Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this?

hi, ive looked around for dc sports headers and they dont have headers for my 96 civic dx model with the engine of d16y7. so is my engine compatible with headers or not? if so, please explain thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (CivicProject97)

argh... i am a troll and like to talk ****...
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (spork motorsports)

NO you cannot put headers on your 4cyl car.. yes you can put a header though

The header from a EX d16y8 will work but you will elimate your cat and may run into CEL's for o2 sensors
Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (spork motorsports)

damn i was busted trying to fake the funk

spork speaks teh truth Yo!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 AM

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (CivicProject97)

You could, buy why?

It will do absolutely nothing.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah man this guy abouve me is a liar, u need 2 headers man, and u NEEd alternator oil or ull melt it becuase of the higer exhasut temps, ill sell u some for 29.95 a oz,

also ur going to need a new vtech vtacky solinoid,

u should wire in 2 flux capacitors inline with the o2 sensors or u canr save marty or doc when the time comes</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will you shut the fuuck up already?

The guy is asking a valid question, and rather than help him out you're being a total cockbag probably because you have no idea to REALLY answer the question.

You're part of the reason I can't stand coming here any more - too many know-nothing smart-asses ruining it for everyone else because you think you all think you're funny.

Here's the deal with the 96-00 Civic DX/LX and installing an aftermarket header on them:

The DX/LX has a completely different exhaust manifold and catalytic convertor set-up from the factory than the EX model. The DX/LX has the cat inside of the exhaust manifold up in the engine compartment right in front of the engine where you'd normally install the header. An EX model has the more familiar exhaust manifold where the header installs and then cat convertor is a completely different/separate part underneath the engine in between the a-pipe for the exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhuast system.

In order to install a header you'll probably need to inlist the help of a good muffler shop, and you'll probably need to be pretty handy with extending wires for the primary oxygen/o2 sensor.

You'll need to purchase a header for a 96-00 Civic EX.

You'll need to purchase a catalytic convertor intended for a 96-00 Civic EX - the muffler shop should sell these, but the only downside is that you'll have an aftermarket cat and they're more likely to throw check engine codes for "catalyst efficiency low" on OBD2 cars. If you can find a low mileage OE used Honda Civic EX cat or even 99-00 Civic Si cat at a salvage yard (some states do not allow the sale of used cats) then I'd actually choose that over a new aftermarket one.

After purchasing the cat and header take them to the muffler shop and have the header installed and have the muffler shop modify/shorten the exhaust and add flanges so that the catalytic convertor will BOLT in - never let anyone weld the cat convertor in, because it makes it a royal PITA once it needs to be replaced again.

Once the header and cat are inplace you'll realize that the new location for your primary oxygen sensor isn't even close to where it once was in the original DX manifold. You'll need to either have the wires extended and screw the sensor into the new location on the new header, or even better buy a wire extension harness online, because cutting and splicing o2 wires is almost like asking for a check engine light.

In the end you'll be getting rid of a pile of shiit exhaust manifold that cracks on it's own anywhere after 100,000 miles, and if yours is already cracked be prepared to spend over $600.00 for a new one!

Oh and lastly:

I seriously doubt you'll be able to remove the primary o2 sensor from the original manifold without damaging it, so you'll probably want to go ahead and buy a new one. Try finding a Denso brand sensor - like OE, but way cheaper. 1/2 the time when changing manifolds/headers the oxygen sensor is either completely seized in the old one, or even if you get it out it'll throw a CEL soon afterwards.

Good luck.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 9:25 AM 7/28/2006
Old 07-28-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Will you shut the fuuck up already?

The guy is asking a valid question, and rather than help him out you're being a total cockbag probably because you have no idea to REALLY answer the question.

You're part of the reason I can't stand coming here any more - too many know-nothing smart-asses ruining it for everyone else because you think you all think you're funny.

Here's the deal with the 96-00 Civic DX/LX and installing an aftermarket header on them:

The DX/LX has a completely different exhaust manifold and catalytic convertor set-up from the factory than the EX model. The DX/LX has the cat inside of the exhaust manifold up in the engine compartment right in front of the engine where you'd normally install the header. An EX model has the more familiar exhaust manifold where the header installs and then cat convertor is a completely different/separate part underneath the engine in between the a-pipe for the exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhuast system.

In order to install a header you'll probably need to inlist the help of a good muffler shop, and you'll probably need to be pretty handy with extending wires for the primary oxygen/o2 sensor.

You'll need to purchase a header for a 96-00 Civic EX.

