Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol.

Not really trying to do one of the "Hey look at my car and tell me what it's worth" threads. I'm just trying to get a feel of what is a good target amount to aim for in restoring/fixing my Del Sol that I can recoup if I sell. That said, here's the breakdown.

The car is a 1993 Del Sol Si with 197,000 miles. It has a 5 speed and custom leather Del Sol seats. It received some body damage in a wreck and apparently escaped with a clean title. I will be verifying the clean title when I register it.

As it is, I have approximately $1700 invested now. This includes the car, an extra D16Z6, a 1993 Del Sol S for parts, and a gallon of paint.

As of now, the plans are for the Z6 to be rebuilt, Energy Suspension master kit, Tokico blue shocks, Tein springs, OEM CD changer and OEM Anti-theft cassette, full R134A A/C conversion, fully functioning interior, and repainted in the black that comes on the new Nissan Titans (black w/ bronze metal flake).

The only thing major above that I don't currently have is the labor to get it repainted. Accepting the fact that I'll never get compensation for the work I'm putting into the car, I don't want to take a financial loss on the car, since it will only be a temporary driver while I restore my hatch.

My best guesses for what the car will finish out to be put the kbb at approximately $2600. I'm hoping to get finished with it for $2000. Do you all think I can sell it for that when it comes time, given the specs above?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol. (qat727)

it probly "escaped with a clean title" cuz it was never reported to insurance...
Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol. (ZipTieGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it probly "escaped with a clean title" cuz it was never reported to insurance...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I'm familiar with that, but it was my understanding that this was totalled out by insurance, but they did not bother to brand the title on it. May be true... the title I've got for the car isn't branded...... I guess I'm just going to have to either spring for a carfax or just bite the bullet and title it in my name to find out for sure.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol. (qat727)

bump for some suggestions.... I don't want to throw away money that I'll never get back....
Old 02-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the damage fixed? If it is, and you can paint the car for fairly cheap, then I could see the car being worth it. You may not get anything out of it, but I wouldn't see you losing much if anything either. It really matters how much you end up spending on the paint.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest, I would rebuild the Sol and use the hatch as the daily beater. Everyone and their brother has a hatch, but a tastefully modded Sol is very rare.

I bought my '93 Si in perfect condition minus faded paint for around 3,700, wrecked it, rebuilt it. You could probably get 2-4 grand out of your car with just those mods listed.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much is too much? Total cash investment to restore a Del Sol. (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the damage fixed? If it is, and you can paint the car for fairly cheap, then I could see the car being worth it. You may not get anything out of it, but I wouldn't see you losing much if anything either. It really matters how much you end up spending on the paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The damage was pretty much isolated to the front body... the bumper, hood, lights, fenders were shot. I've got all these parts right now less the fenders, and I'm working on a deal to get those. Once they get bolted on, the damage will be fixed. The paint itself it setting in my bedroom right beside me. I've got a friend who is willing to paint it. He does a good job for a good price. I figure by the time I get it painted, I'll have about 2,000 in it for all what's listed above.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imm0rt41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be honest, I would rebuild the Sol and use the hatch as the daily beater. Everyone and their brother has a hatch, but a tastefully modded Sol is very rare.

I bought my '93 Si in perfect condition minus faded paint for around 3,700, wrecked it, rebuilt it. You could probably get 2-4 grand out of your car with just those mods listed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Del Sol is getting completely rebuilt. It wasn't in too bad of shape when I got it, and I'm doing what I can to put it in as nice of shape as possible. However, I've had my Si hatch for longer, and I love it to death. I know a lot of folks have hatchbacks, but the plans I have for mine are not often seen and will take a while to complete. I mainly wanted something very reliable and pretty nice to drive around while I complete my hatch, and possibly keep after that.

You kinda did answer my question, tho. I figure that by the time it gets finished, it will have all of the above listed stuff, and I'll have about 2000 in it. I mainly just wanted to know if I could easily get that money out of it if I had to sell.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with tein springs your car is still gonna be a 4x4, need a lower drop then that man
Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with tein springs your car is still gonna be a 4x4, need a lower drop then that man</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the point isn't to try to modify the car. I currently have Eibach Pro-kit springs on my hatch and I'm quite satisfied. The tein springs are coming in on a parts car, so I won't have anything out of pocket in them. Plus the fact that I am off the paved road pretty often, I don't want to be too low.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (qat727)

If the sol will be for your personal use, sure go for it. I wouldn't expect a lot of cash out of a car with close to 200k on it though.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (got_no_sol)

I guess maybe I didn't phrase the question right. I'm planning to use the car, but with the expectation that it may be sold eventually. I simply wanted to know that with the work I outlined, if I could reasonably expect to get $2,000 out of the car.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (qat727)

i'd buy it for 2000-2200 if i needed a daily beater.
go for it.