Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hub nut locked on like a MOOOOOTHER!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub nut locked on like a MOOOOOTHER!!!!!

Ok, here's the deal. I'm taking the H23 out of the shitty *** sol and swapping it into the eg, everything is done but the hub nuts and there not coming off to save my life. I hit them with the impact, nothing. Hit them with the breaker bar, broke my ****ing 1/2 craftsman ratchet... I sheared the damn knobby thing right off in the socket! The axles are only a year old if that, and the nut is shiny and new looking so it isn't rusted on there, but NOTHING! The keyway section the nut was dented in with a punch it looks like, perfectly round and clean. I might not have popped it out all the way but I broke my craftsman screwdriver off trying to pop it up the first time, then I got another one out and hammered it in and it didn't seem to help. I tried tightening it with the impact and loosening it over and over again and it won't budge at all in the keyway either way. I soaked it with PB blaster and let it sit overnight and all day today, any ideas before I go out and mess with it tomorrow? it is normal thread right? I was also thinking of drilling out the punch section all together and threading it for a small set screw for when I put it back in, or a cotter pin... IDK, just need to get it out at this point so I can sell the ****ing sol shell...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hub nut locked on like a MOOOOOTHER!!!!!

You need some serious PSI and a QUALITY impact to get the axle nut off.

I had to take mine off and my sissy Craftsman impact + 17gal compressor just made noise for about 30 mins. I drove to work where we have 125psi running through the lines and grabbed a Ingersoll impact. One trigger pull and it was off. Just get a shop or a friend with good air/tools to get it broken loose, then snug it down with a ratchet to get it home.

ProTip: add anti-seize on the threads on axle + nut. worry less about getting it cold welded or rusting. I pretty much put it on everything that doesn't get thread locker.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.. Go to sears and replace the **** that broke.

I just pulled mine off yesterday. Stuck an old sway bar in between the lug nuts, used a 1/2" breaker and a long F-in pipe (~4 ft) on the end, it broke loose immediately. Didnt even make an attempt at popping the stake out.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by baron340
1.. Go to sears and replace the **** that broke.

I just pulled mine off yesterday. Stuck an old sway bar in between the lug nuts, used a 1/2" breaker and a long F-in pipe (~4 ft) on the end, it broke loose immediately. Didnt even make an attempt at popping the stake out.
yup lol used a 6ft long fence post to get mine loose, lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, sears asked "How did you break this? Were you using a breaker bar?" All is said was "I don't know, it just broke..."
Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H23_del_soul
Yeah, sears asked "How did you break this? Were you using a breaker bar?" All is said was "I don't know, it just broke..."
lmao plead the fifth for sure
Old 08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I told them there was no room for a cheater bar where I was working, I said it was probably just not a well made tool to begin with, of course I told them this after they told me I was going to have to wait 2 weeks for them to repair it. They said they don't just swap them out anymore, they repair them now, new sears deal I guess... too many people breaking shitty tools. I pitched a fit because I needed the ****ing thing right MEOW, and what do you know, they "found some in the back". I had already gone and grabbed a nicer one off of the shelf and said it would be a good replacement and they let me pay the difference and get the thin profile 1/2 ratchet was 17 bucks I didn't want to spend, but I already have 4-5 1/2 inch ratchets in that shitty old design and I wanted the new style with the ergonomic handle :D
Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oxy acetelene and cut the entire thing off.

air tools are your friend.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the axles are not exactly cheap........ not really an option, lol
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience, I've found it to work better if you slowly apply the pressure with a breaker/cheater combo, then just hold the pressure. Once you get a feel for the amount of torque you are applying, very slowly add more in small increments. Pause as you go along to continue to get a new feel for it.

The point is that just yanking the bar up increases the dynamic load on the breaker bar, substantially increasing the chance of sheering off the breaker bar's head.

I just took two froze axles nuts off of an EF for a swap this weekend using that method. No one else could get it and it had already broke one of the breaker bars.
I'm not a very big guy, either ~ brains over brawn.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I tried that just now, twisted the 1/2 inch ratchet, I was going slow and it started to give so I thought "Hey, I should stop... it's either about to come loose, or about to break." I looked at the ratchet and it was the latter, lol. I did swap to my good larger diameter hose for my impact and that got the pass. side nut off though I hit it for 3 cycles of recharging the air tank and it finally came off! I was SO happy! Now does the axle just pull straight of the tranny or what? Now back on to the driver side, what other options are there? Would a breaker bar be any stronger than a ratchet?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I did my clutch the axle nut was on so tight we needed a 3 foot cheater pole fitted into a 2 foot breaker bar, lifted up and bam, **** came right off. **** air tools, cheater pole + breaker bar = win.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I tried that just now, twisted the 1/2 inch ratchet, I was going slow and it started to give so I thought "Hey, I should stop... it's either about to come loose, or about to break." I looked at the ratchet and it was the latter, lol. I did swap to my good larger diameter hose for my impact and that got the pass. side nut off though I hit it for 3 cycles of recharging the air tank and it finally came off! I was SO happy! Now does the axle just pull straight of the tranny or what? Now back on to the driver side, what other options are there? Would a breaker bar be any stronger than a ratchet?
axle should pull out with some love, I can get mine out with a big screw driver usually. you can either pop your ball joint to pull it out or dc all the suspension stuff and try to weasel it past everything.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Imma swap all the suspension more than likely from the sol to the HB, so it'll more than likely be coming off anyway, glad to hear it just comes right out though, lol. I'm heading out to sears meow to get a breaker bar, looks like thats the only way this ****'s happening
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought a bigger badder impact gun.... an hour later, OFF! Turns out the numb nuts that put it on there punched the keyway too far back and were ALL up in the threads like a mother ****er... jackasses...
Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus.. gotta love that **** ><
Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah, least it was on there good..... safety first
Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ROFL at least it came off... They need to start making some tougher tools! Breaking and whatnot... garbage.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, craftsman FTMFL!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought a bigger badder impact gun.... an hour later, OFF! Turns out the numb nuts that put it on there punched the keyway too far back and were ALL up in the threads like a mother ****er... jackasses...
same thing that happen to me... **** was soo "well" stalked