Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I give up... lost and confused with my car (real problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I give up... lost and confused with my car (real problem

'I know its long but I was hoping to give you a real idea of whats going on. Im sorry in advance.

to give you an idea,
Car: 95 cx
Engine: b16 block gsr head milled .40
trans: S80 lsd

Well the other day it snowed real bad here in WI, And I live in a condo that for some reason dosent like to plow its drive ways. Well during this snow storm I get a call from H&R block telling me my Return check has arrived (3500$). So I leave to go pick it up and when I return home my drive way is completely snowed in. It's only like 5 feet to get into my garage so I just drive to drive threw all the snow (first mistake) well after a few attemps my car gets stuck, So I turn to the rock it out method (second mistake) wich led me to rip off my bumper while rocking backwards. So I get pissed and take the bumper off the rest of the way. then storm back to my car cuase now im mad and decide F*** it im just going to drop the clutch and plow my way into the garage... Well after going threw 1st 2nd 3rd and then when I get into 4th it starts to pull forward (finial mistake) well the 4th gear pull did the trick getting it into the garage. I cleaned up the snow reattached the bumper and went to bed. Well I woke up this morning and on my way to the bank I start hearing this poping noise and a sound like there was some thing in my tire. So when i get to the bank I check everthing out and dont see anything obvious besides the boot on the PS axel is gone. So Im like ok its just an axel right... Well then the noise goes away, So I think I can get by for a little while till I can make it to an auto zone. Well after driving around all day I think I have come to the conclusion that it is my diff.
I jacked my car up and got underneth to see if I could find anything other wise.. check the axel - look fine
check tire rods/ball joint - seem fine
but when I spin the wheel forward and backwards in neutral there is a sloppy feeling and a faint slapping noise coming from the tranny, But when I put it in gear the sloppiness and the slapping are greatly reduced. leads me to think the diff....
Now I know some of you are going to say " replace the axels" but here is the best part.
I HAVE LSD, So when I spin one tire the other one should spin in the same direction right?? Well they spin oppisite. Reason #2 I think its the diff.

I know this is long but its been a long day sorry.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (real problem (CTR_B)

So I think Im going to make an appointment to have it looked at and if I do need to relace the diff I can kiss my H2B good bye.. This money was for my built H for my H2B conversion but I dont think it's going to work out like that
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (CTR_B)

I also think its your deff. you've pretty much answered it from your post saying how you created the problem. LSD is good but i dont know how well it hold up to 4th gear spinning at what, 100+mph while sitting still for a long period of time.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (z6hatchboy)

Well I dont think it was spinning 100+ and I was sitting on one spot for to long, Also I was on a snow patch that was 2ft deep. But then again Idk. During 3rd 4th and 5th now on accel it makes a weriod poping noise... I need some one with lsd to respond to this post
Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one here with LSD?

Just want to know if both your tires spin in the same direction
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

I don't have an lsd but I'm almost 100% sure that even if you do have lsd the wheels turn in opposite directions until a torque is put to it, (launch/hard accel). Check your tranny fluid.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (ejoner)

Well on all my other cars (not honda) that had lsd when you spun one tire the other went in the same direction...?? IDK thats why Im hoping some one on HT that knows about lsd's can help me...

Doesnt seem im getting that lucky though
Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got this from the hondacivicforum
Operational Check

1. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels.

2. Raise the front of the vehicle, and support it with
safety stands in the proper locations.

3. With the engine off, shift the transmission into 1st
gear.

4. Rotate either front wheel by hand and check that
the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction.

5. lf the opposite front wheel does not rotate, or if vou
cannot spin the front wheels at all, the limited slip
differential is faulty and should be replaced.

Source: 1998-2001 Integra Service Manual
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got this from the hondacivicforum
Operational Check

1. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels.

2. Raise the front of the vehicle, and support it with
safety stands in the proper locations.

3. With the engine off, shift the transmission into 1st
gear.

4. Rotate either front wheel by hand and check that
the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction.

5. lf the opposite front wheel does not rotate, or if vou
cannot spin the front wheels at all, the limited slip
differential is faulty and should be replaced.