You'll need to purchase a catalytic convertor intended for a 96-00 Civic EX - the muffler shop should sell these, but the only downside is that you'll have an aftermarket cat and they're more likely to throw check engine codes for "catalyst efficiency low" on OBD2 cars. If you can find a low mileage OE used Honda Civic EX cat or even 99-00 Civic Si cat at a salvage yard (some states do not allow the sale of used cats) then I'd actually choose that over a new aftermarket one.

After purchasing the cat and header take them to the muffler shop and have the header installed and have the muffler shop modify/shorten the exhaust and add flanges so that the catalytic convertor will BOLT in - never let anyone weld the cat convertor in, because it makes it a royal PITA once it needs to be replaced again.

Once the header and cat are inplace you'll realize that the new location for your primary oxygen sensor isn't even close to where it once was in the original DX manifold. You'll need to either have the wires extended and screw the sensor into the new location on the new header, or even better buy a wire extension harness online, because cutting and splicing o2 wires is almost like asking for a check engine light.

In the end you'll be getting rid of a pile of shiit exhaust manifold that cracks on it's own anywhere after 100,000 miles, and if yours is already cracked be prepared to spend over $600.00 for a new one!

Oh and lastly:

I seriously doubt you'll be able to remove the primary o2 sensor from the original manifold without damaging it, so you'll probably want to go ahead and buy a new one. Try finding a Denso brand sensor - like OE, but way cheaper. 1/2 the time when changing manifolds/headers the oxygen sensor is either completely seized in the old one, or even if you get it out it'll throw a CEL soon afterwards.

Good luck.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 9:25 AM 7/28/2006</TD></TR></TABLE> this guy knows his ****!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Former Moderator

BTW:

Stick with the DC header too. IMO they are a great bang for the buck header. they are not the cheapest, but IMO they're the best quality constructed in relation to their price. There are a ton of really shitty ones out there for way cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

I also meant to add that you'll probably want to buy an exhaust manifold gasket from Honda since sometimes if you reuse the gasket you end up with an exhaust leak there.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:19 AM

If you're trying to go faster then don't bother.

I have this lump *** motor in a EK CX, and raced another 96 CX both D16Y7, with him having intake, header, and full exhaust. His car SOUNDED faster than mine, but in a bullshit fuckaround race to 90 MPH, I edged him out, with everything stock to the airbox. ****'s a waste of money, even the $50 for an ebay header.

Worst part about that race, the owner of the other EK was coming from a LSVTEC DA, and I was coming from a B16 EJ1, and we both ended up with slow Y7 *****....
Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (ThatEKhatch)

Some people need to replace a cracked stock one, and again the stock crap is hella expensive.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I love doggies

Oh yeah!!! my stock one cracked as everybody knows its prone to crack around the O2 sensor.

I had to hunt on H-tech and got lucky ands found one in vallejo from another user!

If you cant find one in the classified ebay sells them for about 300.oo. its says it wont pass smog in cali but my friend told me otherwise but still check just to make sure...also....

Call honda... i called I theres an extended warranty... cant remeber the mileage they extended it to but they'll replace it if your eligible.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some people need to replace a cracked stock one, and again the stock crap is hella expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa, haven't seen you post in FOREVER, welcome back (i think)

Old 07-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (TheLudeguy)

I just went with the EX exhaust manifold and extended the o2 sensor wire. I also replaced the complete exhaust with an EX exhaust too.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 AM
I love doggies

If you stock one cracked around the O2 sensor like mine call honda if your at a certain milage then you can get the mani replaced through a extended warranty.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no ur vtack fluid is too strong and that the turbo dangling off that exhasut needs more altanator oil so the flux capacitor doesnt get in the way </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah man this guy abouve me is a liar, u need 2 headers man, and u NEEd alternator oil or ull melt it becuase of the higer exhasut temps, ill sell u some for 29.95 a oz,

also ur going to need a new vtech vtacky solinoid,

u should wire in 2 flux capacitors inline with the o2 sensors or u canr save marty or doc when the time comes</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the heck was the point of posting that garbage?
Did you think everyone would laugh at it and be your friend?
Did you think you were actually funny? Or actually helping the poster?
Do you think nobody has heard stupid jokes like that before?
If you can answer the question then do so, no need to waste everyone's bandwidth with non-sensical jibberish.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u must be a serisous dumbass if u cannot extend a 4 wire o2 simple ****,</TD></TR></TABLE>

So EXACTLY how did you extend your o2 wires then? I'm just curious what materials you used in terms of connections, etc.

