Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING

What do i need to stick through the cam holder into the camshaft THAT WONT BREAK TO GETT THE CAM GEARS OFF. I used punch pins and it worked til it bent, then another one that broke, and broke a punch of other things.

WHAT IS REALLY supposed to be used in that little hole, what did honda have in mind.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (drumminforev)

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...m.php
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (philosofy1)

Yeah all it says is use an impact wrench, it doenst mention any thing about what to use in the holes if im using a manual tool

BUMP
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (drumminforev)

The holes are only for alignment,not tightening or loosening.The stock LS cams have a large hex cast on them if you want to use them.I usually have the belt on it when I tighten or loosen the cam bolts.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah all it says is use an impact wrench, it doenst mention any thing about what to use in the holes if im using a manual tool

BUMP</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading my repair manual, all it says is to drive a screwdriver in between the gears to prevent them from moving.

try taking the same step you would do if you were removing the crank pulley.
if the timing belt is still on, lock down the crank pulley. since the belt is attached the gears won't move, then try the timing gears again.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (philosofy1)

what the hell is up with that power steering pump
Old 10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reading my repair manual, all it says is to drive a screwdriver in between the gears to prevent them from moving.

try taking the same step you would do if you were removing the crank pulley.
if the timing belt is still on, lock down the crank pulley. since the belt is attached the gears won't move, then try the timing gears again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know how to lock the crank pulley.

And at what angle do i stick the screwdriver to lock the cam gears?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do i need to stick through the cam holder into the camshaft THAT WONT BREAK TO GETT THE CAM GEARS OFF. I used punch pins and it worked til it bent, then another one that broke, and broke a punch of other things.

WHAT IS REALLY supposed to be used in that little hole, what did honda have in mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't put anything through the holes in the camgear to steady it, dumbass. The cam has hexagonal sections that fit a wrench. You put the wrench around that section and use your brutal man strength to tear that 27 ft/lb fastner loose! GRRR!

Or you could just get an electric impact gun like a smart person and never have to ask questions like this again. You can get a 250lbs gun from Craftsman for under $150 and it'll take off all but the crank pulley bolt on most Hondas. Mine rips axle nuts off like butter and hasn't met a suspension or engine internal bolt yet that it couldn't take down.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (Archidictus)

Thanks but when the ****** cam holders are still on it not exactly able to do. And i didnt know u could take the cams plates and holders out without the cam gears first.

I got it off with a screwdriver through the sprocket against the head, works perfectly fine. and 150bucks is a lot for a 19yr in college broke
Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (NJIN BUILDR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The holes are only for alignment,not tightening or loosening.The stock LS cams have a large hex cast on them if you want to use them.I usually have the belt on it when I tighten or loosen the cam bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So when the holes in the cam and in the cam plates line up thats tdc?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im lookin at my cams right now and there is no hex anywhere to my eyeballs, where is it
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i remove the CAM GEARS CAMSHAFTS! PIN KEEPS BREAKING (sicones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what the hell is up with that power steering pump</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like a vortech nlower kit to me, an axle goes across the front of the motor to turn the supercharger that sits on the other side
Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well im lookin at my cams right now and there is no hex anywhere to my eyeballs, where is it</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your motor is still in your car, put the car in 1st and have someone stand on the brakes so it doesnt turn over, leave the belt on and break the bolt loose using your hand tools but hit the ratchet instead of simply putting pressure.....tap it with a hammer or your palm

if you dont have any friends, put a jackstand under one of your wheel studs