Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How I fixed the no-crank problem of my 92 civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I fixed the no-crank problem of my 92 civic

So today i go out to my car it wont start. I turn the key, i hear the fuel pump prime, the car powers up with electricity, but no power to the stater. I got out poped the hood everything looks fine.

It turns out, what was wrong was there is a button all the way to the top of the clutch pedal that needs to be activated by a cheap plastic piece the touches it broke off. There was no way in hell i could reach up there to try to contrap a nut and bolt to the pedal to hit the button when the clutch was compressed. No room at all.

So what i did was disconnect the clutch pedal from the master slave cylinder. You do this buy pulling the pin out, and then the bolt device. So now the pedal is free from the master cylinder. Next i noticed a large bolt going through the pedal holding it in place. I unbolted the bolt to get the pedal free. But it wasnt that easy. The nut came off easily. But the long bolt would smash into electrical components when i tried to pull it out.. But with some wiggling and squeezing i finally got the bolt out and the pedal came free. Make sure you are aware of the spring as well. As when u put the pedal back in, you need to hook it up to the spring that is attached to the floor bracket.

I then went to the local hard ware store and picked up some bolts and nuts. I found several that were a good fit and purchased them. Where the orignal plastic peice broke off of the pedal, there is a hole through the pedal for a nut and bolt to go through to mimic the crappy plastic device that once was.

After the new nut and bolt were tightened onto the pedal i wiggled the pedal up there into place. I hooked the pedal back upto the master cylinder with the pin device. i then bolted the "through" bolt that bolts the pedal to the floor bracket back in. But this time i put the nut and bolt in reverse order. The bolt went through the side where the steering colum is and the nut to the side where the electrical components are. This makes it much easier to put the bolt in and take it out. I m not sure why it wasnt installed that way originally. With the pedal in place, i then got a flat head screw driver, balanced it onto the edge of the spring, compressed the spring, and fit it back into its place on the back end of the pedal.

Problem fixed, and fixed well. I hope this helps someone out there someday because i didnt find much info on this issue online and was lucky to know enough to fix it myself.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: How I fixed my no crank problem

isnt this the 'penny' trick?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
isnt this the 'penny' trick?
Same trick, different (and more complicated) method.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Same trick, different (and more complicated) method.
it is maybe a bit more complicated. I dont imagine getting a penny glued up over the hole is easy either. The hole is far up the pedal, and there is hardly any room. I d imagine this is a more permanent fix too.

Forgot to add, i have a 92 civic. i dont know if the newer ones have more room or something.