Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

humping and bumping when start moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default humping and bumping when start moving

hello you guys, first of all: thnx for all the usefull info on this great forum!

here's the good news , three weeks ago i bought a 1996 eg coupe dxi (in the USA that's EJ i believe). my first honda (i'm 19).

so, now the bad news . when the engine is cold (freezing outside), and i start moving in 1st gear the car starts to hump and bump . only in 1st gear and even when i pull away very slow from a parking spot. then when i'm trying to change gear it's very hard, no 'scratching', just very hard to shift into gear and even harder when downshifting. when the engine get's at operating temp it's all gone . the shifting problem get's harder everytime and the humping and bumping freaks me out .

can you guys help me out on this one. once the winter is over i wanna give the car a full bodywork (rustremoving) and engine job (oil, coolant, gearoil?).

P.S. don't hang me for my crappy english (i'm dutch)
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: humping and bumping when start moving (wolve)

anyone????
Old 03-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that it's your clutch slipping? Have you changed tranny fluid lately?

Old 03-01-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: humping and bumping when start moving (EX_AutoXer)

Change tranny fluid and that will solve your "hard shifting" problem...

Use only HONDA MTF transmission fluid...

As for the humping-bumping, check your motor mounts... maybe one of them is shot...

Try to do the following: when you start moving, give it more gas... do not try to start moving with low rpm's (i.e. 1000-1500)

When you first start your car in the morning, just let your motor idle for a minute or two so it gets a bit warmth...

Then take off... give it some gas, rev it to 2000-2500 rpm's (you're still on the safe side here while the motor is cold)... I am 99% sure that bumping will go away as the rpm's increase...

Just remember that it is always better to give the car more gas when start moving than to torturing it with low rpm's...

The best cruising is achieved above 2200 rpm's

Everything below 2200 is a TORTURE...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: humping and bumping when start moving (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try to do the following: when you start moving, give it more gas... do not try to start moving with low rpm's (i.e. 1000-1500)

When you first start your car in the morning, just let your motor idle for a minute or two so it gets a bit warmth...

Then take off... give it some gas, rev it to 2000-2500 rpm's (you're still on the safe side here while the motor is cold)... I am 99% sure that bumping will go away as the rpm's increase...

Just remember that it is always better to give the car more gas when start moving than to torturing it with low rpm's...

The best cruising is achieved above 2200 rpm's

Everything below 2200 is a TORTURE...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't have any problems starting out at low revs - even at idle.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: humping and bumping when start moving (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have any problems starting out at low revs - even at idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because your motor mount is not shot

But when they start to go bad, the first sign is bumping when taking off on low rpm's
Old 03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thnx for the usefull info, i'll check the mounts today. but what i don't get is that when your start moving when idling a cold motor it shakes, and when the motor is all warmed up it's gone.

and for the honda mtf, can you get it at a dealer only and how much(+-)
Old 03-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wolve &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and for the honda mtf, can you get it at a dealer only and how much(+-)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its' about $4. You'll need 2 qts.

You can also buy penzoil synchromesh at the parts store for about the same price.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wolve &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thnx for the usefull info, i'll check the mounts today. but what i don't get is that when your start moving when idling a cold motor it shakes, and when the motor is all warmed up it's gone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that is THE SYMPTOM... when it's cold it shakes and vibrates when you start moving.. but when it's warmed up it goes away...

That's because when it's cold, everything is stiff... clutch, plate, bearing and so on and normally, the engine vibrates a little more...

Like I said, just give it more gas and you're fine... I'm driving like that for 3 years now and I HAVE NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER... nothing at all...

I always start off with aprox 2400-2800 rpm's and do not have a SINGLE VIBRATION...

At first it will vibrate until you get a grip... but after few day, when you realize how much gas you need to apply for best startoff, it will become a routine... I don't even think about it anymore...

BTW, new clutch/plate/bearing or THE WHOLE TRANNY won't solve your problem...

I replaced the clutch set cos it was starting to slip... it vibrated again...

Than after a while I replaced my DX tranny for the mint-shape EX tranny (as a part of my project in progress) and it still vibrates...

So if I were you, I wouldn't try to spend money on repairs cos IT IS NOT A PROBLEM... it is probably the motor mount (the one on the tranny) a bit weaker than other motor mounts...

Nothing to worry about... just drive your car and ENJOY!!! Like I said, I drive like that for 3 years and everything is 100% OK...

I hope I helped you...
Old 03-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this taking off you describe is exactly what i always do, but only when i leave my parking spot. then i won't take off at 2.5 k. a bit overdone don't ya think , but anyways thnx for the info . ill may take a look at the mount when it get 's a little bit warmer.