Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hydrolock is scary shit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the few extra hp gain is not worth the risk of hydrolocking your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed..been tellin ppl that 4 awhile and plus short rams are cheaper
Old 12-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (backseatDRIVER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by backseatDRIVER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt the comptech CAI suspose to prevent hydrolock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know if I would say it prevents it, it would just seem less likely to hydrolock with the icebox setup... Although it could still easily happen.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (ek9800)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9800 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR »
the few extra hp gain is not worth the risk of hydrolocking your motor.

agreed..been tellin ppl that 4 awhile and plus short rams are cheaper</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, did you even read this thread? Give us 1 piece of hard evidence that proves a cai is even remotely dangerous for your car (assuming you're not a ******* moron to begin with) and then maybe someone would finally agree with you. This thread needs locked so no more retards can come post their worthless fallacies.

And by the way, my cai cost me $35 shipped, with the filter.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

CAI's are PROVEN to make more power than other types of intakes period. As many others on here can attest to, including myself, who all drive in very wet climates, you WILL NOT have a problem or run any risk in hydrolocking your engine if you keep your fender liners INSTALLED and don't drive your car in DEEP STANDING water at least 12" or more. Anyone that has hydrolocked their engine has to have done one of these things or it's simply not going to happen.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're only speaking of eg+ek+delsol chassis then i may agree. but i have to somewhat disagree. so CAI's are PROVEN to make more power than ITB's? velocity stacks? PROVEN? that's why the quickest all-motor points leaders all run CAI's? WILL NOT have a problem? i just rebuilt my friend's k20 and his fender liners are INSTALLED and the puddle was about 6" deep. it didn't "hydrolock"... just died out once, but damage was done. we pulled the car to our shop, changed the oil, got all the moisture out and it did indeed run good. but i didn't think compressing enough water to cause your engine to die out was healthy so we pulled the head. 3 pistons were "cocked" so we automatically knew there was damage. pulled the pistons and found out the rods were curved. so we know that your car can still run, run good, but the damage is done. simply not going to happen... eh... i'm not out to prove you wrong... i like my top fuel short ram with velocity stack.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (pb16b)

either take your chance with the CAI or not, either drive smart and have all the proper things installed, or get a J's Racing, its that simple.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (snoochtodanooch)

Old 12-10-2004, 05:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pb16b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you're only speaking of eg+ek+delsol chassis then i may agree. but i have to somewhat disagree. so CAI's are PROVEN to make more power than ITB's? velocity stacks? </TD></TR></TABLE>

owned
Old 12-10-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (GetCaughtDead)

when it rains i never take it past 3k

shouldnt even drive in the rain anyway
Old 12-11-2004, 01:26 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pb16b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you're only speaking of eg+ek+delsol chassis then i may agree. but i have to somewhat disagree. so CAI's are PROVEN to make more power than ITB's? velocity stacks? PROVEN? that's why the quickest all-motor points leaders all run CAI's? WILL NOT have a problem? i just rebuilt my friend's k20 and his fender liners are INSTALLED and the puddle was about 6" deep. it didn't "hydrolock"... just died out once, but damage was done. we pulled the car to our shop, changed the oil, got all the moisture out and it did indeed run good. but i didn't think compressing enough water to cause your engine to die out was healthy so we pulled the head. 3 pistons were "cocked" so we automatically knew there was damage. pulled the pistons and found out the rods were curved. so we know that your car can still run, run good, but the damage is done. simply not going to happen... eh... i'm not out to prove you wrong... i like my top fuel short ram with velocity stack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what planet you're from but since when was a CAI or Short ram ever considered to be in the same league as ITB's or velocity stacks???? Intake pipes!! was what was being compared and in that sense CAI's ARE PROVEN to make more power than SRI's and other cheap knock offs.

As far as what the quickest all motor guys are running at the track goes...those are RACE motors that are built to turn and operate at much higher RPM than standard street motors do. CAI's were never designed for race engines, they were designed for real everyday STREET engines and on those engines CAI's produce the best power gains. You need to learn how to start comparing apples to apples instead of oranges...

