Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you buy used shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you buy used shocks?

I would like to pickup some used Koni Yellows.

What should I look for when buying used shocks?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
3lo

any leaking fluid when you push the rods in.
any cracks, bends, shop welding marks, exessive rust.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (Azxster)

bump....but yeah look for leaks, any cracks, see if the shock can actually "shock" hah...basically look for appearance, etc.

why not just but some skunk2's or something else, would save you alot more money?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (Azxster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azxster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you buy used shocks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
3lo

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (Apex08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You don't.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (3lo)

whats wrong with buying used stuff??? if its still in good/reliable shape then who cares. not eveybody is out for the bling factor of brand new parts and not everybody has tons of extra money to buy new parts either. ever buy a jdm motor/part?..... they are used quit bustin this guys ***** for asking a simple question
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (ge_z6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_z6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump....but yeah look for leaks, any cracks, see if the shock can actually "shock" hah...basically look for appearance, etc.

why not just but some skunk2's or something else, would save you alot more money?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Konis are supposed to be nicer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You don't.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever bought a motor swap? Did you buy your 92-00 civic brand new? Just because it's used doesn't mean it's broke ***. I change setups like I change my underpants (twice a month ). I sell used **** all the time. I also buy used **** all the time. As long as it checks out, it's all good. Sometimes people only use stuff for a month before they move on or crash their car or....whatever. Their loss may be your gain.

OP: like people have sad. Look for leaking fluid, make sure that it still has plenty of resistance to pushing the piston in. For konis, you should have to lean on the shock with basically your full weight...and even then, it should only start to press itself in slowly. Look for obvious physical damage. Cracks, rust, welding, etc.

Dont over pay. It's used. Pay much less than new.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should also ask the seller how many miles are on it and maybe if he has receipt?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: (oo9o9xaznoo)

There isn't anything wrong about buying used parts, but shocks is one thing I wouldn't. Reason being is because you really don't know how many miles are on them and if they were abused.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Re: (Alex_G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alex_G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There isn't anything wrong about buying used parts, but shocks is one thing I wouldn't. Reason being is because you really don't know how many miles are on them and if they were abused. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol what about motors? What about buying a used car?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ever bought a motor swap? Did you buy your 92-00 civic brand new? Just because it's used doesn't mean it's broke ***. I change setups like I change my underpants (twice a month ). I sell used **** all the time. I also buy used **** all the time. As long as it checks out, it's all good. Sometimes people only use stuff for a month before they move on or crash their car or....whatever. Their loss may be your gain.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just being a smartass its just kind of hard to take someone seriously when they ask this type of question. I am all for getting used parts with the understanding that it will most likely not be "like new" but should serve the same purpose....and I don't even have a honda.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (Apex08)

with something as cheap as shocks just buy new. motor swaps, cars that would be discussed here, etc cant be bought new so that pretty much makes that point moot.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (slammed00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with something as cheap as shocks just buy new. motor swaps, cars that would be discussed here, etc cant be bought new so that pretty much makes that point moot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you buy a used hood? A fender? An exhaust? Those are all cheap when they're new. If you could buy one of those products in perfect condition for way less than new just because it was used....would you do it?

BTW,
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 AM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (B serious)

all the parts you named there are non functioning parts. of course i would buy a used hood/body parts or exhaust. you can easily tell how good or bad those parts are just by looking at them. shocks can look good and there are some ways to see how good they are. for the most part you dont know until they are on the car. not worth it to me when you can buy new for not much more.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

It all depends on WHY they're being sold in the first place.

If someone has a set of barely used Konis for sale because they upgraded to something crazy, double adjustable, etc. etc. then there's no harm.

If someone's selling blown Konis for very cheap and you can afford to have them rebuilt, then there's no harm.

My Konis have lasted me for 5 years now on 425/550 spring rates, and they're still great.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Re: How do you buy used shocks? (B18C5-EH2)

I agree but it is very rare that you will find/trust this info. Unless you know the seller and the car they came off of. You can either get real lucky or end up paying more then you wanted to.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all the parts you named there are non functioning parts. of course i would buy a used hood/body parts or exhaust. you can easily tell how good or bad those parts are just by looking at them. shocks can look good and there are some ways to see how good they are. for the most part you dont know until they are on the car. not worth it to me when you can buy new for not much more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok...so then that brings me back to the point of buying a used motor or car. You say that you can't tell if they're funtioning 100%. Well, you cant tell when a used car or used motor is functioning 100% sometimes....till it's too late. So there's a risk there.

Then the argument that shocks are cheap and should not be bought used for that reason. Well, hoods, exhausts, and fenders are cheap.

For the argument that they may not be working properly: That's the risk you take with used things. Any used thing. You have to find out why the owner is selling, if the car has been totaled, and how? If it was thrown off a cliff, you dont want the shocks. If there are score marks on the shock piston, stay away. If they're overly rusted, stay away. If the piston is very easy to move up and down, stay away. You just have to know what you're looking for. THAT'S the way to buy used shocks.

If you want complete peace of mind, buy new...but you'll spend way more $$$. If you do have a good eye, you wont get ripped off. I have never been ripped off. People have tried....but I've been blessed with the ability to catch it.

So the lesson in the end: If you dont absolutely know what to look for...either take it to someone who knows, get a warranty or agreement, or dont buy it used.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (3lo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3lo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any leaking fluid when you push the rods in.
any cracks, bends, shop welding marks, exessive rust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. You also want to push the rods in and check for rebound, to make sure they are not blown. Koni Yellows are really nice