Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle?

Just wondering how long they recommend(sp) a cycle of seafoam on the bottle.

thx
Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle? (Special-Ed)

that stuff works great. did you know you can take out your plugs and put a spoonful or so in there to even clean the top of the pistons?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle? (90gs)

cleans the top of the pistons?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, that is why you run it through the vaccum line. It sucks it in and then during the cumbustion(sp) cycle it is burned and cleans all the carbon build up in the combustion chamber; ie. the piston and cylinder walls and the head(for get the technical name for it). Seafoam recomends you use it every oil change. I do it every other oil change though.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle? (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, that is why you run it through the vaccum line. It sucks it in and then during the cumbustion(sp) cycle it is burned and cleans all the carbon build up in the combustion chamber; ie. the piston and cylinder walls and the head(for get the technical name for it). Seafoam recomends you use it every oil change. I do it every other oil change though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your engine will thank you for even doing it once. Especially if it's got mileage.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can you get this stuff at?? Do you have to order it off the web??

I just pulled this off of the sea foam website.

Check out this link http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

Old 01-24-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Zekers)

I know that NAPA sells it you can try Auto Zone some of them are starting to carry it as well. Other than that I don't know where to find it.

Edit: I think its overkill to do it every 2,000-5,000 miles. Every oil change is fine, but I would save the money and time to do it everyother. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

I have a 92 accord and am thinking of using seafoam. Is there a chance that seafoam can do more harm than good, ie breaking up the carbon buildup and createing leaks? Has anyone used the Seafoam Transmission stuff?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (zumiez007)

I have run seafoam a couple times personally and I guess its ok my car didnt really need it though so I didnt notice anything huge.

Just something interesting I saw.
I was watching Best MotoRing VTEC CLUB and there was a section where they interviewd the owner/founder of Spoon Sports(Dont recall his name). And they were talking about racing oil and the question about detergents and flushes came about.

He clearly stated no, never, not at all. His reasoning. It will brake loose metal particles, debris and get in your rod jurnals ruining your clearances.

That makes sence. I have also read that people have done the engine flush when the inside of their car looked like it was burnt chicken with bulls eye bbq sauce slathered all over. When all of that junk broke loose it clogged the oil passages.

Just somethig to think about. I would still use it through the TB and let the vac lines suck it in but not in the oil. Also I cant confirm this but this stuff cant be good for your o2 sensors.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (_BEN_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _BEN_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> When all of that junk broke loose it clogged the oil passages.

Just somethig to think about. I would still use it through the TB and let the vac lines suck it in but not in the oil. Also I cant confirm this but this stuff cant be good for your o2 sensors. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been repeating that to every customer that ask me about this stuff. For people that know what there doing, just use water. It will steam clean the inside of your engine and you don't have to use chemicals.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:54 AM

can anyone answer my question 92 accord, with 180k miles good idea or bad? Has anyone used the trasnmission fluid?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zumiez007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone answer my question 92 accord, with 180k miles good idea or bad? Has anyone used the trasnmission fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

People are gonna give you there opinion, there are no facts about.

If you put it in your oil it will break down the sludge, but where is it gonna end up ? Not any where good. Also it will break around dirt around your seals, which actually might be helping seal your engine, resulting in oil leaks.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would think that aslong as an engine was normally taken care off and oil changed regularly you wouldn't ahve to worry about the sludge and things like that stopping up oil passages cause there wouldn't be enough of it there to block anything up.

as for the O2 sensor it seems logical that that much carbon and stuff coming out all at once pretty much it could hurt the O2 sensor, but i don't know for sure
Old 01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How often does seafoam reccommend a cycle? (HCivExoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivExoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would think that aslong as an engine was normally taken care off and oil changed regularly you wouldn't ahve to worry about the sludge and things like that stopping up oil passages cause there wouldn't be enough of it there to block anything up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

But if your not worried about any sludge blocking passage ways, why even put seafoam in your engine oil to began with ?