Say what you will about the damage you and your buddy experienced with his engine as a result of hydrolock. My question to you is....how is it that myself and many other board members are able to drive our CAI equiped cars in very rainy climates and through puddles for years without so much as a slight problem with our CAI's ingesting water??? If a CAI was really that risky for hydrolocking your engine, it would happen to a lot more people and it certainly would have happened to the guys like me who drive in extremely rainy climates. That's a fact...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeterkm02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

owned </TD></TR></TABLE>

HA....I don't think so...try again.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:05 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Say what you will about the damage you and your buddy experienced with his engine as a result of hydrolock. My question to you is....how is it that myself and many other board members are able to drive our CAI equiped cars in very rainy climates and through puddles for years without so much as a slight problem with our CAI's ingesting water??? If a CAI was really that risky for hydrolocking your engine, it would happen to a lot more people and it certainly would have happened to the guys like me who drive in extremely rainy climates. That's a fact...</TD></TR></TABLE>

My buddy ran with fender liners and hydrolocked when driving through a puddle. It is obvious other people on this site have had the same problem even with precautions. Maybe they dont have quite the same setup or drive differently than you....maybe you're driving faster or slower, who knows....the fact is you dont know exactly why some people hydrolock and others dont and you shouldnt be telling people there isnt a risk when it comes to destroying their engines.

State your facts and be done with it.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Re: (Slammed92hbonN20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammed92hbonN20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I blew my car like that hit a puddle and buh- bie lil engine </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know i'll never run a CAI that runs down to my bumper again. I went through a puddle it sucked up some water and I snapped a rod.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (GetCaughtDead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetCaughtDead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The whole thing is wrapped in foam, to act as a filter for when air does come through the valve. So if you have little bits of water in your intake, they don't even touch the foam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well....there's also foam inside the valve, but the water particles may not "jump out" and into the foam because of the speed it's traveling at.

I have the inner fender, splash guard and the bypass valve on. Just to be a bit more protected. As I live on the Norwegian west coast the car will see a lot of rain and puddles (and salt in the winter )
Old 12-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
CAI's are PROVEN to make more power than other types of intakes period. As many others on here can attest to, including myself, who all drive in very wet climates, you WILL NOT have a problem or run any risk in hydrolocking your engine if you keep your fender liners INSTALLED and don't drive your car in DEEP STANDING water at least 12" or more. Anyone that has hydrolocked their engine has to have done one of these things or it's simply not going to happen.

</TD></TR></TABLE>comptech will as much power or MORE than CAI and no worry of hydrolock. wish the made a comptech for 88-91.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure what planet you're from but since when was a CAI or Short ram ever considered to be in the same league as ITB's or velocity stacks???? Intake pipes!! was what was being compared and in that sense CAI's ARE PROVEN to make more power than SRI's and other cheap knock offs.

As far as what the quickest all motor guys are running at the track goes...those are RACE motors that are built to turn and operate at much higher RPM than standard street motors do. CAI's were never designed for race engines, they were designed for real everyday STREET engines and on those engines CAI's produce the best power gains. You need to learn how to start comparing apples to apples instead of oranges...

Say what you will about the damage you and your buddy experienced with his engine as a result of hydrolock. My question to you is....how is it that myself and many other board members are able to drive our CAI equiped cars in very rainy climates and through puddles for years without so much as a slight problem with our CAI's ingesting water??? If a CAI was really that risky for hydrolocking your engine, it would happen to a lot more people and it certainly would have happened to the guys like me who drive in extremely rainy climates. That's a fact...

HA....I don't think so...try again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll try not to be one sided here so i'll give you that one about comparing itb's to an intake tube. but what about the intake tube with a velocity stack on it? i'm just arguing that CAI's are not PROVEN! PROVEN against short rams? WOW! what a suprise! it beat the short ram! i'm on planet earth so i'm not shocked that the CAI made more power than a short ram. a cheap short ram at that. a little intake tube with a filter on the end of it. hmmm... what if we extended the little intake tube outside under the car? there's colder air down there and we'll make more power with cooler air! what a concept! brilliant! that part's common sense. i'm comparing intake chambers, calculated bends, tapers, and velocity stacks. i don't know what you know about intakes but all intakes are being tested just about on a daily basis and we're still learning. on this board, if you look around, you'll see that k&n filters are putting up better dyno numbers than the other filters, j's racing whale ***** chamber is putting up better dyno numbers, and the prototyperacing.com's short ram with velocity stack puts up great numbers as well.