Source: 1998-2001 Integra Service Manual
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea as explained earlier in this post when I spin one wheel the opisite wheel goes in the other direction.. So this means I can start ruling out the differential????

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help today. Its been a long day for me as you can see by my posts lol.. Ontop of this my 1500 dollar lab top took a poop on me

Any ways I did alot of digging and I found that some mis lead interpitation of an axel can make it seem like you have a bad differential. While I was under the car I remember looking up and the drive side axel at an angel and thought to my self that it was because there was no load on the wheel/suspension. But after reading alot I think that the noise im hearing is from one of two things.

A. Axel binging up - need to find more info on how this happened and how to fix it.

B. Broke the C/V joint while spinning in 2nd 3rd or 4th or all.

Funny thing is that most of the noise either comes from the center of the car or driver side. Dosent really seem to be coming from the passenger side (where the Diff is) So I think that I should just replace both axels....

What do you think?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im siding with you on the axles now, since you say it sounds like its coming from the center of the car it could be the drivers side inner c/v joint maybe. But you could just get some life-time auto zone axles and if that fixes it your good and never have to buy axles again ,lol. But im thinking the axles, really.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you say u fixed the cv boot? or are u driving without it lol?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im siding with you on the axles now, since you say it sounds like its coming from the center of the car it could be the drivers side inner c/v joint maybe. But you could just get some life-time auto zone axles and if that fixes it your good and never have to buy axles again ,lol. But im thinking the axles, really.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but there 70$ a pop umm 140 plus tax total. i would hate to just wast that money on the axels if its some thing else...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roachsboosted16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you say u fixed the cv boot? or are u driving without it lol?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The passanger side axel boot is on the axel but not covering the cv joint by the wheel hub lol. I was going to replace this ( in time)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well one way to tell if its outer cv's is that it pops when you turn, if it doesnt you still may take them out and inspect them for play and such. But im going to call it a night for me, gl and post back when you have it figured out
Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well see it started this only when I turned then it went to making it all the time.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it making a kind of popping or buckling noise? Then its axles/cv's ftw
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right, Thats what its making... lol. I thought it was the differential for some reason.

No more 4th gear 80mph burn outs for me lol
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But what would explain the play in the wheel when I move it forward and backward
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That free play is whats left of your spider or cross inside of your cv, i had kinda the same on my civic, only it wasnt making that much noise but i knew from the time i had bought the car i had to replace the axles cause both cv boots were shredded and i was just too lazy to replace them until they started making noise and feeling sloppy whenever i checked em, but my noise was more of a click whenever i came to a hard stop and then the car kinda rolled back an inch or two or if i would slowly let off the clutch and then brake immediately after, but it definitely sounds like an axle is toast, other wise id say its the cross pins holding the gears in place in your lsd and one of those popped out at 80+ mph standing still. Saturns and Dodge caravans are notorious for shredding their trans cases if they wheel spin and that pin holding the spider gears in place pops out.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CTR_B
'I know its long but I was hoping to give you a real idea of whats going on. Im sorry in advance.

to give you an idea,
Car: 95 cx
Engine: b16 block gsr head milled .40
trans: S80 lsd

