her @ 15 years old

I realize that, this discussion has nothing to do with integras but it does have something to do with Honda build qualities
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

I agree with the aging part about BMWs, but their build quality is mostly good, but their prices are way out there in comparison to Honda/Acura.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was purely for a daily driver, I would go with a TL. Personally, I think I'm gonna end up getting a TL, with a Miata as the weekend/trackday car. As I get older, I like the idea of keeping my daily vehicles and my fun vehicles separate.

Regarding reliability, the Germans seem to be hit or miss when it comes to things like electronics. Especially with newer vehicles.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM

06 3 series
Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (pjr710)

3 series is slower up until about 123mph......I've raced them before and managed to out run them to that speed but once you get into 4th, it's game over...... they catch you and pass you even when you add headers and intake the accelleration in 4th and 5th leaves a lot to be desired in a TL/CL type S due to extremely tall gears.

5th is .47:1
4th is .67:1

things i like about my car

1. accelleration
2. comfort
3. a lot of nice extras

things I do not like
1. transmission is pos
2. some unwanted rattles at 67K and 6 years
Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YeuEmMaiMai)

This shouldn't even be a discussion. If you can afford it, get the BMW. The last Acura I sat in had one of the cheapest looking and feeling interiors I have ever seen in a car. Also, front wheel drive on a car that big and heavy is just horrible; understeer is the name of the game. There are just so many different aspects in which you can compare the two cars, and I'm having a hard time coming up with one where the Acura comes out on top.

Not trying to sound like I'm a Honda basher, not by a long shot. But come on, this is a BMW we're talking about.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (slowata)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowata &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">understeer is the name of the game. </TD></TR></TABLE>
When you're in a hurry, the kind of driving you will use with an FF car is different from the kind of driving you will use with an FR car.

I'll even go as far as to say that the typical driver with typical road and traffic conditions, or the typical driver on the typical road course in typical driving school situations, is going to tend to be faster and safer in the Acura than he will be in the BMW.

So many accidents and off course situations are avoided in the Acura by refusing to lift, doing a quick lift to point the car, or putting your foot down to pull the car through.

It's much, much harder to do that with the BMW. With the BMW, if you over cook a corner, you're basically going to spin or go off. It's much harder to save the situation with the BMW.

An Acura's potential understeer at the limit is there, sure. But in actuality the car understeers only because you do not know how to drive it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not trying to sound like I'm a Honda basher, not by a long shot. But come on, this is a BMW we're talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
BMW is not God's gift to automotive enthusiasts. :-) They are still made by human hands, and they have only an average rate of repair.

When you get into a new BMW, you're instantly impressed, and when you drive one you're even more impressed. Probably more than any other manufacturer's designers and engineers, the ones who work for BMW "get it" when it comes to what an enthusiast wants to <u>feel</u> when he's steering and shifting, when he's braking and rotating.

But it's still just a car, made by humans, not angels. And it has a lot of sore spots and bad points.

There are many situations where the design of the Acura can be shown to be superior (including owner satisfaction and superior repair history), and the BMW is not the first choice for any number of drivers, even if money were not a part of the equation.

IMHO, of course.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (slowata)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowata &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This shouldn't even be a discussion. If you can afford it, get the BMW. The last Acura I sat in had one of the cheapest looking and feeling interiors I have ever seen in a car. Also, front wheel drive on a car that big and heavy is just horrible; understeer is the name of the game. There are just so many different aspects in which you can compare the two cars, and I'm having a hard time coming up with one where the Acura comes out on top.

Not trying to sound like I'm a Honda basher, not by a long shot. But come on, this is a BMW we're talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah ok

my 6 year old acura = no rust

my friends 4 year old BMW already has rust around the drain holes on the trunk and doors not to mention intermittent trips to the dealer for various electrical issue that she has
Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Re: (UA6 BALLER STATUS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UA6 BALLER STATUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd choose a TL over a 3 series because the TL comes with alot of standard features that the 3 series doesn't. With the TL you get more for your money. Parts and maintenance are alot less expensive and I would think the TL is more reliable. the pros I see about the BMW, are its a BMW, RWD and if you buy new you get the free maintenance **** for 4 years 50k miles, I think.

What I like doing before buying a car is reading magazine road test and articles from car and driver, motor trend, road and track ect. search google and also do some researching on some bmw forums. Good luck on choosing and let us know what you dececided on. </TD></TR></TABLE> X2

Quick Reply: TL or 3 Series?