Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I stop my rotors from increasing the runout of my rotors?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I stop my rotors from increasing the runout of my rotors?!?

This is going to be the second set of front brake disc's and pads that I have to change because somehow my car makes the rotors have excess runout which causes my brake pedal to vibrate when braking from speeds above 60 kph.
If I switch the front calipers will that fix the problem?
This is on my 99 EJ8 and I have bleed the brakes recently.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How do I stop my rotors from increasing the runout of my rotors?!? (themikewoo)

warping rotors has nothing to do with brake fluid and very little with calipers.

You are overheating the rotors and causing deformation.

Do you brake very hard very often? Carry a lot of weight? Use really really crappy brake pads and rotors?

Did you over torque your wheels? They are only supposed to be torqued to 80lb/ft. A lot of shops like to blast them on there with an impact. This can definitely warp rotors.

Are your calipers seized?

Somehow, too much heat and stress is going into that rotor.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like to downshift so I do not brake hard. I have auto X the car a couple of times I guess that is where this set of rotors might of gotten warped.

I do not carry a lot of extra weight and use good pads and rotors. Brembo blanks and Wagner Pads.

I definitely do not over torque the lug nuts unless my torque wrench is out of calibration.

How can I check to see if my caliper is seized? Lift the car up, spin the tires, and press the brakes. Then let go of the pedal and spin them again seeing if one is dragging.

Thanks for the fast reply B serious.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do I stop my rotors from increasing the runout of my rotors?!? (themikewoo)

Are you certain you aren't just ending up with uneven pad deposits on the rotors? Actually warping rotors if extremely uncommon. You may not be properly bedding-in the pads when you first install them.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will take a look that the pads and see if they are even or not this weekend.

How do you properly "bedd" them?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (themikewoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themikewoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will take a look that the pads and see if they are even or not this weekend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's probably not something you'll be able to see, and it would be an issue with the rotor, not the pads.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themikewoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you properly "bedd" them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes...id=85
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of wheels are you using?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

Thanks for the link Padawan. I will look at that if I choose one of those brands at my local Parts Source.

Can someone tell me how to check if one of my brake calipers are seized? Was the method I described earlier correct or incorrect?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stingray96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stingray96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of wheels are you using?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just took off my 16 inch Rota Circuit 10's and put on my winter steeles. I started to feel them a bit with the Rota's on but I know it is not warped because of uneven/excessive lug nut torque if that is why you asked.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themikewoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like to downshift so I do not brake hard. I have auto X the car a couple of times I guess that is where this set of rotors might of gotten warped.

I do not carry a lot of extra weight and use good pads and rotors. Brembo blanks and Wagner Pads.

I definitely do not over torque the lug nuts unless my torque wrench is out of calibration.

How can I check to see if my caliper is seized? Lift the car up, spin the tires, and press the brakes. Then let go of the pedal and spin them again seeing if one is dragging.

Thanks for the fast reply B serious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The calipers have pins that let them slide back and forth. The pins are behind boots. There are 2 of them. You have to take off the caiper, and check the pins to see if they move freely in and out of the caliper bore.

The rear wheels are easy to check. Lift up the car, turn off the e-brake. Spin the rear wheels. They should spin very freely with little to no resistance.

The fronts are harder to gauge since they have the trans attatched to them. So the best way is to just take off the calipers and make sure the pins aren't seized.

If they are seized, a lot of times, you can just get the pins out and clean them with a wire wheel. Regrease and reinstall.

If they are really bad, you will need new caliper brackets. Or junkyard brackets that are still good (best, most cost effective option). Get those, clean em up, and you're set.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

Yeah I am going to re-grease the caliper slide pins and see if they are dry or there is dirt in it. Do you know if the Honda dealership sells the boot if it is ripped or new slide pins? Or is it sold as the whole assembly?

I know how to check the rear wheels I actually did my brake shoes begging of this recent summer. Man they were annoying. I have a link to a little write-up with pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM

what kind of pads and rotors are you using...and before you saw "OEM", did you get them directly from honda??
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themikewoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I am going to re-grease the caliper slide pins and see if they are dry or there is dirt in it. Do you know if the Honda dealership sells the boot if it is ripped or new slide pins? Or is it sold as the whole assembly?

I know how to check the rear wheels I actually did my brake shoes begging of this recent summer. Man they were annoying. I have a link to a little write-up with pictures if anyone is interested. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure you use caliper sliding grease - Vaseline, lithium grease, etc. will eat away at the rubber boot around the slider.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I stop my rotors from increasing the runout of my rotors?!? (circuitEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by circuitEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of pads and rotors are you using...and before you saw "OEM", did you get them directly from honda??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I use whatever is on sale. It is just my daily driver.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure you use caliper sliding grease - Vaseline, lithium grease, etc. will eat away at the rubber boot around the slider.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah I have the caliper slider grease. I'm at work right now and don't remember the name but it is green.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 AM

You know, it could also just be your upper/lower ball joints or your tie rods. Sometimes these parts will cause a shimmy on braking. A lot of people think that their cars need rotors when they just need other suspension components. Check those out too just to make sure that they're not loose.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

Ok I will also take a look at those. Wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the heads up.