Well the other day it snowed real bad here in WI, And I live in a condo that for some reason dosent like to plow its drive ways. Well during this snow storm I get a call from H&R block telling me my Return check has arrived (3500$). So I leave to go pick it up and when I return home my drive way is completely snowed in. It's only like 5 feet to get into my garage so I just drive to drive threw all the snow (first mistake) well after a few attemps my car gets stuck, So I turn to the rock it out method (second mistake) wich led me to rip off my bumper while rocking backwards. So I get pissed and take the bumper off the rest of the way. then storm back to my car cuase now im mad and decide F*** it im just going to drop the clutch and plow my way into the garage... Well after going threw 1st 2nd 3rd and then when I get into 4th it starts to pull forward (finial mistake) well the 4th gear pull did the trick getting it into the garage. I cleaned up the snow reattached the bumper and went to bed. Well I woke up this morning and on my way to the bank I start hearing this poping noise and a sound like there was some thing in my tire. So when i get to the bank I check everthing out and dont see anything obvious besides the boot on the PS axel is gone. So Im like ok its just an axel right... Well then the noise goes away, So I think I can get by for a little while till I can make it to an auto zone. Well after driving around all day I think I have come to the conclusion that it is my diff.
I jacked my car up and got underneth to see if I could find anything other wise.. check the axel - look fine
check tire rods/ball joint - seem fine
but when I spin the wheel forward and backwards in neutral there is a sloppy feeling and a faint slapping noise coming from the tranny, But when I put it in gear the sloppiness and the slapping are greatly reduced. leads me to think the diff....
Now I know some of you are going to say " replace the axels" but here is the best part.
I HAVE LSD, So when I spin one tire the other one should spin in the same direction right?? Well they spin oppisite. Reason #2 I think its the diff.

I know this is long but its been a long day sorry.
It's a torsen diff. The wheels will spin the opposite direction. The diff doesn't work as an LSD if one or more wheel is off the ground

Torsen diffs are a torque multiplier. Zero multiplied by anything is zero. Torsen diffs are open diffs when one or more wheels are off the ground.

The faint slapping noise is normal. You're too worried. However, slamming gears while the car is not moving like that is HORRIBLE for your synchros. The car isn't going anywhere...so the wheels aren't actually moving the car 60 mph when you shift from 2nd to 3rd. The car does not keep the wheels going. The wheels have comparitively low interia, so they slow down pretty fast. The trans gets shocked into having to synchronize a gear at a non-constant speed. Dont do that anymore. You could have grenaded your diff...but only if you caught a patch of traction on both wheels...or enough traction on one wheel to multiply for torque loss to the other.

The play in the wheels is normal. The diff and gears all have some backlash. Put it all together, and you get a little bit of backlash at the wheel. The wheel is much larger than the diff gear or your trans gears...so all the backlash will be magnified there.

Replace your axles. Drive the car. Check your tires for nails. That could be your clicking noise. It could also be salt pellets caught in your tread.

Either way, you're goin to have to replace the axle. So just do it and see if the noise goes away (after checking your tires). The diffs are pretty durable....so you should be fine in that aspect.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (B serious)

Lol thanks again B serious Any insight you can throw on this now Im all ears..............

Well at 12:15 or so I started pulling the axels and as of around 1:20 I was on the work bench inspecting them.

driver axel: doesn't have slop in twisting motion but does have some when pulled as if you were trying to pull the hubs off. Boots on both sides are intact with no tears what so ever. In the end it looks new still

passenger axel: Well... imagine the worst looking axel EVER! that is still intact lol... I dont know how this thing stayed in one paice as long as it did, Just amazes me lol. I can see the bearings on the hub side and the boot is completely gone. the trans side is just torn and dry rotted.

Im going to try replacing the passenger side one for sure and Im going to take the driver side one to a transmission shop to see if its good (unless you all can tell me other wise)
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can take pictures also if needed
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the boots are intact and there's no excessive movement under twisting loads, and the axle is not seperated..and it "rolls" smooth when it's in the trans/hub, then the axle is fine.

Try to get used OEM Honda axles.

The aftermarket/rebuilt stock style stuff sucks usually.

Replace the passenger...put the driver's side back in. If there's still an issue, replace the driver's side. Axles are easy to take out anyway.

BTW, refill your trans with Honda MTF. Dont use any additives.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up... lost and confused with my car (B serious)

Thanks for all the help guys and B-serious

After finding out the Honda LSD's are gear driving instead of clutch type Im ruling out my differential for now. I am also ruling out the driver side axel.

I am how ever going to replace the passenger axel along with a few other things seeing on how Im in there all ready. Thanks guys

Thanks B-serious