Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I just heard this.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just heard this.....

Someone just told me ur suppose to put motor oil in the b-series tranny? Ive never heard this before... And im not talking bout and automatic either.... Im tlakin bout manual... anybody kknow about this?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Re: I just heard this..... (kidwit93delsol)

well i don't really know if it's true or not, but that's what i heard too, and thats what i always use on my cars. haven't mess up anything.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I just heard this..... (Master Type R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Master Type R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i don't really know if it's true or not, but that's what i heard too, and thats what i always use on my cars. haven't mess up anything. </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kidwit93delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone just told me ur suppose to put motor oil in the b-series tranny? Ive never heard this before... And im not talking bout and automatic either.... Im tlakin bout manual... anybody kknow about this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ummm you both fail and your both wrong. go to honda and buy honda MTF. thats the only thing i will ever put in my honda transmissions. i have used a few different oils/tranny fluids and nothing has given the best feel/performance other then honda MTF. its made specifically for hondas so why would it not be good?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN use 10-30 if you want.....But Honda MTF is the best way to go.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

I always thought u were suppose to use MTF..... but someone just told me that u were suppose to use motor oil and not MTF. To me that sounded wrong, and thats why i asked... Thanks for your time. Victor
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kidwit93delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kidwit93delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always thought u were suppose to use MTF..... but someone just told me that u were suppose to use motor oil and not MTF. To me that sounded wrong, and thats why i asked... Thanks for your time. Victor</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kidwit93delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always thought u were suppose to use MTF..... but someone just told me that u were suppose to use motor oil and not MTF. To me that sounded wrong, and thats why i asked... Thanks for your time. Victor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. Victor. Thanks. For your time.

Just saying.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (kidwit93delsol)

API Grade G motor oil. Motorcycle engine oil to be exact. 10w30/40 depending on temperature/driving conditions. Been using it for years with all my honda's. Mobil make a synthetic version. One change last damn near forever.

And the only thing I've heard as for oil in an auto was the ford trucks that had problems with heating up and slipping, add oil as stated in TSB, and built automatics to change the lockup on the converter.

*edit due to 5 post limit*

30K plus miles so far on the synthetic, no problems. And gears supposed to be making contact dry? Never heard that one before. They forgot to put the fluid in my buddies mustang trans after the re-build, and all that dry contact destroyed the trans in less than an hour. Go figure. Can't say I've ever heard that one before. I'll have to run that past my trans guy, he's a retired NHRA drag car tech. that builds tranny's and rear ends.

Modified by pearl95sc at 10:29 PM 1/28/2008

Modified by pearl95sc at 10:31 PM 1/28/2008
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (pearl95sc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pearl95sc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">API Grade G motor oil. Motorcycle engine oil to be exact. 10w30/40 depending on temperature/driving conditions. Been using it for years with all my honda's. Mobil make a synthetic version. One change last damn near forever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are NEVER supposed to use synthetic oil in a honda transmission. the synchros and gears are meant to be dry when coming together and shifting. synthetic oil will stick to the gears and be in the synchros. Yes it last forever but its ruining your tranny at the same time.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: I just heard this..... (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ummm you both fail and your both wrong. go to honda and buy honda MTF. thats the only thing i will ever put in my honda transmissions. i have used a few different oils/tranny fluids and nothing has given the best feel/performance other then honda MTF. its made specifically for hondas so why would it not be good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They failed? No, its the truth. My local Honda that I used to work at put it in all of their trannys well except some of them obviously but B-Series, yes.