Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How Do You Build The Internal On A Single Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Build The Internal On A Single Cam?

Yeah. Wanna build my single cam non V instead of swaping it cause I've heard from a lot of people that did there swaps should of putted that money into there single cam. So since im not big ballin. I was wounder how to build the internal of a single cam. I wanna reach atleast 700hp but don't know how to gain it that much besides maintaining the motor and external add on for the motor to gain a little bit of hp. Is there someone that could help me out or is there a website or book that could teach how to gain hp internaly?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How Do You Build The Internal On A Single Cam?

Well, consider this...

"FAST, CHEAP, RELIABLE, you can only pick two"

Since you said you're not "big ballin" you already chose CHEAP so with your goal you also chose FAST.

Seriously, how much do you really know about working on engines? Some of what you said up top is barely coherent. It sounds like you want to do internal mods and end up with at least 700hp? You may want to search around a bit and read up on some other people's build threads and see what kind of numbers they are reaching because I can guarantee you that no one is making 700hp on a D-Series non VTEC from pure internal work.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Um ya . . . Fail.

But seriously Speedfactory holds the record with just over 600 hp or so on a single boosted with vitara internals and stock sleeves so id talk to them ask em how much that cost. lol . . good luck with this one
Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...=700hp+wagovan

Read through this thread to see what you would have to go through.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I do wanna do turbo too and is there a website that I could check out speed factory?

I don't really know about building but maintaining it as in like taking the motor apart an look for wears and worn parts and replace it. But I wanna learn about boring, timing, which company parts put out this much horses and tourqe and stuff like that. I don't wanna just put a big turbo in it and blow the stock motor cause it couldn't handle dat much boost
Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want 700whp yet haven't the slightest idea how. That poses a slight problem since you're "not big ballin." It costs a lot to go fast...especially when all the work is going to be done by someone else

You need to read the Forced Induction FAQ and spend a little time looking around that forum. Your expectations are unreasonable given your budget and lack of knowledge.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright. so read that and look around and gain more knowlegde. got it. cause i spent my whole morning reading the Bisi thread and everybody said its not easy to to gain that much horses for a single cam. and when they talked about the dyno and numbers started popping out i got lost but they did say with that much horses could shatter the motor and one said that the #4 piston cracked but everything else was mint with a 600hp single cam. and something with a B series having a 900hp. So i hope reading the force induction FAQ thread will help me out with the dyno and internal stuff and numbers. Good lookin out
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read this page too, it explains how the turbo system works
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

oh and btw 300whp will probly be more than enough for you. And it only cost like $3k if you do the work yourself.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With what it would take to make 600 on a single cam, it won't be good for a daily driver. And with that much power, it would again, not be a good daily driver. An extremely aggressive clutch, low compression and some serious upgrades would be needed.

200-300 is more reasonable on a SOHC daily driver. I've talked to some people and the consensus we reached was that 350 or so is probably about the practical limit for a daily driven Civic.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

your going to want to build the motor to be able to handle a lot of boost if you plan on going tubo. Your best bet is probably JE pistons or some other forged piston brand, eagle rods, ACL barrings. Youll probably want to resleeve the block as well as lower compression. your def going to wanna do head work also. ive heard of people using d17 cranks with the d16. this is just for starters but you are def going to want spend the money right and do it right the first time. you have a lot of work ahead of you and like it or not your in this for the long run. if you dont know that much about cars its probably your best interest to get friendly or start talking to a shop that tunes cars. get multiple opinions before you do it. i give you props tho on building the single cam good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM

oh yeah and BTY that turbo on that 700hp wagon is ****ing monsterous
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper64
the consensus we reached was that 350 or so is probably about the practical limit for a daily driven Civic.
That's probably the practical limit, but having more than that is fun if done correctly. For a SOHC, you're looking at some reasonable lag to run a 400+whp capable turbo, but it could be done. As for B series, i'm at just shy of 400whp and that seems like a good range. It would be better with an LSD, but money doesn't allow for that at the moment.

OP: Just keep looking around the Forced Induction forum and continue learning. This isn't something you can pick up in an afternoon. Start small with a first build and learn along the way...some day it may be feasable to build a 6-700whp car for yourself. Today doesn't seem to be that day
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 AM
pm4nudes

people regret it becuase they run out of funds.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Overnight parts from Japan. Not a bad way to spend $10,000. Seriously, it would take so much freaking money to do what you are proposing, and the car would probably not be streetable at all! On top of that, you would probably kill yourself trying to keep it on the road everytime some ricer revved at you, so yeah. As was said earlier, you should start smaller and do a modest build for your first one. Gain that experience and respect for the added power, and move on if you want more. You gotta crawl before you walk.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d16a6 with a delta 272 cam with bisimoto valve springs. vitara pistons with FJT rods (longer/custom size)-brings Compression ratio up to 9.0+ and better rod to stroke ratio. a miniram turbo manifold with a sc61 turbo...

if your serious-- but im pretty sure you will get lazy/cheap and go b-series or just buy ebay kit and boost your stock motor,