so trying to compare apples to apples CAI are PROVEN compared to conventional short ram intakes. but there are options. and as you can see, there are others who have hydrolocked. you're drawing them out by telling the world no-one else hydrolocks. believe what you will, i wouldn't take off my CAI if I never hydro-locked but will once I have.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:54 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: hydrolock is scary **** (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My buddy ran with fender liners and hydrolocked when driving through a puddle. It is obvious other people on this site have had the same problem even with precautions. Maybe they dont have quite the same setup or drive differently than you....maybe you're driving faster or slower, who knows....the fact is you dont know exactly why some people hydrolock and others dont and you shouldnt be telling people there isnt a risk when it comes to destroying their engines.
State your facts and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fact is I never attempted to say that there wasn't "any" risk when running a CAI, obviously or bypass valves wouldn't exist. What I was saying is that for some reason most sensible people DON'T seem to have any problems with running a CAI and hydrolocking their engines. Is that a fluke?? I was arguing against the people jumping on the bandwagon, that were pretty much saying that you shouldn't run a CAI in any type of rain or you're basically guaranteed to hydrolock your engine. This is obviously untrue. It's like listening to people say, "don't drive your car in the rain because it makes the streets really slick and you'll crash your car cause a buddy of mine did". Well the fact is many people manage to drive on slippery roads without ever going off them while many others do. State my facts? ... well I would argue that like many other things that are car related, using common sense and reasonable precautions will more than likely keep your car on the road and from hydrolocking your engine when running a CAI.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4potnick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comptech will as much power or MORE than CAI and no worry of hydrolock. wish the made a comptech for 88-91. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that the Comptech Ice Box intake is a formidable piece when it comes to power production but it is also very unique in it's construction being a SRI/CAI/stock style airbox, hybrid. Hydrolocking also doesn't seem to be an issue with them, but price typically is for most people. I think that the Ice box and it's Mugen counterpart would be an exception to the general rule here of intakes being discussed and compared. I would certainly consider them to be the best alternative on the market for power production vs risk of hydrolocking but with price being their biggest issue.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You on the other hand, should contact AEM and tell them that you some how miraculously managed to hydrolock your engine without submerging the pipe or going through deep standing water. I'm sure you'll win some sort of award for accomplishing the impossible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So which is it?......impossible or is there a risk? I'm not talking about fjording a river here.

I understand your concern about the bandwagon idea, but i think your opinion is based on your personal setup and driving habits which doesnt apply to everyone.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
All Motor Mentor

i'll try not to be one sided here so i'll give you that one about comparing itb's to an intake tube. but what about the intake tube with a velocity stack on it? i'm just arguing that CAI's are not PROVEN! PROVEN against short rams? WOW! what a suprise! it beat the short ram! i'm on planet earth so i'm not shocked that the CAI made more power than a short ram. a cheap short ram at that. a little intake tube with a filter on the end of it. hmmm... what if we extended the little intake tube outside under the car? there's colder air down there and we'll make more power with cooler air! what a concept! brilliant! that part's common sense. i'm comparing intake chambers, calculated bends, tapers, and velocity stacks. i don't know what you know about intakes but all intakes are being tested just about on a daily basis and we're still learning. on this board, if you look around, you'll see that k&n filters are putting up better dyno numbers than the other filters, j's racing whale ***** chamber is putting up better dyno numbers, and the prototyperacing.com's short ram with velocity stack puts up great numbers as well.

so trying to compare apples to apples CAI are PROVEN compared to conventional short ram intakes. but there are options. and as you can see, there are others who have hydrolocked. you're drawing them out by telling the world no-one else hydrolocks. believe what you will, i wouldn't take off my CAI if I never hydro-locked but will once I have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm glad to know that you're on the same planet I am and if you want to debate CAI's vs velocity stacks and just about every other intake idea out there that's great, but that's a whole other post topic. This topic was and is about CAI's hydrolocking in wet weather and the argument that a short ram is a safer way to go. So my whole point that they are proven to make more power than a SRI, while not new, is a fact that I was restating. That my friend is apples to apples, you were trying to create a fruit salad here...

As far as taking my CAI off once I hydrolock my motor goes...I'll continue to rely on my good judgment and common sense that has kept that from happening while driving in a VERY HIGH risk environment for over 4 years without a problem. In fact I use to own the largest performance shop in my city and sold a ton of CAI's and not one with a bypass valve and never saw or heard of 1 person ever have a problem hydrolocking their engine. That doesn't mean it never happens, it just means it's incredibly rare, where as some people would have you believe it's a common occurrence if you put a CAI on your car and drive it in the rain.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:21 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So which is it?......impossible or is there a risk? I'm not talking about fjording a river here.

