Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!!

how do you set the timing if you broke your timing belt and have no reference points?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!! (Nsane1)

I am assuming you are talking about cam timing?

There are two marks on the cam sprocket that should line up with the deck of the block/head when the motor is at Top Dead Center

You may want to get a manual
or consult one online.
I think you can find one at
http://www.redpepperracing.com
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!! (Crazydave)

is that it? TDC on piston 1 compression stoke and the marks on the cam? BTW, I'm taking the head off and noticed I can leave the cam in it w/ the rocker assembly attached. So, can I leave the dizzy in it too? BTW, this is my first head gasket install. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just make sure the cam sprocket is lined up ....for tdc and block is tdc.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!! (underb00steg6)

well if you're going to get the head rebuilt which i suggest ....then remove the dizzy.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you suggest getting the head rebuilt? I'm just changing a head gasket.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

suggest getting it rebuilt cuz what if you pull the head off wrong ....it can be warped .....well you dont have to get it rebuilt but get the head resurfaced at least. so you know it will be flat.

Modified by underb00steg6 at 4:35 PM 7/1/2005
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underb00steg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">suggest getting it rebuilt cuz what you pull the head off wrong ....it can be warped .....well you dont have to get it rebuilt but get the head resurfaced at least. so you know it will be flat. </TD></TR></TABLE>Sorry but this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Not the fact of having the head decked, that is actually smart and saving you from mad flaming, but the "what if you take it off wrong". WTF if you don't know how to do it then don't **** with it. To avoid warpage when removing the head start in the center and work your way out in a cris-cross pattern. IE Top middle, bottom middle, top next one to the left, bottom to the right, bottom to left, top to right. Only start them at first, like maybe 1/3 - 1/2 turn. Then repeat the process until they feel hand tight. If you busted the timing belt I wouldn't worry too much about having it decked unless you can see fluids around where the head and block mate. Or if it overheated, or if the headgasket blew. But some times it is better safe than sorry, whats another $50 right now as opposed to down the road which would require removal of the head again.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!! (HondaFanatic708)

i have a chilton book (waiting for helms book, being delivered as I type). Chilton shows what markings to look for to set timing. there's an "UP" engraved on my cam gear, and 2 lines on it to match level with the block's top. For the crank pulley, there's a white mark. I had to position it through 2 points, like aim on a gun. its dead on right now and my idle is how it was the first time i took my car home.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i suggest a rebuild because of your timing belt broke, right? So you could have bent a valve when the timing belt snapped. In a rebuid for the head ...they check the valves , clean it up ....and in the same pr0cess they resurface it.

ps. HondaFanatic708, i know how to remove and put a head back on. Ive been messing with Hondas long before you have .....when you still playing with video games and action figures .....well maybe you still do that but you get the point.

Modified by underb00steg6 at 5:07 PM 7/1/2005
Old 07-01-2005, 08:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underb00steg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i suggest a rebuild because of your timing belt broke, right? So you could have bent a valve when the timing belt snapped. In a rebuid for the head ...they check the valves , clean it up ....and in the same pr0cess they resurface it.

ps. HondaFanatic708, i know how to remove and put a head back on. Ive been messing with Hondas long before you have .....when you still playing with video games and action figures </TD></TR></TABLE>LMFAO, I wasn't explaining the process to you, I figured you had some idea since you were smart enough to suggest the rebuild/deck. I wanted to make sure he didn't just start unbolting ****. And yes you have been messing with Honda's longer than I have since you have been following me around all my life you sick ****. LOL just playin man. I still play video games BTW and I will when I'm 28 as well, the difference is I wil not assume I have been doing something longer than anyone else or that I am more knowledgable based solely on a number. Time and age are not universal, knowledge and the attainment of it is. Props on the lame *** attempt to make yourself feel better...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, I might've fucked up big time. I didn't just start unbolting **** but I did start from the outside and went in when unbolting. I guess exactly like the tightening sequence. I was tired. We'll see how it comes out.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:40 AM

i just learned from your beef. now i shouldn't have to live that. thank you for been tired and ******* up. j/k live n learn from your mistakes ...or someone elses.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nsane1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, I might've fucked up big time. I didn't just start unbolting **** but I did start from the outside and went in when unbolting. I guess exactly like the tightening sequence. I was tired. We'll see how it comes out.</TD></TR></TABLE>You should be all good, as long as you didn't completely back the bolt out while the others were still torqued. The reason the factory service manual suggests this pattern is because it is nearly impossible for the head to warp bi-laterally unless it is under some really extreme conditions. But it can easily warp uni-laterally like if you were to remove all bolts starting on one side and working your way over. The remaining pressures applied to the bolts that are still torqued will want to releave itself in some manner, ie head warpage.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nsane1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, I might've fucked up big time. I didn't just start unbolting **** but I did start from the outside and went in when unbolting. I guess exactly like the tightening sequence. I was tired. We'll see how it comes out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you going to have to get a rebuid for sure. oh well ...trial and error

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LMFAO, I wasn't explaining the process to you, I figured you had some idea since you were smart enough to suggest the rebuild/deck. I wanted to make sure he didn't just start unbolting ****. And yes you have been messing with Honda's longer than I have since you have been following me around all my life you sick ****. LOL just playin man. I still play video games BTW and I will when I'm 28 as well, the difference is I wil not assume I have been doing something longer than anyone else or that I am more knowledgable based solely on a number. Time and age are not universal, knowledge and the attainment of it is. Props on the lame *** attempt to make yourself feel better...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont play video games cuz i suck at it (except street fight alpha).......
Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HondaFanatic708</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude man I LOVE UR SIG! but its just that my girlfriend doesnt care as much because she rollin in a nice car too, but she hella IMPATIENT wehn i am fixing up my shizz-snitz!!! LMAO!!! still love that SIG!!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underb00steg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now you going to have to get a rebuid for sure. oh well ...trial and error

i dont play video games cuz i suck at it (except street fight alpha).......</TD></TR></TABLE> You might like SoulCaliber2 then. But the point is I wasn't taking shots at you at all by my first post, just need to clear that up.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Huge Timing Question Need HELP!!!! (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude man I LOVE UR SIG! but its just that my girlfriend doesnt care as much because she rollin in a nice car too, but she hella IMPATIENT wehn i am fixing up my shizz-snitz!!! LMAO!!! still love that SIG!!</TD></TR></TABLE>Thanks man, not to many people have noticed it over the years. But she hasn't been my girl since like 03 so it's all good now. I just know that 97% of the male dating population on H-T here has had or currently has the same problem I did. I'm just hoping my sig will open their eyes to te fact that the bitch isn't going to be around forever so do your thing. A car is the only woman you can leave outside in the rain all night that will still love you and look at you the same the next morning, LMFAO.. The funny thing is the dumb bitch I speak of in my sig still calls me. I was actually pulling a motor the other day and she was trying to bitch at me over the phone for not paying attention to her. I was like "Look you uppidy ****, you tried that **** when we were together and it didn't work, WTF makes you think things have changed now that I've gotten rid of you?" She didn't like that too much, but I guess it didn't **** her off too much because she called me like two days later wanting to kick it. I guess you have to keep the losers around for what their good for, giving head!!

Side note, keep that girl, can't seem to find one like it that hasn't been locked down. Oh and PLUR? Just saw your name..