No **** it can be done, but unless you're doing it the right way sometimes buying a nice looking extension harness not only works great, but looks better than extended wires.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heressome advice, buy a new o2 there like 100 bucks @ autozone there just too much of a bitch to deal with, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which brand from Auto Zone? I'm here to tell you that they push Bosch horseshit on everyone, and from the many cars that have come through my Honda shop I can tell you Bosch sucks *** for Honda/Acura engines. Denso or OE all the way, and worst case get an NTK if you can't find the Denso or OE Honda ones.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 company that is great is chikara, they have there coated headers for bout 120 shipped at summitracing well worth it, becuase it meets the oem specificatons, thas right not built for any horespower gain, jus to replace the cast half with mild tbe steel so it lasts longer, and it includes a gasket, and the gasket between the down pipe, go to onda anyway and pick those p its made of a material that burns away oem ones are metal </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're telling me Chikara doesn't claim any horsepower gains?

Really? What's this?

http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

Taken from that link:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hedman Chikara Hedders offer more power and torque--at a low cost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also there is nothing about a Chikara header that will outlast a DC header.

I mean if we're going to give the guy info let's give him correct info, right?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used old o2 sensor wires from another Civic and spliced them to the clips.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:14 AM

dammit the arrow didnt line up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same here, i took the clip from my civic, cut and soldered them on to the old wires, voila longer, if u dont get that then some one proly has to explain 2+2 to u, bud i bet ur shop is **** u dunno how to extend wires lmao, take some soder a gun and some wire materials used, proecdure, strip wire, twist onto old wire, heat gun up, apply solder, same as other 4 wires,

graph

------# twist ***** #-------

-------##--------------
^
solder here *****

conclusion
u extend ed some f**kin wires *****!

feels like im in middle school with those lab sheets rember that ****? ya thats how this is setup lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

You stupid mother ****** you can shut the fuuck any time.

I was thinking surely some dumbfuck kid like yourself who could not post anything contructive cannot understand the conecpt of soldering, but you've surprised me.

My shop?

Don't even start. Have you seen the kind of **** I do? My shop? STFU kid.

...and you using "*****" is completely retarded - grow the fuuck up.

Bottom line?

You couldn't help the guy, and I did, so now you're trying to knit-tpick something I typed in my helpful reply to the guy.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 3:35 PM 7/28/2006

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 3:36 PM 7/28/2006
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same here, i took the clip from my civic, cut and soldered them on to the old wires, voila longer, if u dont get that then some one proly has to explain 2+2 to u, bud i bet ur shop is **** u dunno how to extend wires lmao, take some soder a gun and some wire materials used, proecdure, strip wire, twist onto old wire, heat gun up, apply solder, same as other 4 wires,

graph

------# twist ***** #-------

-------##--------------
^
solder here *****

conclusion
u extend ed some f**kin wires *****!

feels like im in middle school with those lab sheets rember that ****? ya thats how this is setup lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoah, you need to lay off using that word here.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Headers are for 2 banks, a 4 cylinder car only has one bank, so it's header, can you put a header on your car with that motor? Yes, a D-series header will fit fine, you might be able to feel a difference regardless of what these whp dyno analyzing ******** think, but the difference won't be able to crank #'s out

But if u really know what ur feeling for, a CAI, a header, and a catback exhaust will all make a power gain that you can feel if you know D series engines... or if u just drive 'em a lot... These jerks that keep saying "u won't feel any difference" are b-series freaks who have no idea what the hell they're talking about

I can feel the diff of a CAI on a D16 any day, before and after test drives are obviously the best way...like I said, the HP gain might only be 1 hp, MAYBE 2....but u'll feel a difference

Trust me

and for all the people that are busting this kid's ***** about saying headers instead of header...LET'S TALK SEMANTICS, SHALL WE?

he said: "hi, ive looked around for dc sports headers and they dont have headers for my 96 civic dx model with the engine of d16y7. so is my engine compatible with headers or not? if so, please explain thanks."

This is all gramatically correct, he's looked around for DC Sports "HEADERS" - meanign he looked at more than one.... you can have a 4-2-1 two piece, a 4-2-1 1 piece, so on and so forth....he also said "is my engine compatible with headers or not" meaning, it could be compatible with different headers, he didn't ask if headerS could be installed at the same time, but headers can be installed on his engine, each HEADER installed one at a time of course

So that's the big &lt;^&gt; you to the people that are busting his ***** about saying "headers" instead of "header" -- Gramatically, it could maek sense.

Jerks...

Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: i have a d16y7 dx model. can i put headers on this? (TheLudeguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheLudeguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you stock one cracked around the O2 sensor like mine call honda if your at a certain milage then you can get the mani replaced through a extended warranty.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they'll warranty the exhaust manifold itself to 8 years/80,000 - but they won't warranty the o2 sensor even if it's throwing a check engine code.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 PM

ya but chances are hes got a 96-98 which isnt in warranty also honda waranties that old dont roll over