I understand your concern about the bandwagon idea, but i think your opinion is based on your personal setup and driving habits which doesnt apply to everyone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I still stand by what I said in the quote you posted. IMHO if you were just driving in the rain and not through deep puddles or deep standing water or submerge the pipe, the risk of hydrolocking your engine is virtually non-existant. Again, common sense dictates that when approaching deep water/puddles that some caution be used. I personally do not slow down for any water and my fog light inlet area is cut out allowing a nearly clear shot straight to my air filter and like I have said, not even a slight problem ever, even with bogging or stalling and that is driving in very heavy rain. The only precaution I ever take is to make sure I don't drive the car into very deep standing water that is 8" or more deep. With that being said, I don't see how my driving habbits are that much less risky than anyone else's....?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 5:25 PM 11/16/2006
Old 12-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still stand by what I said in the quote you posted. IMHO if you were just driving in the rain and not through deep puddles or deep standing water or submerge the pipe, the risk of hydrolocking your engine is virtually non-existant. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, some how I knew this thread was gonna go this way. So many people are gonna read the first thread and rumors are gonna start flying.

If you have any doubts of a puddle being to deep, just kill the engine and cost threw it as a last resort. And if you don't make it all the way threw, well you shouldn't of drove threw it to began with. Use common sense people.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that the Comptech Ice Box intake is a formidable piece when it comes to power production but it is also very unique in it's construction being a SRI/CAI/stock style airbox, hybrid. Hydrolocking also doesn't seem to be an issue with them, but price typically is for most people. I think that the Ice box and it's Mugen counterpart would be an exception to the general rule here of intakes being discussed and compared. I would certainly consider them to be the best alternative on the market for power production vs risk of hydrolocking but with price being their biggest issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>. Exactly why I have the comptech. best of all worlds except price, but I'll pay extra for piece of mind. I payed $160 for just the box. no filter or arm. I actually use the stock intake arm for the stock appearence.

I laugh at thread like this. I live in central florida and would never use CAI.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:52 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool, i'm down with that last post. It actally provides some good information when people are researching. I'm just trying to understand why my friend broke two rods when driving in a moderate rain and hit a typical puddle. I was in the car with him when it happened and your setup allows more water access than his did.

Do you have pictures of your setup? That would be some good stuff to show people to try and prevent this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car still has all the stock fender liners in place and an AEM CAI on it which runs down into the front fender area through that little hole in the frame. If I had of left the front vent area closed where my fog light is it would be a nearly sealed area in there and really even a splash would get deflected away from the air filter. I can take a pic if you'd like but all you'll see is a sealed area with an opening directly in front of the filter in the bumper. What year was your buddy's car? maybe other Civics don't seal as well down there? The only way I could see him sucking up enough water to hydrolock the engine from driving through a puddle would be to have the splash from the tire to directly impact the filter and force itself into the pipe then engine. Was his filter exposed in some way to the splash?

EDIT: I just remembered that for the guys that run aftermarket front ends, that when they do that, they tend to lose the lower front plastic "pan" shrouding which would leave their filter vulnerable to water splashing. My car is still stock in that area and therefore much better protected.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4potnick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I laugh at thread like this. I live in central florida and would never use CAI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it rains anymore there than it does where I live and people aren't afraid to run CAI's here. Do you have a lot of flooding problems when it does rain? That's one thing we don't have much of here because our roads and drainage systems are designed to handle high yearly rainfall amounts.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

&lt;--Been driving for 3+ years and 120k miles in South Florida(before I moved uo north last month) and never, EVER had a problem with a CAI. We get shitloads of rain in South florida and if you use your head you wont hydrolock. It takes like 10-12 inches of water to submerge the filter. If your car stalls out because some spray got onto the filter, you have other issues unless you drove through DEEP water. Hell you can spray a water sprayer into the intake and nothing will happen, the only time water in the intake tract is an issue is when it totally fills up the cylinder.

And FWIW, a CAI makes more power at certain RPMs due to resonances(Helmholtz effect).
Old 12-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm glad to know that you're on the same planet I am and if you want to debate CAI's vs velocity stacks and just about every other intake idea out there that's great, but that's a whole other post topic. This topic was and is about CAI's hydrolocking in wet weather and the argument that a short ram is a safer way to go. So my whole point that they are proven to make more power than a SRI, while not new, is a fact that I was restating. That my friend is apples to apples, you were trying to create a fruit salad here...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

since when was a short ram intake with velocity stack not a short ram intake?

SRI (short ram intake) = inside engine compartment.
velocity stack... everyone knows what it is... i think... and it's filtered too? brilliant!

I own a performance shop as well and I know where you're coming from.

...fruit salad?

short ram intake that makes just as much if not more power than a CAI and 99% chance of not hydrolocking? 1% for those who don't cover their filters when washing their engine bay.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in chicago and it tends to flood when it constantly decides to pour. so i'd rather run this intake https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1018645 and never worry about puddles.

apples?

Quick Reply: hydrolock is scary shit